• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The Pembroke Dock line should see 197s in the next few weeks, meaning more 2 car 197s cascaded to that line and taken from elsewhere. The remaining 3 cars to be delivered will just replace those 2 cars, so there won't be much capacity gains.
Pembroke dock could remain mainly operated with 153s and just the occasional through working like the day's of 175s for now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
The Manchester to Tenby will return and Pembroke on Saturday. That'll be the main Pembroke 197 working.
Yes, that's what I had in mind also the Manchester to milford Haven and Pembroke Dock on a Sunday could be worked by 197s if required.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
IMG_3957.jpeg

They’re certainly plentiful at Central now, which I’m not complaining about as I like them very much. Had Platform 3/4’s central structure not have been in the way, you’d have seen the fourth 197 to the left of the photo. Often the Manchester, Holyhead, Carmarthen, Maesteg, Cheltenham, Ebbw Vale and Swanline will all be 197s in the same hour.

Image is of a window photo from the eastern approach to Cardiff Central, showing 197043 in Platform 1 terminating from Milford Haven, 197051 in Platform 2 travelling to Cheltenham Spa, and 197046 travelling to Carmarthen. 197048 is hidden on Platform 4, travelling to Maesteg.

Cambrian359

View attachment 158846

They’re certainly plentiful at Central now, which I’m not complaining about as I like them very much. Had Platform 3/4’s central structure not have been in the way, you’d have seen the fourth 197 to the left of the photo. Often the Manchester, Holyhead, Carmarthen, Maesteg, Cheltenham, Ebbw Vale and Swanline will all be 197s in the same hour.

Image is of a window photo from the eastern approach to Cardiff Central, showing 197043 in Platform 1 terminating from Milford Haven, 197051 in Platform 2 travelling to Cheltenham Spa, and 197046 travelling to Carmarthen. 197048 is hidden on Platform 4, travelling to Maesteg.
Great image!
Does anyone know if TFW are likely to use Cambrian 197s (once accepted) to reinforce non Cambrian services over the summer/going forward until all other fleets are in operation?
Particularly given the availability of 197s & mk4s and the fact 197s are now covering a number routes they were never intended for. It would certainly put on a good showing to the travelling public if they did.
I suppose the other question would be could Chester and Cardiff handle maintaining an extra 21 197s until Machynlleth changes over?
Sorry for the questions I’m a curious person!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Great image!
Does anyone know if TFW are likely to use Cambrian 197s (once accepted) to reinforce non Cambrian services over the summer/going forward until all other fleets are in operation?
Particularly given the availability of 197s & mk4s and the fact 197s are now covering a number routes they were never intended for. It would certainly put on a good showing to the travelling public if they did.
I suppose the other question would be could Chester and Cardiff handle maintaining an extra 21 197s until Machynlleth changes over?
Thank you very much :)

Caaardiff

Great image!
Canton don't maintain 197s, only Chester and eventually Machynlleth. Lots of talk that Chester Depot is already at capacity so unlikely the Cambrian 197's will be added to that.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Canton don't maintain 197s, only Chester and eventually Machynlleth. Lots of talk that Chester Depot is already at capacity so unlikely the Cambrian 197's will be added to that.
Will they still appear though, such like the current Cambrian 158's venture onto other routes?

Lurcheroo

Great image!
As Cardiff said, Chester depot is an issue.
But on top of that, no ERTMS 197 has been accepted yet and it may be sometime before any are accepted even if it was for ‘regular’ traffic.
Of course the focus will be having them ERTMS operational so additional testing may be required that nobody seems to know for sure.
So it’s highly unlikely, considering we’re almost in June, that any of them would even be available for summer let alone all of them.

Will they still appear though, such like the current Cambrian 158's venture onto other routes?
Unlikely. The 158’s are maintained at Mach.
The Chester depot is supposedly at capacity. If the 197’s haven’t swapped with the 158’s at Mach then there is no room for them so they won’t be in service.
If it turns out there is additional capacity at Chester then they *may* see service but no guarantee as they will need testing and accepting.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
View attachment 158846

That's an impressive picture, really like that.

I suppose it is ironic that the amount of 197s is dwarfed by the amount of Zeppelin mooring posts etc !. Sort of frames the 197s well mind you.

Caaardiff

Not as it stands. The 158's are maintained by TFW at Machynlleth with heavier maintenance at Canton. The 197's are maintained by CAF who will be taking over Machynlleth Depot in the near future with heavy maintenance done at Chester. So 197 maintenance will not be in-house like the 158's are.

Jez

Established Member
Not as it stands. The 158's are maintained by TFW at Machynlleth with heavier maintenance at Canton. The 197's are maintained by CAF who will be taking over Machynlleth Depot in the near future with heavy maintenance done at Chester. So 197 maintenance will not be in-house like the 158's are.
I thought all maintenance on 158s was done at Machynlleth, So it isnt really a maintenance depot then if they have to outsource the maintenance jobs to Canton (158) and Chester (197) ?

Another thing I noticed on the 197s whilst on my travels across the North Wales Coast on Saturday, that bikes seem to cause issues particularly when the train is busy. One journey that was 2 car and full and standing for the short journey from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno Junction, there were people sat on the seats opposite the catering area, someone was then stood with a bike which was partially blocking the aisle and someone sat on a suitcase up against the cupboard, it was very difficult for everyone to get off at the Junction. So what should take priority, bikes being put in the correct place or people sitting on the fold down seats. I cant imagine people being amused being asked to move from a seat if someone appears with a bike. But then again, bikes blocking aisles and people struggle to get to the doors to alight isnt ideal either.

On the return journey there was a pushchair in the same area where the fold up seats are, two men got on with bikes and were quite insistant the pushchair was removed (but were very polite about it), the pushchair was removed and put right by the doors. This was a 4 car so wasnt full and standing but it was more the lack of space for both bikes and the push chair that caused the issue. People also seem very reluctant to more from the doors when full and standing, personally id rather stand in the middle of the train if i have to stand as long as i can be sure i can get off at my station of course.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member

As Cardiff said, Chester depot is an issue.
There is a plan being worked on that will free up space at Chester by using another stabling location nearby - but it will require a bit of work as TfW drivers aren't currently qualified to go in there.
I thought all maintenance on 158s was done at Machynlleth, So it isnt really a maintenance depot then if they have to outsource the maintenance jobs to Canton (158) and Chester (197)
Most maintenance on 158s is done at Mach. Light day to day maintenance is also carried out at Crewe and Canton, and also some of the heavier stuff that Mach isn't set up for. It's their home depot, but it's not like other places aren't allowed touch them.

Jez

Established Member
There is a plan being worked on that will free up space at Chester by using another stabling location nearby - but it will require a bit of work as TfW drivers aren't currently qualified to go in there.

Most maintenance on 158s is done at Mach. Light day to day maintenance is also carried out at Crewe and Canton, and also some of the heavier stuff that Mach isn't set up for. It's their home depot, but it's not like other places aren't allowed touch them.
Thanks for explaining. Am i right in thinking all maintenance other than re-fuel and emptying the toilet tanks has to be done at Chester for the 197s (much like it was for the 175s previously) ?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Thank you, makes sense.

Lurcheroo

I thought all maintenance on 158s was done at Machynlleth, So it isnt really a maintenance depot then if they have to outsource the maintenance jobs to Canton (158) and Chester (197) ?
There was one at Machynlleth last week, half of it sitting on the hoist road and the other half in the maintenance shed having (what I believe to be) a complete engine change. So they definitely do some big ticket stuff there including both A and B exams.

Russel

Established Member
View attachment 158846

Though not perfect, they are actually really nice units to travel on I've found, as much as I miss the 175s on the North Wales Coast, I'll happily take a 197.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Though not perfect, they are actually really nice units to travel on I've found, as much as I miss the 175s on the North Wales Coast, I'll happily take a 197.
I'd be inclined to agree there. I remember when I first travelled on a 197 for TfW I was struck by how the centre doors made it more "150" that 158 or 175 and seemed to appear less capacity but they do seem fairly good when you get used to them. Not perfect I agree.

childwallblues

Established Member
197124 now at Chester, should be the next to enter service.
197124 was in the yard at Chester when I arrived about 0935 together with 197001. It was then shunted and went off south towards Crewe.
197113 arrived on a Holyhead-Cardiff train and went south with 197050 attached.
197102 and 197122 were working the Liverpool service today which pleased me as I managed to ride both. 197102 seems to have taken up residence on the service deing noted on four of the last five days.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Just been past ,Tyseley depot in Birmingham ,the West Midlands Railway Depot, but on a Chiltern Railways service, and saw a 3 Car Tfw 197 in the sidings there, viable from the mainline.
Does anyone know what it is doing at Tyseley please. Thank You.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Just been past ,Tyseley depot in Birmingham ,the West Midlands Railway Depot, but on a Chiltern Railways service, and saw a 3 Car Tfw 197 in the sidings there, viable from the mainline.
Does anyone know what it is doing at Tyseley please. Thank You.
197s go there occasionally for tyre turning.

danbarjon

I was on 197122 today between Liverpool and Runcorn, I wasn't aware that the 197s have First Class until I was sat in it and the guard was let's say loudly informing everyone they needed to pay for it but there was no signage so how would anyone know which is First and Standard with no signage...

Lurcheroo

I was on 197122 today between Liverpool and Runcorn, I wasn't aware that the 197s have First Class until I was sat in it and the guard was let's say loudly informing everyone they needed to pay for it but there was no signage so how would anyone know which is First and Standard with no signage...
From TFW’s point it’s being described as ‘Standard plus’.
I can’t believe this discussion is still on-going.
It’s declassified as it stands so NO UPGRADE FEE is needed.
I’ve just double checked my emails and nothing has been sent out to inform conductors of any different either.

Was the guard removing people or making them pay an upgrade ?

danbarjon

I’ve just double checked my emails and nothing has been sent out to inform conductors of any different either.

He was making them pay for the upgrade I didn't see anyone get moved but people where paying

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, thankfully me and a few groups moved before we could get charged as some people (including me) were only on for 15 minutes.
If you remember the service it was working (and even better noticed the first name of the guard) I advise you to write into TfW about that. Not acceptable.

It’s made worse by the fact Liverpool Chester isn’t even a planned route for chargeable upgrades.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Was that the 1647 off Lime St? I was on that too - that guard was indeed a tad full on. Must have been 6 announcements before we’d even departed!

MP393

197024 is currently sitting on Pl8 at Crewe working 5Q45, just made its way onto ATC Crewe as I type. Is that the first of the ERTMS batch to make a move?