• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Collapse at Barrow on Soar 2nd Aug 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
It's all very well telling passengers from London to go to either Kings Cross or Euston but services from there load to full capacity normally in the evening peak. How do they cope with a sudden influx following an incident such as this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's all very well telling passengers from London to go to either Kings Cross or Euston but services from there load to full capacity normally in the evening peak. How do they cope with a sudden influx following an incident such as this?

by standing, declassifying and trying to spread out the load.

CosherB

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H32675/2016/08/01/advanced
This freight service appears to have been diverted between Toton Jn. and Helpstone Jn. Every other move shown on RTT since 2348 appears to have been 'frozen' at the origin, not looking good at all.

EDIT: Possibly related to this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_upon_Soar_train_crash
(I have no idea on the area whatsoever, a quick Google search revealed that)

Sent to the back of the class with research like that ..... more homework needed! :D

muug1982

Particularly with the Chiltern line shut. Wonder if Virgin will make additional calls at Nuneaton / Tamworth tonight?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
When did the BBC start the 'rent-a-gob' crap comment section on articles.

Alana Simpson wrote on Facebook: "These Victorian structures are coming to the end of their lives. Coupled with everything being run for profit by accountants and maintenance not being carried out, events like this will happen much more often."

I suppose we're in the post-truth, anti-expert age now, aren't we.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Out of interest, whose job is it to ask them ?

You'd think Stagecoach (EMT) will have a word with Stagecoach (VTWC).
Advice seems to be to go via Birmingham rather than stop additionally in the Trent Valley.

I imagine the bridge dates from the time the line was 4-tracked, rather than being an original Charles Vignoles Midland Counties design.
Which was the original route, the Fast or Slow lines?

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
You'd think Stagecoach (EMT) will have a word with Stagecoach (VTWC).
Advice seems to be to go via Birmingham rather than stop additionally in the Trent Valley.

I imagine the bridge dates from the time the line was 4-tracked, rather than being an original Charles Vignoles Midland Counties design.
Which was the original route, the Fast or Slow lines?

I should think the fast lines - as Loughborough had no slow line platforms until the Ivanhoe service began.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Particularly with the Chiltern line shut. Wonder if Virgin will make additional calls at Nuneaton / Tamworth tonight?

The EMT site ignores the possibility of changing at Tamworth. Indeed, it says Derby and Long Eaton passengers must travel via Birmingham.

does this mean anyone trying to use LM or Virgin via Tmaworth would have their ticket refused, or is this just because it's so much simpler to tell everyone to go via Brum, and any 'in the knows' who use Tamworth are just let through?

Mugby

Established Member
The EMT site ignores the possibility of changing at Tamworth. Indeed, it says Derby and Long Eaton passengers must travel via Birmingham.

does this mean anyone trying to use LM or Virgin via Tmaworth would have their ticket refused, or is this just because it's so much simpler to tell everyone to go via Brum, and any 'in the knows' who use Tamworth are just let through?

I thought it was simply that VTWC has very little that stops at Tamworth anyway.
As for LM, I think I'd find it too much of an ordeal on any of theirs!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I thought it was simply that VTWC has very little that stops at Tamworth anyway.
As for LM, I think I'd find it too much of an ordeal on any of theirs!

And XC don't stop much at Tamworth HL either (2tph semi fasts mainly).

Established Member

does this mean anyone trying to use LM or Virgin via Tamworth would have their ticket refused, or is this just because it's so much simpler to tell everyone to go via Brum, and any 'in the knows' who use Tamworth are just let through?

Probably not, I suspect it has something to do with that fact that from Tamworth you have a 4-car 350 every hour, whereas from Birmingham you have 3 9- or 11-car Pendolinos every hour, plus 3 350s, makes sense to do that than swamp an hourly 4-car Trent Valley stopper with people who wouldn't otherwise be travelling that way in the first place.

David Sinnett

Curious why the Corby & Melton trains don't run as normal or/and normal running as far as Leicester? Do they have enough train sets south of the bridge to do that?

edwin_m

Veteran Member

They do seem very clear about this and I wonder if tickets are not being accepted on other possible routes, such as Long Eaton to London via Nottngham and Grantham.

I can see the reason for discouraging use of the connecting bus unless travelling to/from one of the stations it serves, as it would be slower than all-rail routes for many journeys and they may also be short of buses. But I would have thought a journey such as Nottingham to Market Harborough would be quicker on the bus than going via Peterborough or Nuneaton.

Tomnick

Established Member
Curious why the Corby & Melton trains don't run as normal or/and normal running as far as Leicester? Do they have enough train sets south of the bridge to do that?
Given that it all kicked off overnight, there'll be very few sets south of Leicester - only the handful that stable overnight in London.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When did the BBC start the 'rent-a-gob' crap comment section on articles.

I suppose we're in the post-truth, anti-expert age now, aren't we.

I expect if NR's people complained formally the BBC would argue that they are using speech marks to make it obvious it is just a quote from a random member of the public.

Unfortunately many of the same public will just see it as a statement of fact, with the authority of the BBC behind it...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I expect if NR's people complained formally the BBC would argue that they are using speech marks to make it obvious it is just a quote from a random member of the public.

Unfortunately many of the same public will just see it as a statement of fact, with the authority of the BBC behind it...

There seems a lot of brick arch structure experts on BBC facebook posts this morning.

We appear to have found the cure for the countries severe lack of engineers. Get Tim from down the road to give us his wisdom and we will all be sorted.

daikilo

Established Member
There seems a lot of brick arch structure experts on BBC facebook posts this morning.

We appear to have found the cure for the countries severe lack of engineers. Get Tim from down the road to give us his wisdom and we will all be sorted.

It is not the brick arch that has failed but the parapet, which was clearly acting as a retaining wall for the in-fill behind it. Expect a round of inspections of similar structures.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Given that it all kicked off overnight, there'll be very few sets south of Leicester - only the handful that stable overnight in London.

Presumably the necessary staff will be in similarly short supply south of Leicester. Although some could, possibly, be bussed in at short notice there still has to be extra to cover the travelling time, legal breaks etc.

M7R

Very odd being sat at Attenborough and then Nottingham with no HSTs or Meridians around. My little 3 year old was not that impressed and asked where they have gone, not the easiest thing to explain to a 3 year old.

Tomnick

Established Member
I assume that stock could be moved via Coalville if the line was expected to be closed for longer than a couple of days.
Via Peterborough seems favourite - at least one or two moves are going or have gone that way, if social media is to be believed.

howittpie

They have just interviewed a Network Rail person on East Midlands Today and he is hopeful of service running tommorrow.

anti-pacer

Established Member
According to Realtime Trains, the 1815 St Pancras to Leeds has left and is running as normal along the normal route.

I'm guessing this will be diverted at some point, but where?

Status
Not open for further replies.