• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluebell to get an EMU and another diesel in the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJ_K666

The Slammer hasn't really had any proper mainline duties since SWT finished using them (apart from on the Lymington branch) a couple of years ago. The Bluebell Railway has purchased the unit and it is to be used (I believe) to advertise the extension that is currently taking place between Kingscote and East Grinstead. It'll therefore be kept at EG until the Bluebell finally reach the town. After the extension is complete, I'm not sure what will happen to the unit, whether it'll be sold on or kept. I don't think that it will have much use on the line as only air braked locos can work with it, something that the Bluebell doesn't have AFAIK.

DavyCrocket or someone else maybe be able to shed further information regarding 3417.

Birch Grove has air pipes but they`d need extensions for it to work with the VEP (piece of cake really) so they could steam haul it. After all, It may not be steam but the blue era is an undeniable part of railway history. You couldn`t accurately paint a VEP green...

Having said that they could in theory sell it on to the Mid Hants. The contract of sale said it has to be kept in good nick AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.