• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus runs over School boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very lucky to survive.

What I don't get is:

1) Why are those kids the 'wrong' side of the barrier? :-?
2) Why was the bus in the cycle lane?

It was an absolutely stupid thing for the kid to do and yes it was his own fault, but if the bus had been in the correct lane OR if the barrier had not been there, it would not have happened.

It is interesting to note that the boy who was hit was not the only one trying that stunt, another aborts his attempt less than 1 second later

Coradia

I wonder what the driver must have been thinking at that point after it happening. Shock horror! How on earth did he survive it looked like it more or less went right on top of him, and they are not exactly light objects. Glad he did make a full recovery and hopefully he won't do anything like that again.

me123

Established Member
I saw a couple more potential accidents in that clip; in particular, someone running through the traffic towards the end of the clip from t'other side of the road...

Mintona

Established Member
me123, you just assed Hazard perception on your driving theory test :lol:

Was very stupid of that lad, but unbelieveably bad timing.

Coxster

Established Member
but unbelieveably bad timing.
But at the same time unbelieveably good timing considering he survived :p

Yorkie: We all know you hate any form of road transport that pays road tax, but I really think you trying to pin some of the blame on that bus driver is mad. It's a small, clear cycle lane with a barrier between it and the pavement, located just prior to a pedestrian crossing. You would expect to find bikes in it - not people from the other side of the metal barrier. Even if the bus was fully out of the lane I can't see it having made much difference. If you are such a fan of the highway code then I take it you are one of the 0.001% of cyclists that stop at all red lights?

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having just looked at the video again, it is not a Mandatory cycle lane so there is/was nothing wrong with the bus being there.

Coxster

Established Member
Having just looked at the video again, it is not a Mandatory cycle lane so there is/was nothing wrong with the bus being there.
Ah yes - it's only an advisory lane. Bad luck Yorkie :p

eos

Good job there was not a cyclist in the lane, some stupid vaulter of safety barriers may well have knocked them under the bus, causing an 'innocent' to be severely injured or more. I hope the idiot is ordered to pay the attendant costs for delays etc., and stress counselling for bus driver etc.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie: We all know you hate any form of road transport that pays road tax, but I really think you trying to pin some of the blame on that bus driver is mad. It's a small, clear cycle lane with a barrier between it and the pavement, located just prior to a pedestrian crossing. You would expect to find bikes in it - not people from the other side of the metal barrier. Even if the bus was fully out of the lane I can't see it having made much difference. If you are such a fan of the highway code then I take it you are one of the 0.001% of cyclists that stop at all red lights?
costs for delays etc., and stress counselling for bus driver etc.
Road tax doesn't actually exist, I'm not trying to "pin some of the blame on that bus driver", but if you look closely the idiot who leapt over the barrier did go onto the cycle lane, where the bus shouldn't be (without good reason to be. If it was mandatory then it must not be there).

Yes I do stop at all red lights, and what is the source of your statistic? Not sure where red lights are relevant to this discussion though.
eos said:
Good job there was not a cyclist in the lane, some stupid vaulter of safety barriers may well have knocked them under the bus, causing an 'innocent' to be severely injured or more.
Absolutely. It could have been a lot worse.

The barriers are intended to stop pedestrians crossing the road, apart from at the crossing. But they clearly did not work, and the kids obviously saw it as a laugh to jump over them. Bear in mind, it's not just one person who attempted this.

Worse, the barriers give absolutely nowhere for a cyclist to escape to if a large vehicle passes at a high speed (that bus wasn't exactly going slowly) and cuts the cyclists up. They can be bloody dangerous.

Narrow thin cycle lanes like that, which encourage drivers to drive very close to cyclists when overtaking, with a barrier the other side, are dangerous.

gingerheid

Established Member
Lane doesn't look wide enough for a bus, it's not like there's half an acre of space between the bus and the other lane.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lane doesn't look wide enough for a bus, it's not like there's half an acre of space between the bus and the other lane.
Looks about the width of the bus, which is, of course, not wide enough! Yet I bet some bus drivers would try to overtake a cyclist while going alongside cars on the other lane, because the markings encourage them to do so, even though it would be extremely dangerous. Road layouts like that should be abolished, they are unsafe. And if I was cycling along there, with kids right next to the railings, I'd not use that crappy cycle lane, I'd position myself in the middle of the lane the bus is in and prevent any dangerous overtaking manoeuvres, however many cyclists are not confident doing that and would end up sandwiched between kids the wrong side of the barrier and buses and cars, with no margin for error, and had any cyclist been in the lane at the time they'd probably have been killed.

devon_metro

Established Member
Why is the bus being blamed when a prat jumped in front of him when a metal barrier should have meant this could never happen :?

Oracle

Established Member
A kid once rushed out of our school on his bike and smashed straight into a car's side...a teacher's! Idiot. My 17 year old son wondered why the bus was in the cycle lane, and it does appear to drive tro the left. I was once ona bus in a High Street when a kamikaze pedestrian stepped off the pavement without looking, in the direction of travel, was clonked by the bus's mirror and was knocked to the ground! He got up an walked off.

Coxster

Established Member
Is the bus being blamed? :???:
To quote your post on page one: "It was an absolutely stupid thing for the kid to do and yes it was his own fault, but if the bus had been in the correct lane OR if the barrier had not been there, it would not have happened."

Road tax doesn't actually exist
Okay, 'vehicle tax' then...

...the idiot who leapt over the barrier did go onto the cycle lane, where the bus shouldn't be
It has already been established on the previous page of this thread that it is not a mandatory cycle lane, as indicated by the 'advisory' broken white line rather than the 'mandatory' solid white line. My understanding of the Highway Code is that although a driver is discouraged from entering an advisory cycle lane, he/she is not forbidden.

what is the source of your statistic?
Mix of personal observation and light heartedness. I think anyone with even half a brain could tell that it wasn't a genuine figure taken from some study, survey or similar.

Not sure where red lights are relevant to this discussion though.
I made that remark to investigate any possible hypocrisy in your comment. Obviously there is none, with you being one of the 0.001%* of cyclists that I speak of.
* see above quote and response before getting upset/offended/depressed

Narrow thin cycle lanes like that, which encourage drivers to drive very close to cyclists when overtaking, with a barrier the other side, are dangerous.
Don't use them then. The Highway Code #63 explains that cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes should they not wish to.

The 158 Man

".....Rhease Denver, 14, said: “Everyone does it. It’s the quick way to the shop at lunch. I just make sure I look both ways now.....”

What a tosser! :roll:

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
I see that there's a bit of a flame-war brewing in this thread, so I'm just going to leave a guestbook-style comment and scuttle before I get burnt, too... 8)
I'd love to see him try that on a station platform as I'm approaching in an APT-P doing 300+mph...His legs would wind up in Luton, his torso would land in Stoke, his skull would bounce onto the roof of Glasgow Central, and every red structure along the WCML would receive a convenient re-paint from his Blood being strewn throughout by the sheer force at which I'd hit him! :shock:<(<D

And for the record: If I was ever driving a train at high-speed and saw some Chavs (Etc.) playing "chicken" on the line in front of me or some other foolish pasttime, I would give a loud blast on the horn as a last chance warning to get out of the way...But if any of them paid no heed and I hit them, I wouldn't worried about the incident or in the least bit bothered about stopping... <D

Farewell... 8)
>> Death <<

Oracle

Established Member
“Everyone does it. It’s the quick way to
..get myself killed.

Saw this today in Southampton..four kids hauled over a fence in the middle of the road. All they had to do was walk a few feet to get round the end of the fencing. :roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To quote your post on page one: "It was an absolutely stupid thing for the kid to do and yes it was his own fault, but if the bus had been in the correct lane OR if the barrier had not been there, it would not have happened."
Yes that is correct, but how does that apportion blame? it doesn't.

Okay, 'vehicle tax' then...
Well, no I don't as that would be illogical. Why would I support a 1960s car driven by a maniac just because it doesn't pay VED and dislike a motorbike driven by a considerate person (such as yourself I am sure) which does pay VED?

It has already been established on the previous page of this thread that it is not a mandatory cycle lane, as indicated by the 'advisory' broken white line rather than the 'mandatory' solid white line. My understanding of the Highway Code is that although a driver is discouraged from entering an advisory cycle lane, he/she is not forbidden.
If it was mandatory, then the driver would have comitted an offence. I do not believe the idiot jumping over the barrier committed an offence either though. Just because it is not a punishable offence to do something, does not mean it should be done.

The bus should not have been in that lane, and I feel that the road design there is poor. I can make those observations without apportioning the blame for this incident on either of those factors.

I would not like to use that cycle lane personally.

Mix of personal observation and light heartedness. I think anyone with even half a brain could tell that it wasn't a genuine figure taken from some study, survey or similar.
OK, can I say 0.0001% of car drivers stay within the speed limit 100% of the time? ;)

I made that remark to investigate any possible hypocrisy in your comment. Obviously there is none, with you being one of the 0.001%* of cyclists that I speak of.
* see above quote and response before getting upset/offended/depressed
OK.

Don't use them then. The Highway Code #63 explains that cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes should they not wish to.
Where I deem it unsafe I won't, but the fact is they should not exist if they are dangerous. I've been beeped at by impatient motorists for not using the cycle lane before, despite having every right not to use them.

TheSlash

Established Member
After the impending civil war in this country, cyclists will be made to under take competence testing similar to that of a motorist and will also be expect to pay Vehicle Excise Duty.
But you don't need to worry Yorkie, as people like you will be rounded up and shot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.