• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
why, whats up for discussion, i'm intrigued, i only look on here or other forums to see whats happening back home.
Gralistair was referring to a lot of stuff that has been the subject of numerous discussions on here over the last couple of years. I'm not clear how much of it you've seen.

Following massive delays and cost increases to electrification projects, over a year ago, Grayling, the transport secretary, cancelled electrification from Cardiff to Swansea, Kettering to Sheffield, and Oxenholme to Windermere. He has also been stalling over the approval of extra platforms at Manchester Piccadilly and appears to be intending to cut back proposals to electrify Manchester to Leeds, York and Selby. In 2016, bits of the GWR electrification were deferred but may be reactivated during the next Control Period: Didcot to Oxford, both approaches to Bristol TM, the Thames branches. Selby to Hull electrification has also been dropped, and the status of Bolton to Wigan is unclear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What's up for discussion, I imagine, with Northern mainly, is how many days of blockades are still needed to complete the electrification project, and when to hold them.
Holding them on a strike Saturday is an intelligent idea, but 2 days' notice from NR is a bit short!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I am not a Grayling fan but I totally understand his frustration and cancelling of electrification schemes. Very frustrating indeed.

Things must be bad. Although I fundamentally disagree with your stance on ploughing on with electrification regardless of everything that has happened I do admire your unwavering optimism that things can only get better as far as electrification schemes are concerned. So if even you are now getting downbeat it just shows what an utter fiasco Manchester – Blackpool electrification has been.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Is it still a fiasco? I cannot tell from this thread. Is it really going to come on stream for electric trains soon? Is the great extension lead (is that the term for a supply from the Manchester end?) going to happen and is the whole thing on hold pending that? The over bridges seem on hold too.

td97

Established Member
319 SRTs don't exist for via Bolton (yet)

100mph DMU SRTs don't exist for stopping at Clifton etc (probably)

You need 100mph DMU for last path due to being via Bolton and needing a fast Chat Moss run (probably)?
Seems plausible - thanks for clarifying

spongsdad

Message from HM Government. "If you are hoping to travel from Preston to Manchester by the wonderful means of electricity, you might be better off using an electric car. Network Rail is suffering from a chronic inability to provide modernisation on time and on budget. Chris Grayling is returning to school to re-sit his GSCEs in the hope that he might develop some useful ability rather than being a useless and incompetent Transport Secretary"

PR1Berske

Established Member
Is it still a fiasco? I cannot tell from this thread. Is it really going to come on stream for electric trains soon? Is the great extension lead (is that the term for a supply from the Manchester end?) going to happen and is the whole thing on hold pending that? The over bridges seem on hold too.
It's not been the best advertising for electrification, that's for sure.

PN27

The 60mph TSR at Adlington appears to have been removed; the blanket 75mph restriction on the route remains, however.

LDECRexile

Established Member
A contributor to flickr has kindly added formal detail to the naming convention I've used for the bridges between Moses Gate and Farnworth:

Moses Gate Station
Overbridge 48 Bolton Road - 9m 39y
Overbridge 47 Unnamed by Network Rail, known to us as Squeeze Belly Entry - 8m 1481y
Overbridge 46 Bentleys - 8m 1227y ("Balustraded Bridge", to us)
Overbridge 45 (Lower) Rawson Street - 8m 960y
Overbridge 44 Pythians Footbridge (unnamed by us, usually referred to in text by things like "looking from the footbridge north of Farnworth station") - 8m 766y
Farnworth Station

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Some orangemen activity around Lostock today, notably at a portal north of the station, and at the ziggurat.
But otherwise all quiet.

59CosG95

Established Member
GSoP Post 29.1
Manchester Victoria - Preston; State of Play, week beginning 19th November 2018.

All wire runs up! LIVE (from Euxton Jct to Buckshaw Parkway; and from Windsor Bridge South Jct to Ordsall Lane Jct/Deal St Jct) as of 1st October.
As wiring is not completed between Windsor Bridge South Jct & Buckshaw Parkway, testing has been postponed. Speed changes have also been postponed until all wires are live - this was due to be on the 18th of November but has been delayed further.
All mileages from Manchester Victoria. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.

1. Man Vic Station (Platforms 3-6) - Man Vic West Jct - Deal Street Jct; 0m 0ch to 0m 32ch
Fully wired and energised 2013-15.
(N.B. Platforms 1 & 2 at Man Vic have now been bedanglied; more masts may still need to be installed at the east side of Man Vic before wires can go up over all lines; however this is not considered as part of this programme.

2. Deal Street Jct - Windsor Bridge South Jct; 0m 32ch to 1m 46ch
Fully wired and LIVE as of 1/10/18. Wires overlap into the CEMEX sidings (Hope Street). At Salford Central, the westbound (Down) platform has had RSC ducting installed at shin height.
Protruding roof beams were also cut back to facilitate the addition of wires. With Salford Central now wired, all wires are up from Manchester Victoria & Manchester Piccadilly to Euxton Jct.

3. Windsor Bridge South Jct - Windsor Bridge North Jct (inc. Salford Crescent); 1m 46ch to 1m 70ch
Salford Crescent station is fully wired; all wires east and south of Windsor Bridge South Jct are LIVE (as of 1/10/18). P1 (and the avoider) now have Section Insulators.
Repairs to the wooden fence on the eastern side have/are taken/taking place.
The crossovers at Agecroft South Jct, and Windsor Bridge North Jct are also fully wired. Wires are also up on the overruns along the Atherton Line.

4. Windsor Bridge North Jct - Bolton (South End); 1m 70ch to 10m 50ch
The track sectioning cabinets (north of Windsor Bridge North Jct, and between Moses Gate/Overbridge 47 "Squeeze Belly Entry") are now both in, but the concrete plinths on which they rest each have 3 ducting tubes sticking up, suggesting more work needs to be done.
Overhead, Salford Crescent to the Ladybridge looks juice-ready.
At Agecroft, there are a couple of masts (sans wires) in the bush alongside the sidings, leading to a terminal gantry with very odd attachments.
At Clifton, Drainage manhole modules are awaiting installation; temporary covers are over their future homes.
Bridge MVE1 27B (immediately NW of the M60 overbridge) is now open.

5. Bolton Station; 10m 50ch
Canopies look complete, and platforms now fully open. All wiring is complete.
Platform 1: Fully wired through the platform and onto the Blackburn overrun, parallel to their comrades on P3.
Platform 2: Line is fully wired (C&C) from the points at Weston St to the SSA (Self-Supporting Anchor - aka "the wicketkeeper"), which is now insulated. Buffers look finished.
Platform 3 (Up Bolton): Fully wired through P3 and onwards to Lostock & the WCML. One "overlap" mast (with 2 reg arms) has now had its "guy rope" (backstay) installed.
Platform 4 (Down Bolton): Fully wired through P4 and onwards to Lostock & the WCML.
Platform 5: UTXs wait to be installed in the works compound west of the track. Engineers also installing a gas pipe in the ducts, to (allegedly) heat the P4/5 waiting room.

6. Bolton (North End) - Lostock (South End); 10m 50ch to 13m 52ch
All lines heading north out of Bolton are now wired: P1 & P3 to the end of the Blackburn overrun, and P3-5 towards the Bullfield Tunnels and thence to Lostock & the WCML.
Cable ducting troughs laid in the Down Side Cess between Bolton Station, past Newport Street, under Soho Street, Black Horse St & New St, and through Bullfield Tunnel.
ATF cable now in the troughs in the immediate vicinity of Bolton Station. The troughing looks all finished NW of Bolton, so it is assumed the run is now complete to Lostock.

Autotransformer wires now all up between Moor Lane & Mayor St. Bridges, and between Lostock & Ladybridge (on both lines); they have now gone under Dean Clough Bridge & the Ladybridge on both sides.
A UTX has been installed in the "vee" in Lostock Jct; this now takes the ATF wires for both routes at Lostock Jct.
C&C wires also up on the overlap on both lines until the Limit of Wiring. Some dangly arms and half the termination insulators have not yet been installed; those on the Wigan-bound line are now installed.

7. Lostock Station; 13m 52ch
Switchgear box delivered 6th April '18. Over the August Bank Holiday Weekend, the two Autotransformers (AT1 & AT2) were delivered.
Orange activity by the "ziggurat" appears to have lessened - is it nearly ready?
One Tensorex drum is still missing a connection to its wres, which are on a temporary webbing strap.
Platform extension/resurfacing work complete on the Down platform and the Up platform.
1 of the 2 reg arms connected to the bridge are not yet registered, but otherwise all the OLE within Lostock is now complete. The registered wires have an insulating plastic shield over them.[/COLOR]
ATF wires are in through the ducting by the station car park; they have now been guided through the UTX to the switchgear.
The arrangements at Lostock were designed to support the electrification to Wigan, so the UTX should be sized to take four feeder cables to the proposed neutral section located towards Westhoughton. Two feeders for each track, one each side of the NS. Wigan-Lostock has no AF, classic boosterless only.

8. Lostock (North End) - Euxton Jct; 13m 52ch to 25m 31ch
Two more UTXs have been installed in the "vee" between the Preston & Wigan lines, to the north of Lostock station; one takes the feeder wires for the Wigan Line, the other does the same for the Preston Line.
Immediately north of Lostock, the closest TTCs to the platforms have now sprouted part of their switchgear kit.
ATF wires appear to be finished (at least on the Down side), from Salford Crescent up to Euxton Jct.
Orangemen at work on the footpath at the foot of the northern steps of Heath Charnock FB.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Last edited:

notlob.divad

Established Member
Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Manchester Victoria - Preston; State of Play, week beginning 19th November 2018.

Speed changes have also been postponed until all wires are live - this is due to be on the 18th of November now.

Did it go live? Otherwise I suggest you are missing a a time Machine? Then again, it could well be 18th November 2019, in which case, carry on.

Hophead

Established Member
The attached poster refers to "ensure the project is finished by the end of the year". Not, you will note, "before the December timetable change". Sounds even more knife-edge than the original Manchester - Golborne Junction scheme from ancient history.

Muenchener

The attached poster refers to "ensure the project is finished by the end of the year". Not, you will note, "before the December timetable change". Sounds even more knife-edge than the original Manchester - Golborne Junction scheme from ancient history.
Are we still on for this year?

Muenchener

My guess - which believe it or not I would put money on:
1) Switched on yes
2) Odd electric test train run yes
3) Signed off by the ORR - probably very doubtful
4) Electrics running in 2019 yes

I'm now resigned to agree with you but only because NR have managed to play a get out of jail card by claiming possessions due to the inability of Northern to run a service on Saturday's because of strike action by the RMT until year end.

Tongue in cheek; have you got the film rights on this epic? The script is almost written!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Tongue in cheek; have you got the film rights on this epic? The script is almost written!

Dave aka LDECREXILE has in the combined album with not far off 10000 photos in and of course this thread. So certainly enough for a documentary but would not want to make any money off it as I have only made a relatively small contribution. We are very lucky in that there have been a large number of contributors to these resources.

td97

Established Member
does anyone have an idea of what work requires to be completed
The additional Saturday blockades are apparently related to overhead wire tolerances - so I guess snagging work
Duncan Law, one of the project managers on the North West’s electrification scheme, explained that the work was related to tolerances on the overhead wires used to run electrical trains.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/new...ay-trains-cancelled-for-the-next-three-weeks/

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Seriously fab day out with Dave and Keith today. As I have not been down the line ( Manchester to Preston) since August I saw amazing progress and to my untrained eye looks complete and juicable. I will send a few photos to Dave who will no doubt compile a report.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Seriously fab day out with Dave and Keith today. As I have not been down the line ( Manchester to Preston) since August I saw amazing progress and to my untrained eye looks complete and juicable. I will send a few photos to Dave who will no doubt compile a report.

Seriously fab day out indeed.

LAYMAN ALERT

On what we saw today I reckon NR's claim that these three weekends' possessions are to finish off is credible, if "finish off" means juicable.

So I echo and update Graham's Post #8933, above, ie:

On or by 31st Dec:

1) Switched on yes
2) MENTOR or odd electric test train run yes (though Christmas hols may scupper that)
3) Signed off by the ORR - very doubtful

4) Electrics running in early 2019 yes.
5) Steady build-up to significant electric running by May timetable feasible.

LAYMAN ALERT ENDS

Here are today's photos by Graham :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157651259517065

and our collective output:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
From time to time posters have queried the absence of any raised parapets on the M61 crossing. I have just driven on the M9 across the Stirling line. There is a sign saying 'hard shoulder closed for 100m'. The section across the line had the usual white line pattern indicating closed to vehicles. There has been no raising of the parapet, which was certainly no more than 1m.

Status
Not open for further replies.