• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muenchener

Energisation notices in our depot and the WON say the wires went live from 04:00 on 27 October 2018 and are to be treated as live at all times from then. I believe a test train should run some time in the next couple of weeks.
Understood from comments up thread that both ends (Salford & Eux to BSV) were energised but the bit in the middle remained a w.I.p. Understand though whole line must now be treated as live.

Muenchener

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/BON/2018/11/09/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt

Previously mentioned on this thread, there’s paths in on Friday for this, which might be a Northern 331. Or it might just be a 195? Either way keep posted on this thread and someone will post when a test train is due.
Thanks TBS; was aware but took RTT at its word in that they are DMU's as pathed.
Assume they will run as cleared at 100 mph as195's. Are EMU's not yet cleared for use?

LDECRexile

Established Member
I did a Southport-Bolton-Salford Crescent and back railtour today.

LAYMAN ALERT

1. I'd say Ladybridge to Salford Crescent (inclusive) looks juice-ready OVERHEAD.
2. Trackside may be another matter. I do not know if the following need inhibit juice and/or trains.
2.1 Unfinished business Wrinkley has spotted at Lostock
2.2 Lots of Orange and big kit at work on the ziggurat at Lostock
2.3 Trackside cabling runs in the cuttings and tunnel NW of Bolton station look unfinished.
2.4 The switching kit near Squeeze Belly footbridge appears to have been installed, no idea if it is "live"
2.5 the similar kit N of Windsor Bridge North Jct does not appear to have been installed
3. Bolton P2 insulators installed
4. Bolton fencing being extended
5. Bolton masts all appear to have permanent fixings
6. Footbridge immediately N of M60 bridge and associated footpaths appear to be open
7. Masts on the line towards Wigan bear the code LCN nn nn, presumably Lostock to Crow Nest
8. Four planters installed on Bolton P4/5 island

Four photos added to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was dimly aware today of a couple of locations on the Up line where coloured wires (earth straps?) were visible, linking sections of the OHLE.
One was just north of Windsor Bridge, the other just north of the Bolton tunnels.
May be nothing of the kind of course.
Good not to have to count piles/masts/wires at long last (best part of 4 years!).
It'll get boring soon...

TBSchenker

I too spotted the earth straps at Windsor Bridge this afternoon. Hopefully just one or two small issues until full energisation.

Also noticed all the speed boards bagged over (as line speed enhancements did not take place a few weekends ago). Such a better system than the 75mph TSR between Bolton and Chorley with all the speed boards still fully on display (for over a year now).

And that pointless 60mph TSR is still on for the non-existent foot crossing at Adlington.

Francis

Thanks TBS; was aware but took RTT at its word in that they are DMU's as pathed.
Assume they will run as cleared at 100 mph as195's. Are EMU's not yet cleared for use?
The early morning working on 9th November 5Z83 is down on RTT as a 319 EMU. The later workings 5Z84 and 5Z85 are shown as dmus. Curiouser and curiouser.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I missed out that the waiting room and toilets on Bolton Platforms 4/5 island have been spruced up and are working properly (at least I can vouch for the Gents!)

59CosG95

Established Member
GSoP Post 27.0
Manchester Victoria - Preston; State of Play, week beginning 5th November 2018.

All wire runs up! LIVE (from Euxton Jct to Buckshaw Parkway; and from Windsor Bridge South Jct to Ordsall Lane Jct/Deal St Jct) as of 1st October.
As wiring is not completed between Windsor Bridge South Jct & Buckshaw Parkway, testing has been postponed. Speed changes have also been postponed until all wires are live - this is due to be on the 18th of November now.
All mileages from Manchester Victoria. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.

1. Man Vic Station (Platforms 3-6) - Man Vic West Jct - Deal Street Jct; 0m 0ch to 0m 32ch
Fully wired and energised 2013-15.
(N.B. Platforms 1 & 2 at Man Vic have now been bedanglied; more masts may still need to be installed at the east side of Man Vic before wires can go up over all lines; however this is not considered as part of this programme.

2. Deal Street Jct - Windsor Bridge South Jct; 0m 32ch to 1m 46ch
Fully wired and LIVE as of 1/10/18. Wires overlap into the CEMEX sidings (Hope Street). At Salford Central, the westbound (Down) platform has had RSC ducting installed at shin height.
Protruding roof beams were also cut back to facilitate the addition of wires. With Salford Central now wired, all wires are up from Manchester Victoria & Manchester Piccadilly to Euxton Jct.

3. Windsor Bridge South Jct - Windsor Bridge North Jct (inc. Salford Crescent); 1m 46ch to 1m 70ch
Salford Crescent station is fully wired; all wires east and south of Windsor Bridge South Jct are LIVE (as of 1/10/18). P1 (and the avoider) now have Section Insulators.
Repairs to the wooden fence on the eastern side have/are taken/taking place.
The crossovers at Agecroft South Jct, and Windsor Bridge North Jct are also fully wired. Wires are also up on the overruns along the Atherton Line.

4. Windsor Bridge North Jct - Bolton (South End); 1m 70ch to 10m 50ch
The missing track sectioning cabinet north of Windsor Bridge North Jct (along with its now-installed comrade between Moses Gate & the Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge) may be the last piece in the puzzle before current can flow northwards.
Overhead, Salford Crescent to the Ladybridge looks juice-ready.
At Agecroft, there are a couple of masts (sans wires) in the bush alongside the sidings, leading to a terminal gantry with very odd attachments.
At Clifton, Drainage manhole modules are awaiting installation; temporary covers are over their future homes.
Bridge MVE1 27B (immediately NW of the M60 overbridge) is now open.

5. Bolton Station; 10m 50ch
All masts in the station area are now in place. Earth wires now in. Canopies look complete, and platforms now fully open. The temporary fixings have now all gone - all wiring is complete.
Platform 1: Fully wired through the platform and onto the Blackburn overrun, parallel to their comrades on P3.
Platform 2: Line is fully wired (C&C) from the points at Weston St to the SSA (Self-Supporting Anchor - aka "the wicketkeeper"). Insulators have now been installed on the wicketkeeper. Buffers look finished.
Platform 3 (Up Bolton): Fully wired through P3 and onwards to Lostock & the WCML. One "overlap" mast (with 2 reg arms) has now had its "guy rope" (backstay) installed.
Platform 4 (Down Bolton): Fully wired through P4 and onwards to Lostock & the WCML.
Platform 5: UTXs wait to be installed in the works compound west of the track. Engineers also installing a gas pipe in the ducts, to (allegedly) heat the P4/5 waiting room.

6. Bolton (North End) - Lostock (South End); 10m 50ch to 13m 52ch
All lines heading north out of Bolton are now wired: P1 & P3 to the end of the Blackburn overrun, and P3-5 towards the Bullfield Tunnels and thence to Lostock & the WCML.
Cable ducting troughs laid in the Down Side Cess between Bolton Station, past Newport Street, under Soho Street, Black Horse St & New St, and through Bullfield Tunnel.
ATF cable now in the troughs in the immediate vicinity of Bolton Station, although the run back to Lostock is not continuous.

Autotransformer wires now all up between Moor Lane & Mayor St. Bridges, and between Lostock & Ladybridge (on both lines); they have now gone under Dean Clough Bridge & the Ladybridge on both sides.
A UTX has been installed in the "vee" in Lostock Jct; this now takes the ATF wires for both routes at Lostock Jct.
C&C wires also up on the overlap on both lines until the Limit of Wiring. Some dangly arms and half the termination insulators have not yet been installed; those on the Wigan-bound line are now installed.

7. Lostock Station; 13m 52ch
Switchgear box delivered 6th April '18. Over the August Bank Holiday Weekend, the two Autotransformers (AT1 & AT2) were delivered.
One Tensorex drum is still missing a connection to its wres, which are on a temporary webbing strap.
Platform extension/resurfacing work complete on the Down platform and the Up platform.
1 of the 2 reg arms connected to the bridge are not yet registered, but otherwise all the OLE within Lostock is now complete. The registered wires have an insulating plastic shield over them.
ATF wires are in through the ducting by the station car park; they have now been guided through the UTX to the switchgear.
The arrangements at Lostock were designed to support the electrification to Wigan, so the UTX should be sized to take four feeder cables to the proposed neutral section located towards Westhoughton. Two feeders for each track, one each side of the NS. Wigan-Lostock has no AF, classic boosterless only.

8. Lostock (North End) - Euxton Jct; 13m 52ch to 25m 31ch
Two more UTXs have been installed in the "vee" between the Preston & Wigan lines, to the north of Lostock station; one takes the feeder wires for the Wigan Line, the other does the same for the Preston Line.
Immediately north of Lostock, the closest TTCs to the platforms have now sprouted part of their switchgear kit.
ATF wires appear to be finished (at least on the Down side), from Salford Crescent up to Euxton Jct.
Orangemen at work on the footpath at the foot of the northern steps of Heath Charnock FB.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
The early morning working on 9th November 5Z83 is down on RTT as a 319 EMU. The later workings 5Z84 and 5Z85 are shown as dmus. Curiouser and curiouser.
Not really. You can't pay any attention to the timing load on RTT. The Mk 5a tests show as Class 350s, the IET runs on the ECML display variously as Voyagers or 91s and Mk IVs, and the 68s returning to Crewe today after the weekend's runs to Scarborough showed as a Sprinter!

59CosG95

Established Member
Not really. You can't pay any attention to the timing load on RTT. The Mk 5a tests show as Class 350s, the IET runs on the ECML display variously as Voyagers or 91s and Mk IVs, and the 68s returning to Crewe today after the weekend's runs to Scarborough showed as a Sprinter!
And any Turbostar runs show as a 158 - across the board. Chiltern, GA, XC, you name it - any 170 alloxed working is pathed as a 158.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Now for something completely different.

flickr have been taken over and from 8 Jan 2019 will limit people to 1000 free images (we have well over 10,000.) To have more will require a cash subscription which I am not prepared to pay. The Combined Volume and all other albums will, I assume, become defunct. I will delete all images I have entered, whether I took them or others submitted them, around Christmas.

If you are affected by this please contact the new owners.

As you may imagine, I am disappointed.

TBSchenker

If you look at the schedules, one in particular, it’s like they are going over as many crossovers as possible. Would be strange just for a DMU to do runs like that, you’d think they’d want to go from A to B and back to A a few times.

I will certainly keep an eye out on Friday and be around with my camera in case of some unusual workings.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Entirely possible there are no EMU timing links in the database yet (or ones that were there for May 18 originally have been removed) - hence pathing as a DMU.

DJH1971

Established Member

flickr have been taken over and from 8 Jan 2019 will limit people to 1000 free images (we have well over 10,000.) To have more will require a cash subscription which I am not prepared to pay. The Combined Volume and all other albums will, I assume, become defunct. I will delete all images I have entered, whether I took them or others submitted them, around Christmas.

Just nothing but being greedy. They will lose many members.

thealexweb

Could we come to some sort of arrangement where we could take turns to pay the Flickr subscription to save the Combined Volume? I would happily pay the first year which is ~£32.

Wtloild

They were cutting back a significant amount of trackside foliage along the Chorley to Yarrow Viaduct stretch all day Sunday.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Yes and I will pay the 2nd year so 2020. Any chance of allowing everything to be downloadable before then Dave?

Thank you to Gralistair and thealexweb. I will explore how payment is to be handled and let you know. I will be pleased to act as intermediary if that is what you want.

thealexweb

Thank you to Gralistair and thealexweb. I will explore how payment is to be handled and let you know. I will be pleased to act as intermediary if that is what you want.

I imagine the easiest way would be to send you the payments electronically?

Trapper

I thought the extension lead from Heyrod(Stalybridge) needs to be in place running to Ordsall Lane before any EMU running could take place. Any sighting of that work starting yet? Last week it looked like most of the trunking was in place, but still gaps on the viaduct into Victoria.

snowball

Established Member
I thought the extension lead from Heyrod(Stalybridge) needs to be in place running to Ordsall Lane before any EMU running could take place. Any sighting of that work starting yet? Last week it looked like most of the trunking was in place, but still gaps on the viaduct into Victoria.
Post #8586 on page 287 may be relevant here:
I am aware of Mr Locke's comments previously suggesting no electric traction can run without the Great Extension Lead, however I am led to believe that contingency plans are being devised to adjust the feeding of a whole range of surrounding routes such that there would be enough power to drive at least a basic electric service on 'our' line without it. Don't know the details but promising if true.

I imagine they'll turn their attention to the extension lead, and the wiring from Victoria towards Miles Platting, once all work on the Chorley line is complete.

It's not just the free accounts - I've been a Pro subscriber for a number of years - it used to be $44.95 for TWO years, now it's $49.99 for ONE year! That's 122% increase.

LDECRexile

Established Member
The Combined Volume and other albums

Thanks to the generosity of two users I have paid the ransom for 12 months and have funds in place to pay the next year in 12 month's time.

I hope that will mean Business as Usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.