• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Telecom woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
Hello

Couldn't see an existing thread about British Telecom and what they laughingly call "customer service".

I've had a look on-line and there seem to be plenty of stories about BT and woeful customer service, but I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum has had problems with BT at all?

To summarise my issue - I moved house in mid-January to a new build property. I asked BT to transfer my land line & broadband, but writing this in the latter part of March, I still have neither broadband or a land line at my new property. Getting anyone at BT to give me a straightforward answer to my enquiries is next to impossible, and even though I have been assured that my complaint(s) are being treated seriously, and I have supposedly been allocated a named caseworker to follow up my complaints, I am fast losing trust with the company.

If anyone else has had similar (or possibly worse) situations, or can provide any pointers in how to push BT into actually doing something pro-actively, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Leave BT?
Go with Plusnet, even though they are owned by BT, they have a UK based call centre.
My parents experience with them has been good.

gazthomas

Established Member
Plusnet took 3 months to get Outtareach, sorry Openreach to install a line in my new build

I managed very well by using 4G on my phone as a WiFi router and almost cancelled the line

Polarbear

Established Member
Count yourself lucky it isn't Talktalk.

I do! ;) I've heard that they're even worse than BT!

Leave BT?
Go with Plusnet, even though they are owned by BT, they have a UK based call centre.
My parents experience with them has been good.

Leaving BT is being given serious consideration - oh yes! Unfortunately, as I don't have a land-line installed (and one needs to be dug into the property I understand), then Plusnet doesn't seem to be an option for me as from what I gather from their website, a landline is a prerequisite. I appreciate they're noted for their rather better customer service than some, but even so, its still BT. <(

takno

Established Member
I do! ;) I've heard that they're even worse than BT!

Leaving BT is being given serious consideration - oh yes! Unfortunately, as I don't have a land-line installed (and one needs to be dug into the property I understand), then Plusnet doesn't seem to be an option for me as from what I gather from their website, a landline is a prerequisite. I appreciate they're noted for their rather better customer service than some, but even so, its still BT. <(
Plusnet can get a new landline installed, and indeed do so for my parents. At the end of the day it's BT Openreach that have to install the landline, but it makes no difference whether it's BT's retail arm, Plusnet, or TalkTalk that get them to do it - you just want someone with a call centre who are willing to chase up the engineer for you.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I don't think it matters who you go with (unless VirginMedia) if OpenReach are not doing what they need to do

beeza1

The main problem with going away from BT is that you will still be using BT's infrastructure, unless you can go down the "cable" route, I would if I could, but unfortunately we don't have cable where I live.
Regarding OpenReach, these are all sub-contractors, some of them I suspect are one man bands, or should that be sole traders, and are not BT engineers, so you can't contact them direct.
I have heard good and bad reports about all the providers.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
When I moved to an area of the Peak District with no mobile reception a landline was essential. As the previous owners of the house had been with BT I decided that a 'straight switch' on moving day was the obvious way of minimising disruption.

In the event I was only totally incommunicado for 34 days, only wasted two entire days staying in waiting for nobody to turn up, only had to return one totally dead router, only got charged twice and only had to wait two months to get a refund.

Anything better than that and you are doing well. Fortunately the landlord of the nearby pub was happy to let me use his personal wi-if whilst I was on the premises and regularly 'topping up'.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If you are prepared to pay a higher price, I can recommend Andrews & Arnold highly. They are a small provider run by people who answer the phone very quickly, are very transparent, very anti-snooping, and are well known for being very good at dealing with Openreach and their ridiculous excuses. However, if you're a heavy user (more than 1TB a month), they're not much use since they don't offer unlimited. However, I can affirm from personal experience that you really get what you pay for in the ISP game.

They offer their broadband on a 1-month, 6-month or 12-month minimum term.

BanburyBlue

Sounds like the issue is the cable into the property, not the service provider.

You mention new build - so shouldn't the cable have been dug in when the house was being built?

najaB

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, as I don't have a land-line installed (and one needs to be dug into the property I understand), then Plusnet doesn't seem to be an option for me as from what I gather from their website, a landline is a prerequisite.
I used to work for BT and can tell you that getting new lines installed can be an absolute nightmare. If there are no spare pairs then a 'simple' job can involve the local authority, highways agency, landowners and property owners. I've known the process of getting a wayleave to put a new cable run across someone's property to take a year or more! And if there's roadworks involved then good luck getting an A55.
You mention new build - so shouldn't the cable have been dug in when the house was being built?
You would have thought so, but sadly many housing developers don't speak with BT at the planning stages and by the time they get in contact it's *way* too late to do anything sensible.

Polarbear

Established Member
Are you just trying to get better service or seeking some revenge on BT?

Any service would be nice! ;)

To be fair to BT, on the rare occasions when I've managed to speak to anyone, they've always been pleasant. My main problem with BT is the lack of ownership of any problems, and that they say they will call back but rarely do so. I know it's not just BT that has this sort of issue, but it is the one that I'm at the sharp end of at the moment.

Just by way of an update, I spoke to someone on Tuesday, who said they would take personal responsibility for my complaint, provide me with their direct contact details & keep me in the loop going forward. Warm words, but as with all other things BT, not followed up on. No e-mail to confirm said contact details & I've sent an enquiry to Virgin media, as the house I've moved to is already cabled for them in any case.

Just see who manages to reply first now!
I used to work for BT and can tell you that getting new lines installed can be an absolute nightmare. If there are no spare pairs then a 'simple' job can involve the local authority, highways agency, landowners and property owners. I've known the process of getting a wayleave to put a new cable run across someone's property to take a year or more! And if there's roadworks involved then good luck getting an A55.
You would have thought so, but sadly many housing developers don't speak with BT at the planning stages and by the time they get in contact it's *way* too late to do anything sensible.

Thanks for the information - useful to know. I'm guessing that the developer & BT haven't spoken to each other in my case either, hence the back-peddling that seems to be happening now. Although it may well be the case that BT and Openreach are having to jump through hoops to get a line installed, no-one is telling me that officially - which is annoying to put it mildly! <(

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Oddly enough I just had a call from a lady who said she was ringing from BT, I think it was a scam so put the phone down and they did not call back. Mind you a few minutes later the phone rang again and I was rather abrupt answering it, but it was a mate calling..oops :oops:

Tom B

Established Member
I have had considerable issues with what should have been an easy job, a few year ago. Firstly, they missed two scheduled appointments ,and all that was offered was another appointment in several weeks time - although they had messed up, you go to the back of the queue! (Occasionally, I won't be able to send out a guy to do a pre agred job for someone,so i understand it happens - but the person inconvenienced then becomes top priority for their preferred rescheduled time).

The landline in my flat had lain idle for some time so was disconnected at the DP at the top of a pole, 5 yards from the front door. This was ascertained very quickly by a linesman who then said he could not climb the pole as it hadn't got an inspection sticker on. He said that he would have another chap, with a vehicle mounted MEWP, come out in the next hour to see to it, and off he went.
A few hours later the second guy comes out and (as he has no information) I fill him in. He checks the pole, then rings the office who confirm that it had been inspected. He went on to tell me two things - 1, that the 'first line' linesmen are subcontractors, who are paid a flat rate per attendance at a job - and 2, that where a pole did not have an inspection certificate, the proper procedure was to phone the office who can access the central records. However, point 1 meant that if the first chap was presented with an opportunity to pass the job on, he'd still be paid for it, and be able to get on to the next one quicker.

A complaint to BT resulted in a standard corporate letter and a £25 cheque.

Polarbear

Established Member
Thanks again for all of the comments. It seems I'm not alone!

I managed to unearth a page on the Openreach website on Saturday, that allows those in new build homes to contact them directly about such issues.

najaB

Veteran Member
...although they had messed up, you go to the back of the queue!
That's not the way it is supposed to work. Although it's controlled by Openreach now rather than the retail side of the business, Appointment Book X still holds priority appointments for people where appointments have been missed due to BT fault.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Count yourself lucky you're not with Virgin Media, I've never experienced more luck lustre dung than them and their stupid outsourced call centres. Even had an advisor call me a blatant liar when an engineer broke into a locked cupboard in my block of flats to do a repull.

I've heard good reports from a few people that have Sky as their broadband provider and get thing sorted out pretty quickly.

Tom B

Established Member
That's not the way it is supposed to work. Although it's controlled by Openreach now rather than the retail side of the business, Appointment Book X still holds priority appointments for people where appointments have been missed due to BT fault.

This was in 2013, so i don't know if this is a new thing. At the time they were adamant that it was irrelevant why the appointment didn't take place, you got whatever was available in a few weeks.

Polarbear

Established Member
I always assumed that landlines as such were connected to properties by cabling from "a telegraph pole" (well, that's what we called them in my youth).

That certainly used to be the way things were done, but I think there's a preference to get cabling underground where possible.

I'd add that where I've moved to, there's a distinct lack of said telegraph pokes, the area having been cleared completely around 10 years ago as part of an urban regeneration plan.

Finally, it's probably far too easy a solution for Openreach...

najaB

Veteran Member
Finally, it's probably far too easy a solution for Openreach...
On the contrary, it's the preferred method (since it's a *lot* cheaper) but it's fairly hard to get local authorities to agree to new poles.

Lucan

Established Member
I'm in the sticks and my line reaches me via roadside poles along (or rather through) the edge of a forest. It is a miracle the phones work at all around here. Trees branches about 400 yards away had damaged (not completely broken unfortunately) the line - it became extremely crackly. The BT number for reporting faults uses automated voice recognition for Jeez sake - try that on a crackly line. What idiot arranged that? I was screaming "FAULTY LINE!" at the top of my voice and the robot was responding "Sorry, I did not catch that, can you repeat it?." When I eventually got through (with my mobile) to a guy at BT's Indian call centre he did not seem to know what a tree was (have they used them all for firewood in India?). Funny how these guys start off with posh English accents but drop the charade as things get heated.

First they would not accept there was a fault at all because somehow it passed the automated line test (which the user initiates). So I repeated the test after disconnecting the line from the master socket, and that made BT do something. There is no mobile reception here - had to drive to a place 2 miles away even to talk to them and 10 miles to a public library to use the Internet.

It took about 6 weeks to sort out. You are not allowed to speak to Open Reach directly, although I did when they turned up (Four vans, two cherry pickers, plus the temporary traffic light team with two flatbeds) and it expedited things when I did. 600 yards of road were singled for two days. I hope it cost BT a lot of money, because the blighters would only compensate me for the pro-rata portion of line rental, nothing for my mobile calls while my line was down or my journeys. I changed to Post Office Phones immediately after.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I've sent an enquiry to Virgin media, as the house I've moved to is already cabled for them in any case.

Probably Virgin Media offered the builder a better deal than Openreach did. I'd just go with them. You can probably transfer your number if that's important to you.

najaB

Veteran Member
You are not allowed to speak to Open Reach directly,
An end-user speaking to Openreach about a delayed provision is about the same as a passenger speaking to a NR signaller about a delayed train. It might make you feel good, but it wouldn't achieve much.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I used to have a fair few problems with BT's broadband service, and it was immensely frustrating trying to get through to them. Then one day I appeared to strike gold. I got through to a live-chat guy in India who clearly knew his stuff, didn't make me jump through hoops having to unplug everything, and pretty much sorted everything out. I even received a couple of follow-up calls from him to find out if everything was still okay. The end result was that my connection maxes out at 13 meg, instead of the 15 I was getting before, but it's far more stable. The problem has since recurred, but it was a Dublin-based chap I spoke with on the most recent occasion, and when I explained it was the same issue as before, he followed the notes that had been left previously and it was sorted soon afterwards. Whatever they do to fix the issue seems to get reset any time they do any routine maintenance at the exchange.

I've worked previously for Sky, and one of the most frequent grumbles was that when an Openreach engineer attended they would only deal with issues as far as the master socket, and wouldn't touch the internal wiring. Fair enough to an extent, but BT were responsible for installing much of the internal wiring in the early "In-Phone" days. In our old family home we had a phone that was hardwired, and when it finally went on the blink the BT engineer replaced the original "terminal" point with a socket, and put in an additional extension at the same time. Where I live now, the master socket is in a cupboard with no power supply, so I would either have to pay for an electrician to install a power socket, or pay Openreach a considerable sum to move the master socket.

Lucan

Established Member
... one of the most frequent grumbles was that when an Openreach engineer attended they would only deal with issues as far as the master socket, and wouldn't touch the internal wiring. Fair enough to an extent, but BT were responsible for installing much of the internal wiring in the early "In-Phone" days.
Once they install a modern master socket their responsibility ends at that socket. Any internal wiring they might have put in years earlier becomes yours and is your responsiblity. You would not expect the previous houseowner to remain responsible for mowing your lawn?

Where I live now, the master socket is in a cupboard with no power supply, so I would either have to pay for an electrician to install a power socket, or pay Openreach a considerable sum to move the master socket.
I'm unclear why you need a power socket by the phone master socket, nor does your phone need to be in the cupboard.. You can take a phone cable extension (like this kit if you are not handy : http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/31098r/telephone-extension-kit-10m/dp/TE05887?st=telephone%20extension%20leads) from the phone master socket to wherever you like. In my experience though the master socket position, and the line to it is often inconveniently placed or ugly, and I am "always" moving them. Eg I recently bricked up a doorway that had the lead going through the wooden frame; nor do I like leads fixed to my house facia with rusting staples.

Consensus on the web is that Open Reach engineers are not very worried unless you do it wrong, or with wrong fittings (they can tell wrong wiring from the exchange), and they are not going to crawl round you attic to check you have not put in a new junction box for example. The master socket must remain easily accessible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.