• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris Johnson Announcement Discussion - 10/05/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3rd rail land

This was one thing I am still waiting for. I have followed the rules and not seen my parents for two months now, I also live alone! Similarly, I've spoke to people a lot over the internet for work, leisure and family but it isn't the same... I do appreciate it is not the right time now and therefore we do not really know when it will be.
I also live on my own. I have one remaining parent and he lives in a care home so the chances of getting to seen him anytime soon is precisely zero. Visitors were banned shortly before Boris originally announced lockdown.
Like yourself I do talk to people via various collaboration tools such as Skype, Zoom etc for both work and leisure whioch is the only way I get to interact with people at the moment. Unless you count speaking to a supermarket worker which I don't!

MDB1images

What was the point of delivering that speech at 7pm on a Sunday night?

It offered more questions than answers and the big potential for lots of workers to turn up for Public Transport tomorrow morning as they've been told to go back to work and the option of walking/cycling is non existent.

Whether you agree with Sturgeons stance at least it's crystal clear and you know where you stand, the announcement of the UK PM will leave many asking can I or can't I do that, incredibly poor.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My take on it is that you can meet people from other households so long as you are outdoors and observe social distancing (and obviously so long as none of you are high risk or shielding).

I am certainly planning on meeting family members and friends on this basis over the next couple of weeks.

If you're correct (I think the Press Conference will make it clear tomorrow) I might well go on a bike ride with another friend who also lives alone, perhaps sitting somewhere nice for sandwiches for lunch. We will be able to do that while remaining 2m apart throughout. If I'm within 2m of him while cycling, that's really rather dangerous even without any virus!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Problem is that those who favour locking down for a very long time are very vocal and active so I don't think they really had much choice.
Completely agree. For all those mouthing off this morning about billionaires when the revised tagline was announced, and complaints about how Conservative party donors were allegedly putting pressure on the government; they really didn't have much of an option. It is clear that the Conservative party is not running this government.

bramling

Veteran Member
My take - here is the overview. Tomorrow debated fully in parliament. We will know more tomorrow night

The trouble is, this was his moment to cut through to people, his first proper appearance since the lockdown one, and he simply didn’t do that (IMO). No clarity about the way forward at all, and an utterly bizarre probably false hope to the hospitality sector - I’m sure he meant hotels, not pubs for example, but as usual we don’t really know what he meant.

Sturgeon’s message was so much clearer. Personally I think she’s erring a little on the doom side in some ways, but at least her message was totally crystal clear.

Mogster

I can’t help but feel the public view of “we need to stay locked in until a vaccine” combined with his own experiences of nearly dying from the virus has influenced the government views and essentially partially blinded their views to the horrific damage this is doing to the economy.

I was looking for reassurance and I now feel that my generation are going to lose out on the opportunities that we would have had for perhaps decades simply to protect those who are shielding and whilst of course I want to protect people and prevent any unnecessary death, I feel my and my generations prospects and future are simply being overlooked compared to those of the elderly.

I do agree about the economic effects, it’s truly frightening.

Overall deaths reported on the ONS mortality stats remain very high though. As we are locked down I don’t logically see how we can start to return to normal while deaths remain so far above average. Hopefully over the next few weeks we’ll see a fall back to something near 5 year average. Unfortunately I feel the media hysteria surrounding the virus will lead to the government taking a zero risk approach...

thejuggler

Missed it. Any scientific reasons for his changes, or was it a case of 'we've got loads of ICU beds free now so if you get ill the NHS won't be overwhelmed'?

The_Train

Established Member
Do I get to see friends/family? I live on my own and haven't had human contact for two months.

I'm in the same boat. Lots of positive talk about spending more time outside with people from the same household but it appears that those living alone are becoming a little forgotten. I understand the logic of the same household thing (although I live in an apartment block and come into close proximity with other people quite easily) but it doesn't make it any easier. I find myself saying hello to anyone when I am on my daily exercise just to have some human contact :lol:

Darandio

Established Member
So I can go to the lake.district or Cornwall, but no visits to family or friends.

As you will be allowed to do more exercise from Wednesday or sit in a park and enjoy the sun, there is nothing stopping family and friends doing the same to meet up that way, just follow the social distancing rules. Given there is now an emphasis on allowing people to travel to other destinations these new rules actually give people a chance to have contact with loved ones.

Established Member
If you're correct (I think the Press Conference will make it clear tomorrow) I might well go on a bike ride with another friend who also lives alone, perhaps sitting somewhere nice for sandwiches for lunch. We will be able to do that while remaining 2m apart throughout. If I'm within 2m of him while cycling, that's really rather dangerous even without any virus!

I don’t think anyone could criticise you for doing that. It’s not great that there are so many unanswered questions and we will have to hope the press conference fills in the blanks.

We can now sit in a park, so does that mean we can sunbathe? We can drive for exercise, does that mean we can all pile into the car and head to Brighton beach on the next sunny weekend?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As you will be allowed to do more exercise from Wednesday or sit in a park and enjoy the sun, there is nothing stopping family and friends doing the same to meet up that way, just follow the social distancing rules. Given there is now an emphasis on allowing people to travel to other destinations these new rules actually give people a chance to have contact with loved ones.

Unless you don't drive of course. Still full lockdown.

Bow Fell

The trouble is, this was his moment to cut through to people, his first proper appearance since the lockdown one, and he simply didn’t do that (IMO). No clarity about the way forward at all, and an utterly bizarre probably false hope to the hospitality sector - I’m sure he meant hotels, not pubs for example, but as usual we don’t really know what he meant.

Sturgeon’s message was so much clearer. Personally I think she’s erring a little on the doom side in some ways, but at least her message was totally crystal clear.

I’m all for getting going again, although working on the railway, nothing much has actually changed for me to be honest!

I would like a gradual introduction of more services over the coming weeks. However does tonight’s message put that back?

18th May was to be the date with a reintroduction of more services.

I’ll be watching closely tomorrow morning peak hour.

“If you can’t work from home, go back to work, but don’t use public transport”

Public transport loadings will be very interesting tomorrow.

Jozhua

Established Member
From what was said tonight, it sounds like it will be several months longer I’m afraid.

Im in a similar position as are many others and I feel much more concerned that I won’t be able to see family or friends until at least August or perhaps beyond as the steps up to July had no mention of this
Yeah, it's the try not to get depression challenge 2020 lmao, I think I've got 7/8 weeks under my belt reasonably sucessfully, but who knows from here on out...
Problem is that those who favour locking down for a very long time are very vocal and active so I don't think they really had much choice.
Those who are in favour of locking down for a very long time seem to be millennials and gen X's in nice relationships with families and houses with gardens. "We can sustain this for years, think about someone else you selfish hospitality worker who lives alone in a tiny flat!"
The message appears to have moved on from stay at home and essential travel only. You can now sit in a park (or sunbathe) so nothing really stopping you arranging to meet up with friends providing you maintain social distance. Same goes for family, you could visit them just no close contact.
Great thing for me is I'm stuck up where I go to uni, everyone from uni has gone home and my family lives 100 miles away...
Missed it. Any scientific reasons for his changes, or was it a case of 'we've got loads of ICU beds free now so if you get ill the NHS won't be overwhelmed'?
Well, not much has changed at all tbh.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
At last, I will be able to resume with my bus full route visual timelapses. Except that as I want to avoid public transport for now, I will film them from my car.

Though it won't be all the routes I have planned because some bus routes have sections reserved to buses only.

Darandio

Established Member
Unless you don't drive of course. Still full lockdown.

I don't currently have a car but my family can still walk or cycle to a local park where the kids can see their grandad. I'd imagine many will be able to do similar.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
And it does seem that I may still have to avoid meeting my friends and other members of my family for now... to be fair I'd much rather be safe than sorry like I'm sure everybody else would.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Yep, I don't drive, so looks like I'm stuffed.

I don't drive either but my parents do, so I'll do the filming from the car and my parents will do the driving.

Sorry to hear this, btw. You can go for a walk in your area though, as long as you try and stay at least 2 meters apart form other people.

AM9

Veteran Member
So I can go to the lake.district or Cornwall, but no visits to family or friends.
I think that was yet another area where a vague 'sweetener' will cause so many problems. He said:
"And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.
You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household."
So that is an open invitation to drive the length of England in the interests of 'exercise'. There will be those whose necessary exercise will involve travelling 200+ miles, (no doubt hoping that the motorways will be lightly loaded so that they can 'test' that their cars still work), then arriving at some beauty spot/tourist attraction along with hundreds of others with similar thoughts. Such an ill-conceived statement will cause so many problems, - and queues on the motorways. It was bad enough when some inconsiderate twit drove from London to the Lake District yesterday, today's announcement will mean that there will be hundreds of unthinking individuals really creating problems.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I’m all for getting going again, although working on the railway, nothing much has actually changed for me to be honest!

I would like a gradual introduction of more services over the coming weeks. However does tonight’s message put that back?

18th May was to be the date with a reintroduction of more services.

I’ll be watching closely tomorrow morning peak hour.

“If you can’t work from home, go back to work, but don’t use public transport”

Public transport loadings will be very interesting tomorrow.

This is exactly why I'm avoiding to film bus routes onboard the bus, for now.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
There's no way in a months time they can just sit there having not changed anything. The announcement tonight implied that they were willing to wait several months until it is 'safe' to head out, but I refuse to believe there's not at least one person observant enough on the government to realise the serious, serious economic damage this is causing and I can't see them sitting back and letting this happen whilst the future of this country dies away more literally as every day passes. We NEED to get this country moving again, and whilst I appreciate it's important to protect the vulnerable, the government picked the totally wrong approach to lockdown and instead of reasoning with the public tried to terrorise them inside their homes. If we don't do anything until June or July there'll be little to no economy left by the time we fully get out of this and it's my generation that is going to have to clean up this mess because we were too focused on protecting those who it wouldn't affect as badly. I appreciate my views can come across as a little blunt and selfish, and that's not my intention, of course every life lost in this pandemic is a tragedy and I want to prevent any unnecessary deaths if at all possible, but I refuse to watch my country die away simply because the public were too blinded by fear to get it moving again.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Quarantine arriving by air. Looks like I am not visiting my mother anytime soon.
Australia have been doing that for more than a month!! We were astonished that when we came back to the UK last month, no such thing applied. We didn’t even have anyone checking arriving passengers’ temperatures!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I can't see it lasting to be honest. They will need to come up with some sort of plan to enable limited social interaction soon.
I give this plan a month or two at the very most before they realise that the death and infection rates aren't going to fall as much as they need but they have to open the economy and let us see each other, it's simply unviable for much longer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I give this plan a month or two at the very most before they realise that the death and infection rates aren't going to fall as much as they need but they have to open the economy and let us see each other, it's simply unviable for much longer.

I still think we'll end up following whatever apears to work in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.