• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wrinkley

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Well Dave and I had an outstanding day out today and I am sure he will post photos in the next two or 3 days or so. Basically we did Fylde Junction all the way to Poulton-le Fylde and we counted at minimum 20 different locations visited. In summary huge progress. Even where there are no masts there are quite often masts laid down horizontally ready for install. Orangemen aplenty doing signal work etc. I also counted 7 diggers in action at Kirkham so really pushing a long quite nicely. I am still a little bemused that at Salwick there was no bases/piles in the ground though they are still there in huge heaps ! but even there there is other related work in evidence. Great progress great day out great company - oh and by the way, the fish and chips and cup of tea was pretty awesome too .

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Well Dave and I had an outstanding day out today and I am sure he will post photos in the next two or 3 days or so. Basically we did Fylde Junction all the way to Poulton-le Fylde and we counted at minimum 20 different locations. In summary huge progress. Even where there are no masts there are quite often masts laid down horizontally ready for install. Orangemen aplenty doing signal work etc. I also counted 7 diggers in action at Kirkham so really pushing a long quite nicely. I am still a little bemused that at Salwick there was no bases/piles in the ground though they are still there in huge heaps ! but even there there is other related work in evidence. Great progress great day out great company - oh and by the way, the fish and chips and cup of tea was pretty awesome too .

Hear hear!

Have started on the photo mountain....

Dave

CdBrux

Does anyone know how this project is doing regarding delivery to budget and time. I understand timewise it has been delayed a bit, but how is the budget side doing?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how this project is doing regarding delivery to budget and time. I understand timewise it has been delayed a bit, but how is the budget side doing?

We get no clues about the budget side unless NR says something specific.
In any case, NR has never publicised the contracts for NW Phases 3 onwards, or their value, unlike Phases 1/2 (Liverpool-Manchester/Wigan).
It would be a surprise if it was on budget though, as there was the hiatus over closing a contract with Balfour Beatty which cost a year and required redesign by their successors (a consortium).
Some of the initial concrete bases on the Lostock-Euxton section had to be replaced by piles.
The Farnworth Tunnel project overran significantly as well, and we hear stories of problems in old mining areas.

The Ordsall Chord project also changed the southern end of the original Phase 4 (Manchester-Preston), with resignalling and remodelling of Ordsall Lane and Deal St junctions.
Presumably that work was funded as part of the Chord project.
The cutback on the Manchester-Stalybridge project is another hint of overspend.

Carillion is one of the firms delivering the NW scheme, and today they posted a heavy loss, fired the boss and said they are reviewing all parts of the business (just like Balfour Beatty did a couple of years ago).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40554302

They say they will only take on profitable business going forward.
While there's nothing specific about rail electrification in there, it might well have an impact on project roll-out.
They are also doing the Shotts line electrification in Scotland (and, I think, the MML Bedford-Corby section).
Network Rail's general slow-down in project roll-out will also affect all their major contractors.

CdBrux

Thanks, it would be interesting to know of costs vs budget for the pure electrification part (as much as this is unlikely to be fully clearcut) and after BB left. I think the Carillon move gives an idea. Unfortunately electrification in the past years as widely discussed around these forums in the last few days has not been a great success for a multitude of reasons

Codville

I have to admit I've always been a bit curious as to what is in the arch under Kirkham station.

TBSchenker

I have to admit I've always been a bit curious as to what is in the arch under Kirkham station.

When i was working around there a few years ago nothing interesting! It became a Pway storage area - a few TSR boards, rock salt and a bit of rubbish!

Elecman

Established Member

It used to be the disabled access route from the car park and a storage area forpway and station crud when the ply depotvwas based in a portacabin there. The S&T had the other side of the staircase.

Codville

When i was working around there a few years ago nothing interesting! It became a Pway storage area - a few TSR boards, rock salt and a bit of rubbish!

It used to be the disabled access route from the car park and a storage area forpway and station crud when the ply depotvwas based in a portacabin there. The S&T had the other side of the staircase.

Ah, fair enough!

snowball

Established Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
Many thanks for a huge and fascinating collection.

7772e and g appear to have been accidentally given the same caption as 7772k and m.

I think 7736i may be the first picture I've seen of the mouth of the Farnworth mousehole since it was fenced off and tidied up.

Thanks for the bouquet. Goodness knows how I scrambled the captions, must be lack of beer. I've fixed them now.

Followers of "our" line and the Liverpool-Manchester will be interested in Fields, N; Gilbert, A C; Knight, N R (1980), Liverpool to Manchester into the Second Century, Manchester Transport Museum Society, ISBN 978-0-900857-19-5

This fine photobook covers all four Liv-Man routes and includes, for example, a Mickey Mouse scooping water on the Ladybridge troughs hauling a Liverpool-Bury train and shots at Brindle Heath.

TBSchenker

is there any reason why masts are shooting up between Preston and Blackpool, even though it is May 2018 that the electrification will be completed for that stretch, yet there's still patches of Railway with no bases in between Ordsall Lane and Euxton Jn? You'd think they'd focus all resources on getting the route via Chorley done pretty damn quick.

Lankyline

is there any reason why masts are shooting up between Preston and Blackpool, even though it is May 2018 that the electrification will be completed for that stretch, yet there's still patches of Railway with no bases in between Ordsall Lane and Euxton Jn? You'd think they'd focus all resources on getting the route via Chorley done pretty damn quick.

Piling tonight in Chorley and as usual the local media managed to find a few local moaners!

LDECRexile

Established Member

I've asked myself the same question several times. My uninformed, layman's answer is that there are so many other things on Salford-Euxton which have to be done first that they may as well crack on north of Preston. My repeated observation was borne out on my tour yesterday when I could have followed the railway by ear, listening to drivers using their horns to alert Orangemen who mostly seemed to be plaiting signalling wire. The amount of signalling renewal/change is seriously impressive, but it ain't all done yet.

I remember similar experiences on Liverpool-Manchester, in particular a day at Nine Arches viaduct at Earlestown when I could track approaching trains by horn blows miles away.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

They may be waiting to do a blitz during the Bolton blockade.
On the other hand, they let endless previous weekend blockades pass without apparently doing any electrification work.
It's always possible the design is incomplete (or has to be done again).

Status
Not open for further replies.