• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Confirmed 92014 on the up Highland tonight, 018 on the Lowland.

Sorry Kite, but I guess it was always gonna happen after all signs pointing to it.

Saves me a job having to walk back to Scotland to ID it (currently in coach A which is in the middle of the formation after the Edinburgh shunt), but currently 25 minutes ahead of schedule at Potters Bar :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Saves me a job having to walk back to Scotland to ID it (currently in coach A which is in the middle of the formation after the Edinburgh shunt), but currently 25 minutes ahead of schedule at Potters Bar :)

You're getting 92 033. The 87 is doing 1M11. Coach A is always the middle after the shunt at Edinburgh southbound.

Essexman

Established Member
Arrived in Glasgow 20 minutes early this morning despite late departure.

Don't think I've been behind a 47 since 2006 to Norwich.

1S26 not the most tightly timed schedule last night (even allowing for the higher top speed of the 90).

60 late Camden Road
1 early Colton Jn
34 early Newcastle.

92033 Euston - Wembley
90042 Wembley - Edinburgh
47749 Edinburgh - Glasgow.

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 not the most tightly timed schedule last night (even allowing for the higher top speed of the 90).

60 late Camden Road
1 early Colton Jn
34 early Newcastle.

92033 Euston - Wembley
90042 Wembley - Edinburgh
47749 Edinburgh - Glasgow.

1S25 likewise pretty 'relaxed'. It was 22 Late at Camden Jnc (second time around) and 29 Early at Newcastle - and was 92-hauled.

It was decent enough cheers!

Was thrown around in the bunk a bit, with being at the very end of the coach. Ultimately though, I went for the 47, and as that produced, I was happy!

Essexman

Established Member
Sounds like some good performances there chaps. Were your journeys enjoyable?

Slept from Wembley to Edinburgh, then again most of way to Glasgow. I tend to wake when the train stops not if ride rough so that and the 47 made for a good trip.

Scotrail84

Established Member
92 033 Euston to Wembley on 1S26.

92 014 from Wembley to Edinburgh.

47 749 will work 1S26 forward from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Assuming it will be 73 xxx on 5B26.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is there any other service that gets this level of live play-by-play commentary? Don't stop, it's awesome.

TimboM

Established Member
92 033 Euston to Wembley on 1S26.

92 014 from Wembley to Edinburgh.

47 749 will work 1S26 forward from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Assuming it will be 73 xxx on 5B26.

Looks like 73968 again - it worked the ECS from Polamdie to Waverley this evening and did both Waverley ECS shifts yesterday/this morning.

Is there any other service that gets this level of live play-by-play commentary? Don't stop, it's awesome.

Erm... no!

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I doubt it with the possible acception of GWR's own sleaper but that isnt as much talked about.

Perhaps we could draw attention away from the Caly by starting a thread on the daily progress of the 17xx Edinburgh Glasgow Central via Shotts stopper that calls at Breich?
Or how about the 2 daily National Express coaches between Plymouth and Scotland?

TimboM

Established Member
Aside from the fact the sleeper is an iconic service, I doubt there's any others which involve 12 different locos spanning 6 different classes and from 5 different TOCs/owners in the space of c.12 hours.

Not to mention all the many things that can go wrong on a journey from London to the Highlands of Scotland (and vice versa).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
*Sings*
On the 12th day of Xmas Cally Sleaper gave to me:

12 different Locos
11 cleaners cleaning
10 stuards serving
9 Yanky tourists
8 Scottish Breakfasts
7 mault Whiskies
6 different classes
5 FOC's!
4 blocked bogs
3 dodgy heaters
2 disruptive pax
and a failed class 67.

Sorry but Timbo's rattling off of numbers above got me thinking up silly songs!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
*Sings*

12 different Locos
11 cleaners cleaning
10 stuards serving
9 Yanky tourists
8 Scottish Breakfasts
7 mault Whiskies
6 different classes
5 FOC's!
4 blocked bogs
3 dodgy heaters
2 disruptive pax
and a failed class 67.

Excellent :lol:

CosherB

Established Member
*Sings*

12 different Locos
11 cleaners cleaning
10 stuards serving
9 Yanky tourists
8 Scottish Breakfasts
7 mault Whiskies
6 different classes
5 FOC's!
4 blocked bogs
3 dodgy heaters
2 disruptive pax
and a failed class 67.

Superb!

CosherB

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance on such matters, but if this situation happens again when the Mk5 stock is in use, and drags out of Euston are needed by an 'electric loco', and a 'diesel loco' is required northof the border, what will be used? As all UK traction for a full Mk5 CS rake has insufficient ETS, other than the 92s, is there a contingency being planned in for future workings such as these?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance on such matters, but if this situation happens again when the Mk5 stock is in use, and drags out of Euston are needed by an 'electric loco', and a 'diesel loco' is required northof the border, what will be used? As all UK traction for a full Mk5 CS rake has insufficient ETS, other than the 92s, is there a contingency being planned in for future workings such as these?

73's can provide the ETH North of the border. Not on a load 16 though.

TimboM

Established Member

73's can provide the ETH North of the border. Not on a load 16 though.

They've still split the (Lowlander) at Edinburgh for these diversions (or the majority at least) so it's only been the Glasgow portion (load 8) that's gone via Shotts which a 73 would be able to cope with (and the 47?)

I'm assuming though for the initial Euston-Wembley drag (if diverting via ECML in future with the Mk5s) they wouldn't be able to use the 87 (or 86s) and would need 92s on this.

...which is one reason I suspect 92028 has finally made it out of Loughborough and they're working through the remaining operational ones to have 10 'sleeper-ready' 92s available.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
They've still split the (Lowlander) at Edinburgh for these diversions (or the majority at least) so it's only been the Glasgow portion (load 8) that's gone via Shotts which a 73 would be able to cope with (and the 47?)

I'm assuming though for the initial Euston-Wembley drag (if diverting via ECML in future with the Mk5s) they wouldn't be able to use the 87 (or 86s) and would need 92s on this.

...which is one reason I suspect 92028 has finally made it out of Loughborough and they're working through the remaining operational ones to have 10 'sleeper-ready' 92s available.

My thought as well. In fact, once the Mk5s are introduced, does it impact on the whole future of the 'classic' electric traction used for even the ECS work due to their insufficient ETS?

TimboM

Established Member
My thought as well. In fact, once the Mk5s are introduced, does it impact on the whole future of the 'classic' electric traction used for even the ECS work due to their insufficient ETS?

Not sure, but good question. They'd still be OK presumably on the Polmadie-Glasgow ECS as that's load 8.

For the Wembley-Euston run, the (16) empty coaches all look lit up when they head into Euston on an evening, but I'm not sure if they need to be? I think the staff are on board, so some light/heat will be needed, but not sure if there's a way they'll be able to go in on 'reduced power' with an 86/87 and then go on 'full power' once the 92 is hooked up (my hunch would be not).

Status
Not open for further replies.