• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BZ6 - Wanborough or Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Could someone advise if a Day Return from BZ6 to either Wanborough or Ash is valid via both Aldershot or Guildford please?
Thanks.
The Colonel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Permitted routes from Boundary Zone stations have not been clearly defined so I will not attempt to answer it in an authoritative manner.

What I would say is that both Aldershot and Guildford are reasonable routes for either Wanborough or Ash. I would be very surprised if the guard has a problem with you on either route.

The Colonel

Permitted routes from Boundary Zone stations have not been clearly defined so I will not attempt to answer it in an authoritative manner.

What I would say is that both Aldershot and Guildford are reasonable routes for either Wanborough or Ash. I would be very surprised if the guard has a problem with you on either route.

As the boundary in this case is effectively Surbiton what are the permitted routes from there please?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
As the boundary in this case is effectively Surbiton what are the permitted routes from there please?

Logically from Surbiton either via Guildford (on the XX27 and XX57 Guildford Via Cobham service) or via Ash Vale (on the XX11 and XX41 Alton service) should be permitted routes.

As long as you don't take the mick, ie Surbiton to Weybridge, Weybridge to Staines, Staines to Ascot, Ascot to Wanborough/Ash :lol:

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
The calculation below shows how Permitted Routes are determined for a Surbiton - Wanborough journey and a Surbiton - Ash journey.

Please note that this does not show Permitted Routes for a Boundary Zone 6 - Wanborough or Ash journey. bb21 has correctly pointed out that these have not been clearly defined. I hope to post later on that subject.

Surbiton - Wanborough and Surbiton - Ash: Permitted Routes calculation

Routeing Points (RPs) for Wanborough are Ash Vale, Farnborough Group and Guildford.
RPs for Ash are Ash Vale, Farnborough Group and Guildford.
We need to perform a Fares Check to determine appropriate RPs for Surbiton - Wanborough and Surbiton - Ash journeys.
Comparing Standard Anytime Day Single (SDS) fares, we have:
  • Surbiton - Ash SDS £9.30
  • Surbiton - Wanborough SDS £9.30
  • Surbiton - Ash Vale SDS £8.30. Therefore Ash Vale is an appropriate RP for both Surbiton - Wanborough and Surbiton - Ash journeys.
  • Surbiton - Farnborough Main SDS £8.30. Therefore Farnborough Group is an appropriate RP for both Surbiton - Wanborough and Surbiton - Ash journeys.
  • Surbiton - Guildford SDS £6.60. Therefore Guildford is an appropriate RP for both Surbiton - Wanborough and Surbiton - Ash journeys.
From the Permitted Route Identifier, mapped Permitted Routes
  • Surbiton - Ash Vale are on map WW
  • Surbiton - Farnborough Group are on map WX
  • Surbiton - Guildford are on map PD
From the maps, these are:
  • Surbiton - Weybridge - (Addlestone or avoiding Addlestone) - Byfleet & New Haw - Woking - Brookwood - Ash Vale - Aldershot - (Wanborough or Ash)
  • Surbiton - Woking - Farnborough Main - (walk) - (Blackwater or Farnborough North) - North Camp - (Wanborough or Ash)
  • Surbiton - (Oxshott or Woking) - Guildford - (Wanborough or Ash)
In addition, the shortest route, and routes not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, are always Permitted Routes, adding:
  • Surbiton - Weybridge - (avoiding Addlestone) - Byfleet & New Haw - Woking - Brookwood - Ash Vale - (walk) - North Camp - (Wanborough or Ash)

The Colonel

Thank you John for that very comprehensive reply.

Its not for me but a contact on another forum from Leeds who is coming to London and will have a Z1-6 T/card but may need a trip to Wanborough or Ash.
Much appreciated.
The Colonel

-HarleyD-

In addition, the shortest route, and routes not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, are always Permitted Routes, adding:
Surbiton - Weybridge - (avoiding Addlestone) - Byfleet & New Haw - Woking - Brookwood - Ash Vale - (walk) - North Camp - (Wanborough or Ash)

I would not advise anyone from outside the area to use this route, the (walk) from Ash Vale to North Camp is only about half a mile and is signposted BUT the local scrotes have a nasty habit of moving the signs and making them point in the wrong direction. if you are not familiar with the area it would be very easy to get lost.
From a personal choice i would go into Guildford and change as you can get fast Portsmouth services from Waterloo that stop there, then get the FGW service to Reading which calls at Ash. Just Purchase the extension before boarding to avoid that Penalty Fare ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.