• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

anthony263

Established Member
They could start by having a day rover for the Cardiff to Chester route with people able to hop on/off at will. Being as they have lost a lot of commuters, they should also scrap the 9.30 weekday rule where to travel earlier means higher prices. (A train leaves Cardiff around 9.20am for north Wales and so attracts the higher fare - unless you split at Newport which it reaches after 9.30 - but a lot of potential customers don’t know that).

The West Midlands Day Rover should include the section between Hereford & Shrewsbury with TfW getting a cut.

Anyway, I digress from topic of 197’s so I guess any other comments about boosting business should have a separate thread.
I actually agree plus a west wales rover ticket that goes as far east as port talbot or Pyle with the valley lines explorer extended to pyle

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BillStampy

According to RTT its left Cardiff. Could be the very first 197 to carry passengers on the Maesteg branch line.
Probably because it is! Its a good start to getting rid of the sprinters on the Maesteg branch, I am certainly very sick of them.

Jez

Established Member
Probably because it is! Its a good start to getting rid of the sprinters on the Maesteg branch, I am certainly very sick of them.
As long as it doesnt come at the expense of Sprinters on the Marches! Afterall Maesteg is more suited to Sprinters than the long distance Manchester to South Wales route.

Yes, my journey to Pontyclun on a 150 was awful today.
But thats a stopping service more suited to Sprinters than regional express services like Cardiff to Manchester etc.

BillStampy

But thats a stopping service more suited to Sprinters than regional express services like Cardiff to Manchester etc.
As much as the sprinters are more suited to it, they need a replacer as some will be required for the reopening of the Treherbert line. Since the 231s aren't going to Maesteg yet, the 197s are to be a little helping hand. But still the 197s are needed for Cardiff to Manchester more than us though which is understandable.

Jez

Established Member
As much as the sprinters are more suited to it, they need a replacer as some will be required for the reopening of the Treherbert line. Since the 231s aren't going to Maesteg yet, the 197s are to be a little helping hand. But still the 197s are needed for Cardiff to Manchester more than us though which is understandable.
Of course. And the 197s will be very welcome on Maesteg-Cheltenham services as long as enough in service to cover the diagrams.

Topological

One day we will reach the jam-filled tomorrow.

I'm still hoping one of the declassified 3-cars turns up before the first* gets classified again. But since it is rare to have a 150 now things are better. Lets see what is on the long-term non-Mk4 diagram tomorrow (starts with 1W13 and forms 10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester)

anthony263

Established Member
Not a great start 197050 got to Maesteg 12 minutes late seemed to run into a lot of delays after Llanharan

sd0733

Established Member
197118 now entered service started on 04:55 Chester to Manchester Airport today. 197120 also back in service following an hour behind it.

Jez

Established Member
197118 now entered service started on 04:55 Chester to Manchester Airport today. 197120 also back in service following an hour behind it.
That's good news and hopefully won't be long before they are in the South!

BillStampy

Not a great start 197050 got to Maesteg 12 minutes late seemed to run into a lot of delays after Llanharan
On the way back it got stuck at Wildmill to let an IET go through to Bridgend which is pretty common on the Maesteg branch, also since it was rush hour you'd expect a lot of people on the train especially since the Carmarthen service got cancelled from Cardiff onwards, so people would've tried to get on to get to Bridgend and Llanharan

197005 allocated onto Maesteg - Cheltenham this evening, first one in passenger service for Cardiff - Cheltenham if it does run

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, here it is at Bridgend.

I expect they’ll need testing on Ebbw Vale soon as well?

Attachments

• IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9147.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 87

BillStampy

Yes, here it is at Bridgend.

I expect they’ll need testing on Ebbw Vale soon as well?
Presumably so as they were said to be used on both Maesteg and Ebbw Vale, also that 197 is really good at catching up on schedules! Went from being 6 minutes late from Maesteg to 2 from Pontyclun! Compared to most other Maesteg services that would either be more delayed or stay around the same delay.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Today is a good day for anyone chasing 197s in the Marches and Cardiff areas, as for the first time ever (I think), all 197s out on the Manchester - West Wales, North Wales - Cardiff AND the Manchester - North Wales routes will feed through Cardiff and the Marches today.

Manchester Llandudno and Cardiff Holyhead are being truncated at Rhyl with bus onwards, and these are interworking, so ex Manchester via Runcorn East will become a Cardiff service, and vice versa. :)

I’m hoping 118 and 120 might make an appearance of course ;)

sd0733

Established Member
118 is the wrong side of the block so it's stuck in Holyhead until Monday, 120 should start out on 10:20 from Chester to Cardiff and 15:22 return.

BillStampy

118 is the wrong side of the block so it's stuck in Holyhead until Monday, 120 should start out on 10:20 from Chester to Cardiff and 15:22 return.
So basically we get 197120 in the South for about an hour and then it goes back! Atleast I'll be in Cardiff to see it around that time

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Anybody know what the situation is the with the Standard Premium seating on 197113-197126? There doesn't appear to be any Standard Premium fares online so are these units with the SP seating restricted to certain diagrams as per the Mk4s and First Class?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Anybody know what the situation is the with the Standard Premium seating on 197113-197126? There doesn't appear to be any Standard Premium fares online so are these units with the SP seating restricted to certain diagrams as per the Mk4s and First Class?
Standard Premium will be an on-train upgrade only.

At the moment it is declassified, due to no branding on the units. Once the units receive branding, it will then be in use.

GWVillager

At the moment, they seem to be operating in a common pool with the standard only sets, as the standard plus is currently declassified. When it is enforced, it will be upgrade only, and you can see the prices on BR Fares.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Standard Premium will be an on-train upgrade only.

At the moment it is declassified, due to no branding on the units. Once the units receive branding, it will then be in use.

At the moment, they seem to be operating in a common pool with the standard only sets, as the standard plus is currently declassified. When it is enforced, it will be upgrade only, and you can see the prices on BR Fares.
Interesting, thanks. I feel that will be very interesting to enforce when it is in use!

sd0733

Established Member
Interesting, thanks. I feel that will be very interesting to enforce when it is in use!
Why will it be any different to enforcing any other Standard plus/premium of First class? It's having branding added that's why it's not in use yet so nobody knows what that will look like.

Jez

Established Member
Today is a good day for anyone chasing 197s in the Marches and Cardiff areas, as for the first time ever (I think), all 197s out on the Manchester - West Wales, North Wales - Cardiff AND the Manchester - North Wales routes will feed through Cardiff and the Marches today.

Manchester Llandudno and Cardiff Holyhead are being truncated at Rhyl with bus onwards, and these are interworking, so ex Manchester via Runcorn East will become a Cardiff service, and vice versa. :)

Thanks for this. I wont be able to make it to Cardiff for 197120 as have other plans but may be able to get any 197s I need that come Swansea way.

I do think they need to get most of the standard plus sets into service first before they offer the service. Otherwise its going to be very hit and miss, especially if they are in the common pool and end up on routes that are not meant to have standard plus. Ideally it needs to be on every Manchester-Cardiff/Swansea that isnt a MK4 if they want people to get used to this upgrade service.

Last edited: