• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blockade to allow Waterloo upgrade to take place, resulting in timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the work going on at Vauxhall (country end of the P7/8 island) just a case of taking advantage of the closure of those lines to passenger services?

Noticed a big yellow Ainscough mobile crane lifting something this afternoon, but couldn't see any details of what was on the end of the wires...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Is the work going on at Vauxhall (country end of the P7/8 island) just a case of taking advantage of the closure of those lines to passenger services?

Noticed a big yellow Ainscough mobile crane lifting something this afternoon, but couldn't see any details of what was on the end of the wires...

I would imagine so? Looks like quite a bit of work going on there.

TEW

Established Member

I presume so. Aren't they meant to be installing an extra flight of stairs to the subway?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I presume so. Aren't they meant to be installing an extra flight of stairs to the subway?

Found it now, thanks to Google:

Network Rail’s orange army will replace the current lift and construct a new staircase, in addition to the two staircases already available, on platform 7 & 8. The upgrades are part of the £800 million Waterloo & South West Upgrade that will see more trains and longer trains operating to and from Waterloo.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre....earn-more-about-vauxhall-station-improvements

Sounds as if it is justified as being needed for the longer trains from December?

Malcolmffc

Sounds as if it is justified as being needed for the longer trains from December?

Bit ridiculous they are ripping out the existing lift when it was only installed about 4 years ago. Surely this work should have been done as part of that project?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Bit ridiculous they are ripping out the existing lift when it was only installed about 4 years ago. Surely this work should have been done as part of that project?

I'm sure they have a very good reason.Perhaps they should have consulted with the press who know everything.

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member

Where's the bottom of the new staircase going to come out? Guessing pointing the other way to the existing two, but still in to the subway?

TEW

Established Member

I guess so. It has always been planned as part of the wider upgrades that go with the Waterloo Upgrade itself. I'm sure there were works elsewhere due too, Surbiton comes to mind.

TEW

Established Member
Where's the bottom of the new staircase going to come out? Guessing pointing the other way to the existing two, but still in to the subway?

I'm not sure of any of the details I'm afraid, I just remembered that the work was planned.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I guess it'll mean that best use is made of the 10 car length trains, so Vauxhall boarders/alighters are encouraged to spread around the middle/south end of the train, with Waterloo passengers headed to the front/middle. Sensible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I guess so. It has always been planned as part of the wider upgrades that go with the Waterloo Upgrade itself. I'm sure there were works elsewhere due too, Surbiton comes to mind.

Yes, I think this is possibly a wider issue for discussion, i.e. what has been mentioned by NR previously but isn't obviously occurring yet.

There was a letter I downloaded from one of the planning applications that covered the international platform changes above Westminster Bridge Rd. It referred to wider network upgrades, it included passenger circulation improvements at Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Wimbledon, Richmond and Surbiton. Also re-opening Queenstown Rd P1, and adding a Hounslow turnback.

What was missing of course was anything about timescales...

spark001uk

Established Member
One thing I've noticed - seeing as the franchise takeover is in the middle of these works, are we to assume the absence of any announcement of a launch event is because they don't want to clutter up Waterloo at such a crucial time? I wonder if they're just postponing it, or are they still going ahead with it but somewhere else perhaps? Anyone heard anything?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
One thing I've noticed - seeing as the franchise takeover is in the middle of these works, are we to assume the absence of any announcement of a launch event is because they don't want to clutter up Waterloo at such a crucial time? I wonder if they're just postponing it, or are they still going ahead with it but somewhere else perhaps? Anyone heard anything?

Sept 4th is the date for the launch. It was put on their staff update site a while ago, and mentioned in the 'new franchise thread' in the general forum.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3070367&postcount=2080

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Yes, I think this is possibly a wider issue for discussion, i.e. what has been mentioned by NR previously but isn't obviously occurring yet.

There was a letter I downloaded from one of the planning applications that covered the international platform changes above Westminster Bridge Rd. It referred to wider network upgrades, it included passenger circulation improvements at Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Wimbledon, Richmond and Surbiton. Also re-opening Queenstown Rd P1, and adding a Hounslow turnback.

That's what I was thinking of. The Hounslow turnback was mentioned in the Track Access Application by First/MTR of course, the impression being that it was some way off yet.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I noticed on Friday that a GWR guard boards the Reading bound services, I guess for route knowledge?

Also is that 66 in the siding next to platform 5 at Basingstoke got something to do with the Waterloo works?

GW43125

Established Member
I noticed on Friday that a GWR guard boards the Reading bound services, I guess for route knowledge?

Also is that 66 in the siding next to platform 5 at Basingstoke got something to do with the Waterloo works?

Re 1: I'm told not all SWT crews sign to Reading

Re 2: I'm told it's a standby should something go backside-up round that way

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed this morning that a 7.50 arriving at Guildford from Waterloo via Bookham causes a conflict with the 7.49 Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham. That train leaves from platform 2 and the other, platform 1.

If both trains are on time or the 7.50 arrival is a minute early passing through London Road, then either the 7.49 has to depart 2 minutes late or the 7.50 is held and arrives a minute late.

Would letting the 7.49 leave at 7.46 help at all? I suspect not or they would have done it, as what might be the 7.19 leaves at 7.16, to avoid delaying the 7.22 to London Bridge.

Edit: I've looked at last week's timetable and most of the train theor is a 20 and 50 arrival. During the morning peak it skips l stations between Effingham Junction and Guildford. After the morning peak it stops at time. However after 17.00 it doesn't skip them and arrives at 17:24, for example.

Could the morning service stop at the stations and arrive at 24 or 54 past to avoid the conflict.

I notice for most of the off peak day the 20 and 50 were arriving late so it didn't cause a conflict.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what additional works are being done that weekends, which require some trains to terminate at Surbtion and others to run via Stains?

rj90

Vauxhall is underway now, it's all for passenger circulation reasons to aid egress from station
Clapham get de scoped due to crossrail 2
Wimbledon same as Clapham
Richmond turned out wasn't needed
Surbiton got de scoped because of money - should be in cp6
QTR platform 1 should be in cp6
Hounslow turn back should be cp6

infobleep

Veteran Member
Vauxhall is underway now, it's all for passenger circulation reasons to aid egress from station
Clapham get de scoped due to crossrail 2
Wimbledon same as Clapham
Richmond turned out wasn't needed
Surbiton got de scoped because of money - should be in cp6
QTR platform 1 should be in cp6
Hounslow turn back should be cp6
It's a good job the Transport Secretary has given his backing to Crossrail 2 or might end up in a situation where they don't want to do some works because Crossrail 2 might happen but Crossrail 2 keeps being delayed due to funding issues. Thus nothing gets done.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what additional works are being done that weekends, which require some trains to terminate at Surbtion and others to run via Stains?

There are more lines and platforms out of action on Sat and Sun compared to weekdays. It was the same on the first weekend. AFAICS from RTT and OTT maps P11-14 are blocked weekends only, and the Up Main and Down Main are also blocked on the up side of Vauxhall. That suggests certain S&C alterations only take place on weekends when the service can be thinned out more.

Running the whole Sunday service on the Windsor side is not actually that unusual under normal engineering work at weekends. Running up mainline trains via Staines gets them onto the Windsor side for the final approach to Waterloo, but down trains may still be able to run via Wimbledon depending on the exact blockade area.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are more lines and platforms out of action on Sat and Sun compared to weekdays. It was the same on the first weekend. AFAICS from RTT and OTT maps P11-14 are blocked weekends only, and the Up Main and Down Main are also blocked on the up side of Vauxhall. That suggests certain S&C alterations only take place on weekends when the service can be thinned out more.

Running the whole Sunday service on the Windsor side is not actually that unusual under normal engineering work at weekends. Running up mainline trains via Staines gets them onto the Windsor side for the final approach to Waterloo, but down trains may still be able to run via Wimbledon depending on the exact blockade area.
Thanks for that. Makes sense.

spark001uk

Established Member
There are more lines and platforms out of action on Sat and Sun compared to weekdays. It was the same on the first weekend. AFAICS from RTT and OTT maps P11-14 are blocked weekends only...

Almost. They are still used a bit according to RTT, mainly just in the early hours, and up to 0926 Sunday.

LJA

Granted I get to Clapham junction relatively late in the morning (8.30) but the one way system seems completely over the top with loads of staff doing nothing.

The station seems no busier than normal yet they're forcing people to walk round the whole station, blocking completely empty stairways. SWs only respond seems to be that they have advised there is a queuing system in place, so guess we'll have to deal with it for the rest of August.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It has been quite surprising actually that a lot of people have for once, heeded the advice given and are avoiding Waterloo completely. And it's very nice too. :D

Minimal waits for the coffee stalls etc. :D

southerner

Granted I get to Clapham junction relatively late in the morning (8.30) but the one way system seems completely over the top with loads of staff doing nothing.

The station seems no busier than normal yet they're forcing people to walk round the whole station, blocking completely empty stairways. SWs only respond seems to be that they have advised there is a queuing system in place, so guess we'll have to deal with it for the rest of August.

I think someone at CLJ was giving out doses of common sense this evening. The stairs down to platform 11 were not barricaded off by angry looking staff and big metal barriers. The barriers were still there but off to one side just in case it got too busy, with the usual staff member standing there to assist if needed. Much better!

Antman

Established Member

That's been my experience too, appears a lot of people have made alternative arrangements. The Grant Road side is supposed to be exit only but ticket gates were open and passengers were free to enter as well. A lot of staff just standing around in case it gets busy and likewise at Vauxhall, better safe than sorry.

Kieran1990

Used Waterloo twice this weekend. Friday night was busy busy on the concourse but my 12 450 ex1853 to Alton wasn't busy at all.
Came in mid-morning today from Guildford- another 12 car 450- we seem to really go for it Woking to Clapham Jct, felt like we were flat out. The approach to Waterloo was slow but we didn't seem to dwell for long.
Overall a very pleasant experience.. hats off to SWT peornsally- plenty of frontline staff out and about!

Tio Terry

It's a good job the Transport Secretary has given his backing to Crossrail 2 or might end up in a situation where they don't want to do some works because Crossrail 2 might happen but Crossrail 2 keeps being delayed due to funding issues. Thus nothing gets done.

The Transport Secretary, my local MP, travels from Ashtead to Waterloo. I'm pretty sure he will be keen to ensure his service is adequately provided for.

Status
Not open for further replies.