• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure the Class 387s ex c2c had 3rd Rail installed so would have to stay north side with Class 387/2s (Gat Ex) going back south.
They do still have shoe gear. I found a video showing it here, there’s a reasonable view of 387306 passing through a station slowly from about 2m 20s to the end.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jturner98

All the /3 have shoe gear they are just permanently in the raised position as the air to them is disconnected. When new all were tested on third rail. It was part of the commissioning process that we done on them.

43102EMR

Established Member
The DFT have announced today that Go-ahead have been awarded the contract to operate GTR for six years (three years with a three year option). As part of that contract all six 387/3s will transfer to GTR when their leases expire at the end of June.
Do you have a link for this? Can’t seem to see anything confirming this

Class455

Established Member
Do you have a link for this? Can’t seem to see anything confirming this
It does seem plausible though, considering they would be like for like replacements for the 6 387/2's which will return south eventually.

D365

Veteran Member
Does this mean the 3 387/3s GWR have and which were recently modified to run with the rest of their fleet will now be moving to the GN in June?
One would hope that the /3s were made compatible with the GN /1s also.

43102EMR

Established Member
It does seem plausible though, considering they would be like for like replacements for the 6 387/2's which will return south eventually.
Maybe so, but would like to see something given I can’t seem to find anything confirming it…

Benno

Not sure the Class 387s ex c2c had 3rd Rail installed so would have to stay north side with Class 387/2s (Gat Ex) going back south.
They have the shoes and all DC equipment fitted but like the 387/1s have the DC fuses removed as they are not (currently) used on third rail.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yep I know about the DfT direct award, but can’t see anything on the c2c 387s?
I think what is being implied is that the internal version of the contract announcement must include far more detail, but as you say, linking to public versions of the contract award PR tells us nothing about rolling stock.

Snow1964

Established Member
I think what is being implied is that the internal version of the contract announcement must include far more detail, but as you say, linking to public versions of the contract award PR tells us nothing about rolling stock.

There will be a full version of the contract, which is few hundred pages long, in legal format with every section and sub-section numbered.

The DfT usually posts this on its website (although usually nearer 4-6 months after they are announced). The contracts for all the Operators are similar format with different specs, and one part lists the rolling stock requirement, and another lists frequency for each line etc.

They are not always accurate (or perhaps variations are made, that don’t get added to the public version), as an example I think the GWR one shows they must serve Reading Green Park 3 times an hour from 2020

aleggatta

They have the shoes and all DC equipment fitted but like the 387/1s have the DC fuses removed as they are not (currently) used on third rail.
Please can you source this? Is it a GW policy? The GN /1’s are able to routinely go south for maintenance, so can’t honestly see them having fuses removed

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There will be a full version of the contract, which is few hundred pages long, in legal format with every section and sub-section numbered.

The DfT usually posts this on its website (although usually nearer 4-6 months after they are announced). The contracts for all the Operators are similar format with different specs, and one part lists the rolling stock requirement, and another lists frequency for each line etc.

They are not always accurate (or perhaps variations are made, that don’t get added to the public version), as an example I think the GWR one shows they must serve
That’s exactly what I was meaning, I’m familiar with the DfT online versions (generally significantly redacted) and the usual time lags. It seems to me that some forum members expect that level of detail to be in the public domain the day the decision is announced, and it never happens like that.

Benno

Please can you source this? Is it a GW policy? The GN /1’s are able to routinely go south for maintenance, so can’t honestly see them having fuses removed
The source for the 387/1s are the Hornsey depot staff who I were speaking to last week. The third rail DC equipment is isolated due to it not being used. That doesn’t mean it cannot be reinstated when there is a need to run South of the river.

aleggatta

The source for the 387/1s are the Hornsey depot staff who I were speaking to last week. The third rail DC equipment is isolated due to it not being used. That doesn’t mean it cannot be reinstated when there is a need to run South of the river.
Oh I’m aware it can be reinstated easily, just seems a completely pointless exercise to disable something that doesn’t do any harm just sitting there, when the /2’s first came to Brighton we didn’t isolate the AC gear for the sake of it as there really wasn’t any point.

ashkeba

Established Member
Oh I’m aware it can be reinstated easily, just seems a completely pointless exercise to disable something that doesn’t do any harm just sitting there, when the /2’s first came to Brighton we didn’t isolate the AC gear for the sake of it as there really wasn’t any point.
The GN removed the DC gear from the 365s for some reason. Different habits?

Carlisle

Established Member
These kinda things are nothing new, BR removed ETH Jumper cables from its Departmental loco fleet

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Weren’t 365s different in that they weren’t truly dual voltage in that they had to be converted between AC and DC operation?

Mollman

Established Member
That’s exactly what I was meaning, I’m familiar with the DfT online versions (generally significantly redacted) and the usual time lags. It seems to me that some forum members expect that level of detail to be in the public domain the day the decision is announced, and it never happens like that.
To be fair, most of the time the summary announcement includes details of key rolling stock changes etc.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Perhaps the OP would consider changing the thread title to Ex-c2c 387s, to avoid confusion? Considering three have left for good and the other three are not used, and the thread is about their life beyond c2c anyway. :)

Benno

From Instagram, someone has confirmed that the 387s are back in service (for now)
387303, 304 & 305 all coupled together working 07:02 Shoeburyness - Fenchurch Street and 17:43 Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness today

Jturner98

387303, 304 & 305 all coupled together working 07:02 Shoeburyness - Fenchurch Street and 17:43 Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness today
I remember when they were introduced they exclusively worked as a 12 carriage train. A proper pain if you left a spanner down the other end.

Matt1981

Has the 387 use by C2C ended again? Images for the 07.02 Shoeburyness - Fenchurch Street on real-time trains last week showed 3x387s, but this week shows as 3x357s. Shame as I was hoping to see them on Friday

Fincra5

Established Member
GN 387/1s still have all the Shoe Gear, Fuses etc... I was teaching Traction on one today!

Status
Not open for further replies.