• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Class 92's

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomartin125

92014 was operating the Dagenham to Garston car train on Thursday/Friday.

For your information, 6L48/6X41 is now being operated daily by GBRf (CS Livery) Class 92's instead of Class 66's. Was being operated by 92038 initally but 92014 took over in the middle of the week. My guess is they are thoroughly testing it before use on the Sleeper Service long haul once again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
My guess is they are thoroughly testing it before use on the Sleeper Service long haul once again.

Yes, from what I can see, they've been running it back into service following a re-overhaul at Brush. Running with another 92 and a 66 on the WCML for LE moves, with 92010 on the SRPS set to test coaching stock (e.g. ETH) capabilities, and now to test the horsepower by using it on freight without a backup loco (usually a 66). If 6X41/6L48 are successful, then it's only matter of time before we see it in Euston once again.

TimboM

Established Member
92023 was on 6X41 cartics this morning (no back-up loco) - so the latest one to undergo this part of the "reintroduction"?

The GBRf MD was quoted yesterday as saying all of their 92s would have completed the "modifications", and the Caledonian Sleepers would be fully-92 hauled, by the end of the year.

captainbigun

92023 was on 6X41 cartics this morning (no back-up loco) - so the latest one to undergo this part of the "reintroduction"?

The GBRf MD was quoted yesterday as saying all of their 92s would have completed the "modifications", and the Caledonian Sleepers would be fully-92 hauled, by the end of the year.

Only 92014 is so modified thus far. It is now working on the sleeper circuit again. Once this is proven the others will follow.

G_A_C_C_C

What is the chance of any of the other 92s stuck in Loughborough ever running again? I need 5 of the buggers in there....:(

najaB

Veteran Member
Off topic, I know, but does anyone know why the CS liveried 86 is at Ilford works?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

leomartin125

Off topic, I know, but does anyone know why the CS liveried 86 is at Ilford works?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That would be 86401. No idea why it's there but from what I've heard from GBRf drivers that are based on the sleeper in London, its in a pretty bad way and needs an overhaul. Traction motors are nearly dead so need replacing, perhaps it's there for that.

leomartin125

In other news, 92033 was hauled by 66710 from Crewe H.S. to Loughborough Brush yesterday. This makes it the second GBRf 92 to be undergoing an overhaul in preparation for C/S duties once again. Once complete, will join 92014 in hauling the sleepers.

Rob T

What is the chance of any of the other 92s stuck in Loughborough ever running again? I need 5 of the buggers in there....:(

There are six there - 92006/20/28/33/45/46.

92028/33 are there for repair.
92045/46 have been there since 2007 and I believe they have been extensively robbed and look very unlikely to return
92006 moved there in 2014, but it is reported to have significant corrosion, so is probably some way down the list and may have given up parts to get other GBRF 92s back in operation.

92020 (stored since 2001) moved there in 2014 and could be another one that has been used to donate spares, but that is just speculation on my part.

Finally, TOPS also shows 92021/40 at Loughborough, but they are actually at Coquelles in France.

Harbornite

Established Member
I saw one by Crewe riviera while I was heading to Gresty Bridge for the open day.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
There are six there - 92006/20/28/33/45/46.

92028/33 are there for repair.
92045/46 have been there since 2007 and I believe they have been extensively robbed and look very unlikely to return
92006 moved there in 2014, but it is reported to have significant corrosion, so is probably some way down the list and may have given up parts to get other GBRF 92s back in operation.

92020 (stored since 2001) moved there in 2014 and could be another one that has been used to donate spares, but that is just speculation on my part.

Finally, TOPS also shows 92021/40 at Loughborough, but they are actually at Coquelles in France.

LIAR stating that 2 to return and 4 to be scrapped in an interview with someone from GBRf, so all probably back in service a week on Friday.

Was only looking at RAIL to see what else they had in the electrification special, honest guv.

captainbigun

That would be 86401. No idea why it's there but from what I've heard from GBRf drivers that are based on the sleeper in London, its in a pretty bad way and needs an overhaul. Traction motors are nearly dead so need replacing, perhaps it's there for that.

That's platform end jibber at best.

It's back from Ilford next week, due exam and then back in the pool. It's not in 'bad way'.

leomartin125

That's platform end jibber at best.

It's back from Ilford next week, due exam and then back in the pool. It's not in 'bad way'.

Yeah I took it at face value, probably just didn't want to look bad towards a much younger person to be fair.

92033 has been based at Crewe Holding Sidings awaiting for Loughborough to confirm it's overhaul date. This was most likely the one you saw, the rest are based up at Polmadie, Edinburgh and Mossend Loco Holding. 92033 is now at Loughborough Brush as I have previously posted.

Last edited:

leomartin125

After spending a day in London hunting for these GBRf 92's, I can confirm 92014 and 92023 are both at the Willesden Loco Pool, with only 92014 being able to haul sleepers, and 92023 being a spare ECS loco. The rest of the 92's are either located in Crewe H.S. / Carlisle N.Y. or Scotland (Mossend, Edinburgh or Polmadie).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just wondered what this path is about? I could understand the need for a Willesden to Dollands Moor path, if the sleepers were under DB Cargo operation with 92's, this would be their weekly swap path. But it isn't.... and it's to Dollands Moor GBRf, I have never seen this path activated before!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O18519/2016/08/09/advanced

Freightmaster

Established Member
Just wondered what this path is about? I could understand the need for a Willesden to Dollands Moor path, if the sleepers were under DB Cargo operation with 92's, this would be their weekly swap path. But it isn't.... and it's to Dollands Moor GBRf, I have never seen this path activated before!
It's to get a loco down there to work the GB-operated EMU import movement
to Three Bridges on a Wednesday; as GB no longer have any other Channel
Tunnel Traffic, a loco has to be sent from London specially for this train.

MARK

Tav

Not sure if anyone here can help but I was travelling on the euro tunnel train on Thursday morning 25/08 and passed Coquelles at about 04:30 and noticed on the right hand side in direction of travel in the yard there a caledonian livery 92.
I thought it looked like 92006 but not sure, is anyone able to confirm this?
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.