• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

REVUpminster

I agree that the far left are just as bad at times (the political horseshoe) but they're usually demanding things like companies paying more tax, rather than rounding people up and sending them home, or shooting boats to sink them and drown refugees arriving along our coastline.

Anyway, I see we've found a solution to the shortage of lorry drivers.. we're just going to let them work more hours! Sorted!
How many boats have we shot at and how many refugees have we drowned along our coastline? I am always picked up on what I comment.

EssexGonzo

More popular than concentrating the vast majority of wealth in the hands of a vanishingly small portion of the population.

Which brings us back to the undeclared, core reason for both Brexit (funded by a small number of outrageously rich people - and maybe some Russians :lol:) and the unstinting support of the media for Brexit and the current government (owned and/or controlled by a small number of outrageously rich people - and maybe some Russians :lol:).

RT4038

Established Member
More popular than concentrating the vast majority of wealth in the hands of a vanishingly small portion of the population.
I suspect that grabbing this vast majority of this wealth is pretty impossible without destroying it, so lets try and grab the wealth of anyone better off than me.

Which brings us back to the undeclared, core reason for both Brexit (funded by a small number of outrageously rich people - and maybe some Russians :lol:) and the unstinting support of the media for Brexit and the current government (owned and/or controlled by a small number of outrageously rich people - and maybe some Russians :lol:).
I expect you are right, but that is the motivation for most things in the world!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
With the money to pay for the free healthcare and higher education coming from nowhere of course. Always popular to grab and spend other peoples money.

I think the technique of blame has been used over the last 200 years by all sides pretty equally.
I've no idea whether you were lucky enough to benefit from free higher education, but I'm willing to bet that you've benefitted from the services that the NHS provide at some point in your life.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How many boats have we shot at and how many refugees have we drowned along our coastline? I am always picked up on what I comment.

Fortunately even our current Government haven't done what so many people have suggested every time Nigel Farage riles people up by visiting Dover.

You surely can't deny the many hundreds of messages saying that's what we should do? Or maybe adopt the Trump-style tactic of claiming all those people are actually left-wing - just as it was Antifa who marched on the Capitol buildings on January 6th...

43021HST

Established Member
I think the technique of blame has been used over the last 200 years by all sides pretty equally.

Ah yes equivocal nihilism, a pub or family politics argument classic "I refuse to concede my point, because you refuse to concede yours, they're all the same really".

A technique so common, the germans must have a compound word for it

alex397

Established Member
Who would have thought ….

Even more surprising it was written in that rag ( and few others).
I’d love to know what Farage thinks about this. It was a subject so close to his heart after all…
Although in reality he probably doesn’t care about it - he just jumps on bandwagons.

It really is frustrating how this was all warned about but it was dismissed as ‘Project Fear’.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, Farage was very into helping the fishing industry as demonstrated by all the meetings he attended....

nlogax

Established Member
I’d love to know what Farage thinks about this.

I don't care what he thinks and I don't assume for one moment that he's really that interested. While he was one of the architects of Brexit he didn't really give a **** about the fishing industry or anyone else but himself, lining his own pockets along the way by way of an enhanced media profile.

REVUpminster

Surely
I don't care what he thinks and I don't assume for one moment that he's really that interested. While he was one of the architects of Brexit he didn't really give a **** about the fishing industry or anyone else but himself, lining his own pockets along the way by way of an enhanced media profile.
Surely you don't begrudge Farage his EU pension after all UK taxpayers are paying for it as part of the divorce settlement.

REVUpminster

The best thing that could happen to him is that he becomes an irrelevance, to be honest he is half-way there.
His job is done. took 20 years.

Perhaps the LibDems will be swept to power at the next general election with a re-join the EU policy. I wonder which way Sir Kier will jump.

class ep-09

Perhaps the LibDems will be swept to power at the next general election with a re-join the EU policy. I wonder which way Sir Kier will jump.
Which way Kier jump is irrelevant now .

He has to propose Proportional Representation, to avoid Tories getting to power ever again ( not without a coalition) .
After Tories are not able to ruin this country again , Kier may start considering SM and CU .
Full membership is a NO now ( unfortunately ).

Revilo

Perhaps they could re-hire Jo Swinson as leader too, given what a success she was.

alex397

Established Member
The reason I mentioned Farage was because I’m still amazed how much attention was given to him, as well as how many people followed him like a lemming and believed his lies, and seem to continue to do so.
People like him need to be accountable for the damage they have done to this country.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Farage has quickly become an irrelevance, a nobody outside his own social media bubble. He will retire wealthy and satisfied, with perhaps the most unlikely political achievement of the postwar era under his belt.

He’s better off ignored.

colchesterken

I cannot understand why a majority of people voted against the referendum on fair voting
I know A V was second best but it was a step in the right direction
Like the Scottish referendum the big parties will say we had a vote on PR and the people voted against it
We will be stuck with first past the post for 20 yrs as both the big parties are against it for their own reasons rather than the best for democracy

XAM2175

Established Member
Two related pieces from today:

A Spanish woman who has lived in England for 44 years has been sacked from her job in a care home because she is unable to prove she has the right to work in the UK, in a case illustrating the difficulties experienced by EU nationals as employers grapple with post-Brexit right-to-work regulations. The 45-year-old woman, who arrived in Britain as an 11-month-old baby and who has never left the country, said she has tried more than 100 times to get through to the Home Office-run helpline in the past three weeks, but has never been able to speak to an adviser.

She has applied for EU settled status, but her application is stuck somewhere in the backlog of over 500,000 cases the Home Office has yet to process. She is the main breadwinner, with two children to support, and said her dismissal has left her struggling to buy food. Charities helping EU nationals say the case is not unique. “We’ve seen this time and again when people with pending EUSS applications were asked to take unpaid leave, or were turned down from employment,” Dora-Olivia Vicol, CEO of the Work Rights Centre, said.

The care worker was called in for a formal meeting with her employers, a large residential care organisation, on 28 June, when managers discovered that she had no documentation proving her right to work in the UK.

“They asked me to prove that I came into the UK legally – it was like they were accusing me of coming here on the back of a lorry, but I came here as a baby. They asked me whether I could provide evidence that I had the right to work in the UK; I’ve been paying tax and national insurance here for almost 30 years. I was very upset – there were lots of tears on my side,” she said. She asked for her name and the name of her employers not to be printed because she hopes to get her job back. After the meeting, she applied for EU Settled Status on 30 June, just before the deadline for applications – but has never had a British or a Spanish passport. As a result she was unable to fill in a digital application for EU settled status; instead she had to make a complicated paper-based application, and send in her birth certificate. She received a receipt of the application via email, but has not received the formal certificate that would allow her to continue working while waiting to be granted EU settled status. On 2 July she was invited to a disciplinary meeting at work and fired after being told the organisation risked being fined if it continued to employ her.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “There have already been more than 5.1m grants of status under the hugely successful EU settlement scheme. Anyone who applied to the scheme by the 30 June deadline, but has not had a decision, has their rights protected until their application is decided. This is set out in law.” But Vicol said the Work Rights Centre had tried to help resolve the situation without success. “Home Office staff recommended that we call again in two weeks’ time, but this still leaves her, and others like her, in a highly vulnerable situation,” she said. “Employers rarely take the time to read through to the Home Office supporting guidance, that specifies the process for outstanding applications – instead they run out of patience. The hostile environment has created a culture of fear, where risk-averse employers are overreacting in their right to work checks.”

And even for people who have definitely managed to obtain settled status:
The government has come under fire after introducing a 69p-a-minute charge for a helpline for EU citizens who are trying to prove to landlords or employers their right to remain in the country after Brexit.

Callers to the “view and prove” immigration status telephone number, 0300-790 6268, must also preauthorise a potential £5 credit on a bank card before talking to an assistant.

Campaigners at the3million group have written to the future borders and immigration minister, Kevin Foster, to protest against charges that amount to £10.35 for 15 minutes of assistance. They say the charges are “contrary to the assurances given” in the high court recently and are “causing a lot of distress”. The activists’ group failed in its court application earlier this year to force the government to issue EU citizens a physical document to prove their right to work and live in the UK after Brexit. However, at the hearing the Home Office told the judge that “the defendant will not charge for calls”.

Under the post-Brexit system, the Home Office generates “shared codes” that last for 30 days to allow EU citizens evidence of their right to rent or work in the UK. But the3million says it is concerned that the helpline is needed by those who are not digitally literate and those who are confronted with technical glitches trying to prove their status in the first place.

The decision to not issue physical proof of status doubly disadvantages EU citizens living in the UK compared to other foreign-citizen residents, who at least have actual papers with which to navigate the "papers please" society established as part of the Hostile Environment.

I cannot understand why a majority of people voted against the referendum on fair voting
I know A V was second best but it was a step in the right direction
Very much a case of perfect being the enemy of good, unfortunately.
(but not quite on topic for here)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two related pieces from today:

And even for people who have definitely managed to obtain settled status:

The decision to not issue physical proof of status doubly disadvantages EU citizens living in the UK compared to other foreign-citizen residents, who at least have actual papers with which to navigate the "papers please" society established as part of the Hostile Environment.

Is that what leave voters voted for? Is this what they wanted? Are they happy with this? I hope at least someone is anyway.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is that what leave voters voted for? Is this what they wanted? Are they happy with this?
Not hearing any replies. It's like they love mistreating the 'others' who are responsible for all the problems of the world. All I hear is the wind rushing past.

RT4038

Established Member
Is that what leave voters voted for? Is this what they wanted? Are they happy with this? I hope at least someone is anyway.
Probably about as much as Spaniards, Austrians, French etc care about the treatment of UK citizens resident in their country post Brexit?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Probably about as much as Spaniards, Austrians, French etc care about the treatment of UK citizens resident in their country post Brexit?

I suppose but of course they didn't take a step to cause any of the issues that UK citizens resident aboard have faced. That was solely down to the decision by our electorate to vote to leave the EU and then to elect governments whose platform was for an extremely hard Brexit. Hence my question to those who voted in favour of a course of action and politicians who have led us to a situation where we have news articles such as those listed above.