• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed something, what's the score with these now as appears none have worked since the TT change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43102EMR

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed something, what's the score with these now as appears none have worked since the TT change?
Apparently they’re on course for a move to GTR next month - hearing a lot of conflicting things about the 3 with GWR though as to whether they’re going or staying put.

Class 466

Established Member
Apparently they’re on course for a move to GTR next month - hearing a lot of conflicting things about the 3 with GWR though as to whether they’re going or staying put.
Led to believe they’ll go to GTR as well to allow the red 387s to come back south of the river.

43102EMR

Established Member
Led to believe they’ll go to GTR as well to allow the red 387s to come back south of the river.
Many GWR staff are saying they’re staying put - guess we’ll have to wait and see if/when the transfer happens.

MK Tom

Established Member
Thank you!!

Photoed the empty stock working for the 17:43 passing Limehouse at 17:30 on Thursday. Thanks again for the help:

P1037280-M.jpg

More here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/May-2022/UK-Rail-May-2022/i-7hn4v2R

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
Just saw on Twitter that 387301 and 302 are now debranded of their temporary GWR logos (albeit with the Trenitalia logos still on them). Can imagine it’s not long until their transfer happens then?

Established Member
I've heard the 387s are off lease from c2c next Thursday.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Ex-C2C 387s 387301, 302 & 306 are due to depart GWR next Tuesday 28/06.

5Q45 Reading TCD - Peterborough Nean Sidings.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My understanding is that it isn’t clear how many 387s will move south, nor if it’ll only be red ones that move.
Isn't it established that 35 units is the number needed on the GN to operate the current services (unless a few 717s can be freed up to operate longer distance services)?

43102EMR

Established Member
My understanding is that it isn’t clear how many 387s will move south, nor if it’ll only be red ones that move.
I mean considering it was the red ones that moved up in the first place over a year ago, surely it would make the most sense for those to be the ones that return to GatEx no?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I mean considering it was the red ones that moved up in the first place over a year ago, surely it would make the most sense for those to be the ones that return to GatEx no?
Yes but bar the odd peak Peterborough, they only really work Kings Cross Ely Kings Lynn. Particularly with the 455s gone, it may be that a few extras join the red ones in going to Southern as a matter of being needed more.

DanNCL

Established Member
That would make sense, which is why it probably won’t happen!

43102EMR

Established Member
That would make sense, which is why it probably won’t happen!
Exactly… after all this is the DfT we’re talking about here!

Yes but bar the odd peak Peterborough, they only really work Kings Cross Ely Kings Lynn. Particularly with the 455s gone, it may be that a few extras join the red ones in going to Southern as a matter of being needed more.
If anything it’ll most likely be a few /1s given they’ve had more experience on third rail than the /3s - will be interesting to see what happens though.

Last edited:

penguin8967

Any idea if the /3s will be out on the GWR network on monday or will they be at Reading being prepared for the move?

Class 466

Established Member
Last I heard it was 387/3s to SN as the three units on c2c at least don't have the more advanced ASDO fitted still so would end up on restricted diagrams on the GN whereas they can run as 4s on the East Coastway replacing the 387/2s that work on there currently.

aleggatta

Last I heard it was 387/3s to SN as the three units on c2c at least don't have the more advanced ASDO fitted still so would end up on restricted diagrams on the GN whereas they can run as 4s on the East Coastway replacing the 387/2s that work on there currently.
I think the three that went to GW have had the relevant mods to the SDO system (PIBS beacon) and are effectively 'standard 387s', obviously the three that remain with C2C still need these mods, but they aren't unexpected mods and would be incorporated into the other mods to make them compatible with the other fleets that they are expected to work with (i.e. Database updates etc). Fitment of the beacon is quite straightforward, with a simple bracket and multi-pin plug and reprogramming a module in the PTOSL, I would imagine less than a shifts work to do all the relevant mods to make one of these units ready for service, and there would be little point in putting them out before these mods had taken place.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Any idea if the /3s will be out on the GWR network on monday or will they be at Reading being prepared for the move?

They‘ll be on Reading TCD from Saturday. They won’t be out in traffic after that until they leave.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Purely out of interest, will the GWR fitted BW higher speed pantographs remain with the units or remain at Reading as spares for the main fleet?

To be honest, I don’t know. As far as I’m aware the only work done prior to hand back is the removal of the GWR decals. I’ve not seen anything mentioned about the removal of the Pantographs.

3973EXL

Established Member
Ex-C2C 387s 387301, 302 & 306 are due to depart GWR next Tuesday 28/06.

5Q45 Reading TCD - Peterborough Nean Sidings.
STP 28/06 0940 Wembley HS - Reading Traincare Depot
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R00656/2022-06-28/detailed

5Q45 1341 Reading Traincare Depot - Peterborough Nean CHS
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K03734/2022-06-28/detailed

1758 Peterborough Nean CHS - Wembley HS
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R00711/2022-06-28/detailed

43102EMR

Established Member
Apparently these will enter service with Southern and the moves to Peterborough are to temporarily store them until they re-enter service at the September TTC.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Apparently these will enter service with Southern and the moves to Peterborough are to temporarily store them until they re-enter service at the September TTC.
Southern? Posting elsewhere suggests they go to Hornsey first. I note the conversation above and post from 'Class 466' indicates that it isn't necessarily the six 387/2s on the GN that go south and does corroborate the Southern idea. Ultimately the point appears to be that Southern gets six 387s of some sort that can help with stock pressures.

Status
Not open for further replies.