• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris to resign? (Speculation) And who should replace him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Ruth Davidson was much admired when she led the Tories in Scotland, but seems to have ruled herself out for the future.
There are a number of capable ex-ministers on the back bench, Jeremy Hunt being the most visible just now.
It would be entirely in character for Boris to exit stage left after the final act of hard Brexit is implemented.
Leaving others to pick up the mess.
Indyref2 will be the next big diplomatic test, so a Lille Englander is not wanted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There are a number of capable ex-ministers on the back bench, Jeremy Hunt being the most visible just now.

Jeremy Hunt is the one who brought in the current NHS structure. The one everyone said would fail in a crisis and, lo and behold, failed in a crisis.

Jeremy Hunt is many things, but capable he isn't.

The fact he appears capable compared to the current cabinet says more about how staggeringly cretinous the likes of Patel and Raab really are.

Journeyman

Established Member
Ruth Davidson was much admired when she led the Tories in Scotland, but seems to have ruled herself out for the future.

She'd have to get elected as an MP first, so they'd need to find a by-election she could win (highly unlikely in Scotland). She appealed to Scottish unionists by very deliberately distancing herself from the more unpopular policies of the Westminster party, so I doubt she'd gain much traction in England.

Reliablebeam

I fear that ship may have sailed, but I would agree.
A national unity government.

In the early stages of this I would have agreed however Labour seems to have gone down the 'lockdown with end' avenue. Based on the behavior of the northern Mayors* and Drakeford in Wales (and I am Welsh) they fill me with absolute dread. I even have a cynical feeling they want to induce as much economic and sociological damage as possible for political reasons.

Edit- * must not forget the erstwhile mayor of London!

I would go with Javid or Sunak. Gove - there's something about him...

Domh245

Established Member
Jeremy Hunt is the one who brought in the current NHS structure. The one everyone said would fail in a crisis and, lo and behold, failed in a crisis.

The fact he appears capable compared to the current cabinet says more about how staggeringly cretinous the likes of Patel and Raab really are.

He's capable, just not in a way that you like. A very savvy operator who managed to push his reforms through and when seeing the writing on the wall decided to act in a way that'd avoid getting his name tarred with the unfolding mess(es)

He'd be an entirely competent Conservative PM

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In the early stages of this I would have agreed however Labour seems to have gone down the 'lockdown with end' avenue. Based on the behavior of the northern Mayors* and Drakeford in Wales (and I am Welsh) they fill me with absolute dread. I even have a cynical feeling they want to induce as much economic and sociological damage as possible for political reasons.

I think that's over-cynical. I suspect rather they think the economic damage is less important than the deaths, or they aren't considering it or putting their fingers in their ears, going "la la la" and ignoring it. I think the conspiracy argument is a fallacy, if only because if they argue for it, get it and it's really bad it will reflect on them.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
He's capable, just not in a way that you like. A very savvy operator

Depends what you mean by capable, I suppose. I was taking it to mean capable (of running the country).

If we're going to have someone who'll ruin everything then run away, we may as well stick with Johnson.

brad465

Established Member
Definitely not Gove, as he'll keep Cummings who is our de facto PM. Anyone who refuses the latter, no matter how awful they are generally, is instantly better.

Interestingly bookmakers have recently made Sunak favourite to be next PM, just about ahead of Starmer (for a while it was the other way round), suggesting they are factoring the prospect of Johnson leaving earlier.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interestingly bookmakers have recently made Sunak favourite to be next PM, just about ahead of Starmer (for a while it was the other way round), suggesting they are factoring the prospect of Johnson leaving earlier.

I still reckon he'll "get Brexit done", then do a Cameron and resign (possibly on health grounds) leaving someone else to pick up the pieces.

brad465

Established Member
I still reckon he'll "get Brexit done", then do a Cameron and resign (possibly on health grounds) leaving someone else to pick up the pieces.
I agree, but I really hate how officials like Cameron and probably Johnson can get away with such acts of selfishness; the only real accountability Cameron has had so far is an excellent rant by Danny Dyer.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Trying to "manage" a country in the current circumstrances is not a job anyone in their right mind would want. Whatever one does, it will be "wrong" (etc) according to someone else who - in most cases - doesn't actually have a better idea; either just a different one, equally "wrong" in someone else's view, or in many cases, no real idea at all - just that it's "wrong". And all with 20/20 hindsight.

"Should have had"
- a full lockdown for longer or again
- regional restrictions at a different level of granularity (eg by PostCode)
- no lockdown at all (herd immunity)
- etc
- etc.

I know what I'd do. But then that's just as likely to be "wrong" as anyone else's (who actually has one) idea.

najaB

Veteran Member
Trying to "manage" a country in the current circumstrances is not a job anyone in their right mind would want.
Expressing the desire to lead a country demonstrates a deep psychological flaw that should automatically disqualify anyone who displays it from actually holding the post of leader.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The desire to lead a country demonstrates a deep psychological flaw that should automatically disqualify anyone who displays it from actually holding the post of leader.

That certainly creates interesting possibilities - should, for example, we abandon elections entirely and make people MPs on the same basis as jury service, i.e. random selection? It would be interesting to consider at least having a second chamber based on that idea.

ABB125

Established Member
That certainly creates interesting possibilities - should, for example, we abandon elections entirely and make people MPs on the same basis as jury service, i.e. random selection? It would be interesting to consider at least having a second chamber based on that idea.
I like that idea - sign me up! (Except I wouldn't be able to sign myself up - that's the point! :D)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I like that idea - sign me up! (Except I wouldn't be able to sign myself up - that's the point! :D)

New thread for further discussion of the idea:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
In general imho we have had in our PMs the right person in the right job at the right time though I would argue Churchill wasn’t particularly good as a peacetime PM. de pfeffel on the other hand seems to be the wrong person in the wrong job at the wrong time. Get Brexit done and resign on I’ll health grounds or shock horror for that old chestnut “to spend more time with family”

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In general imho we have had in our PMs the right person in the right job at the right time though I would argue Churchill wasn’t particularly good as a peacetime PM. de pfeffel on the other hand seems to be the wrong person in the wrong job at the wrong time. Get Brexit done and resign on I’ll health grounds or shock horror for that old chestnut “to spend more time with family”
But which of his families will he choose?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Expressing the desire to lead a country demonstrates a deep psychological flaw that should automatically disqualify anyone who displays it from actually holding the post of leader.
That's always been my position too. A variation on the Groucho Marx gag.

The Ham

Established Member
As an outsider how about the NE Hampshire MP, Ranil Jayawardena, although his police protection might need to keep an eye on a certain former UKIP candidate:

The Mirror reported that he said: "If he is I will personally put a bullet between his eyes. If this lad turns up to be our prime minister I will personally put a bullet in him. That's how strong I feel about it." Questioning Mr Jayawardena's background, he said: "His family have only been here since the 70s. You are not British enough to be in our parliament. "I've got 400 years of ancestry where I live. He hasn't got that." A UKIP spokesman said Mr Blay had been suspended as soon as the remarks came to light - and offered an apology to Mr Jayawardena

Alternatively how about forum favourite Mr Grayling... (Runs and hides before the pitchforks come out).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Alternatively how about forum favourite Mr Grayling... (Runs and hides before the pitchforks come out).
Oh my god! I’ve broken into a cold sweat at the thought of that.

Typhoon

Established Member
... “to spend more time with family, weekly Telegraph column, and book deal".

Get Brexit done
- does that include a 'no deal' because any queues on the M2 or M20 will be placed firmly at his door whether he is in post of not?

I am struggling to think of a more incompetent cabinet (they seem to be limited to repeat things parrot fashion). Even if you take the likes of Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major (post 6@$+@^d$). there were always those with ability, even if they did not use it in a way that I approved. To be honest, of all Johnson's errors, I think that the 'purge' was the biggest as far as the country goes. He removed some of those who could be relied on to do a decent job (or they removed themselves). Some of the new intake may prove to be OK, but now is not the time to experiment.

Oh my god! I’ve broken into a cold sweat at the thought of that.
Sleep easy. Not many came to his defence when he failed to secure the chair of the Security Committee. what dissatisfaction there was died in days, and his sulking won't have helped him. If he stood, he may not even get a single vote; can you guarantee that he would be able to put his cross in the right place and place the form in the correct place?

I agree, but I really hate how officials like Cameron and probably Johnson can get away with such acts of selfishness; the only real accountability Cameron has had so far is an excellent rant by Danny Dyer.

I would have to disagree with I think Cameron did the right thing, the country had voted against the government position and he was going to have to do something he had campaigned against, Cameron is the only Prime Minister this century I actually quite liked, and do wish he was running the country now rather than Boris Johnsons UKIP Party. If Johnson goes it will be even worse as we will end up with someone more to right than Johnson and for me this country doesn't need extreme right wingers or extreme left wingers they are both just as bad as far as i'm concerned.

As for Ruth Davidson I would love to see her as Leader of the Tory Party but she is far too moderate for Johnsons Tory party probably the real reason she stepped back, with UKIP essentially doing what momentum failed to do with Labour and take over the Tory Party. I know quite a few Pro European Tories who are totally dismayed at Johnsons Tory Party but of course there was no way they were going to vote for Corbyn at the last election.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
I would have to disagree with I think Cameron did the right thing, the country had voted against the government position and he was going to have to do something he had campaigned against, Cameron is the only Prime Minister this century I actually quite liked

It may have been the 'honourable' thing to do, but to my mind he'll always be the prime minister who after getting his fingered burnt, decided to pull the pin regardless and then hand the issue off to someone else at the first opportunity. My hope is that history remembers him this way, and he goes down as the second worst PM in recent years behind the current disgrace

SteveM70

Established Member
If Johnson goes it will be even worse as we will end up with someone more to right than Johnson

But that’s the thing with Johnson. He’s so devoid of principles or even independent thought that you honestly can’t say how right wing he is. He allows his government to be right wing, but that isn’t quite the same thing

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have some sympathy with Cameron over Brexit. Successive Governments failed to get consent over EU membership, so the issue was always going to come to a head.

Now austerity is a different matter. I have no sympathy for him over that.

jfollows

Established Member
It may have been the 'honourable' thing to do, but to my mind he'll always be the prime minister who after getting his fingered burnt, decided to pull the pin regardless and then hand the issue off to someone else at the first opportunity. My hope is that history remembers him this way, and he goes down as the second worst PM in recent years behind the current disgrace
Cameron repeatedly stated that he'd implement whichever result of the referendum transpired, but then buggered off at great speed when he lost. I think it says a lot about our politics that nobody believed him at the time he made his promise to stick around, and nobody was surprised when he buggered off afterwards, but why do we let these people get away with saying these things?

But that’s the thing with Johnson. He’s so devoid of principles or even independent thought that you honestly can’t say how right wing he is. He allows his government to be right wing, but that isn’t quite the same thing
Well yes, I wouldn't disagree with that, if Johnson were to leave with No Deal and then quit then I think that would be a major dereliction of Duty in my view, but to his merry band of Hard Brexiteers he would no doubt be a hero, where as I think he should have to stand trial for crimes against the state in that situation. On the other hand if he got a Trade Deal he could leave and say I got the UK out of the EU with a trade deal that doesn't closely tie us to the EU. I personally don't think he will go until close to the next election and may even fight that depending on how things go of which there are many variables at present.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think it was unwise of him to make such a promise. If he'd "done a Harold" and stayed neutral he could have done so, but after being so closely aligned with one side, it effectively became a vote of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.