• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alistairlees

Established Member
Hmm. I'm getting two coaches on the EDB - FTW leg too. Coach S and coach A. Guests from FTW should only be in the ex-Aberdeen coach. Will have to have a look.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was looking for bookings for a potential trip in September and the website isn't giving me the option to select my seat, and I don't really want to take the ones on offer as it looks like the seats are filling from those bays near the toilet towards the centre, whereas I tend to prefer one of the single airline seats [less chance of playing footsie with the person sat opposite].

I guess I will probably have to give them a ring

Highlandspring

Established Member
1B01 subject to disruption tonight due to the line being blocked between Bathgate and Newbridge Jn....

Edit 2330 - B01 will divert via the Whifflet Basin, Motherwell and Carstairs.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
73966 worked 5C11 last night with 92023 on rear, as it firstly reversed from Polmadie into Glasgow (023 doing the draw-back), then ran via the Sub to turn the stock (73966 hauling).

I was at Waverley to catch this - at first I thought it was going to be the 73 to Carstairs, but then I spotted 92023 on the rear and the 73 disappeared off. The 92 then ran round the stock, which was a relief to me as it was 'required'!

And on that note, after the last two nights in the seats (no upgrades for me - although I think I sleep as well in the seats and I like to be able to get up to see what's going on) I am rather tired!

BRX

Established Member
the website isn't giving me the option to select my seat,

Are you sure? You need to click on the box in the lower left (highlighted in green in my screenshots above) to be given the options - I didn't realise this at first.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are you sure? You need to click on the box in the lower left (highlighted in green in my screenshots above) to be given the options - I didn't realise this at first.

This is all I get when it comes to the reservation screen. One at the end of August is fine. Although I guess I could try fooling the system with dummy reservations to block out those bay seats to avoid having to play footsie with someone, and once the system has allocated me a single airline seat delete the previous reservations

[off course this is assuming the seats of the new stock will be in a similar layout]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 62

Steddenm

Travelled on last night's lowlander between Euston and Glasgow and have to say it was a bit of a disappointment.

Was first class in a solo birth (J02) and the cabin was freezing, breakfast albeit preordered was wrong, the 90 that took us lost time then picked it back up again, and found the staff a bit offish. Asked for breakfast to be served around Carstairs and finally got it luke warm at Motherwell.

Next time I'll go Virgin last thing or in the morning. At £200 for a fare too it was expensive.

stuart

I don't think the timekeeping is anything to worry about. There is a lot of slack in the timings in order to allow the inevitable delays to be caught up, and to ensure you have a sensible departure and arrival time. I see the 1S26 was a minute early into GLC against the working time table and 5 minutes against the published time table. I have found that the quality of the crews varies an awful lot: depending on the direction and the night of travel, you will either get a London-based or a Scottish-based crew, and (while there are always individual exceptions) I have certainly noticed a difference in attitude.

Overall, though, travel from London on the WCML to Glasgow (or ECML to Edinbugh) is now so fast that it's really too short a journey to make a sleeper worth while, but there are occasions when it's the only way to fit into a busy business schedule. The fares do seem expensive (even with the benefit of the senior railcard I now have) but if you take into account London hotel prices, I'm not sure it's such a bad deal.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Travelled on last night's lowlander between Euston and Glasgow and have to say it was a bit of a disappointment.

Was first class in a solo birth (J02) and the cabin was freezing, breakfast albeit preordered was wrong, the 90 that took us lost time then picked it back up again, and found the staff a bit offish. Asked for breakfast to be served around Carstairs and finally got it luke warm at Motherwell.

Next time I'll go Virgin last thing or in the morning. At £200 for a fare too it was expensive.

Did you try and adjust the temperature using the toggle switch?
Power goes off on arrival at Carstairs for the split so that may be a factor as to why you got it at Motherwell.

JModulo

adjust the temperature using the toggle switch?

I've found this is good when it works. Some times though it ends up freezing or too warm, regardless of the setting you have it on. Hopefully okay tonight. Booked on 1S26.

cf111

Established Member
I've found this is good when it works. Some times though it ends up freezing or too warm, regardless of the setting you have it on. Hopefully okay tonight. Booked on 1S26.
I always stick it to freezing cold as soon as I get on in the spring/summer otherwise I roast all night.

Steddenm

Did you try and adjust the temperature using the toggle switch?
Power goes off on arrival at Carstairs for the split so that may be a factor as to why you got it at Motherwell.

Yes the toggle didn't change anything at all. The member of staff dealing with the coach just shrugged.

BRX

Established Member
86401 on the front of the highlander at euston. 92043 on the back presumably to take us onwards after reversing at wembley. Inverness seated coach seems to be functional so far...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
86401 on the front of the highlander at euston. 92043 on the back presumably to take us onwards after reversing at wembley. Inverness seated coach seems to be functional so far...

That's correct, 92043 should take you north from Wembley yard. The northbound lowlander should be 90047 with 87002 providing the drawback to Wembley yard.

Ben.A.98

Presume its you up at the front window then?

Far north 37

Established Member
92043 coupled upto 1S25 at euston to take it north couldn't see what was at the buffers but seen 90047 coming of willesden earlier, also 90042 been parked outside willesden all day with its panto down.

TimboM

Established Member
92043 coupled upto 1S25 at euston to take it north couldn't see what was at the buffers but seen 90047 coming of willesden earlier, also 90042 been parked outside willesden all day with its panto down.
90047 on the other end (for 1S26 later).
90042 heading back to FL at Crewe for B Exam tomorrow.

Last edited:

JModulo

Noticed while making a booking this evening that the sleeper website seems to be giving out any reservation it likes, even when choosing a 1st class ticket, it still reserves you a standard berth. Would appear this issue has been ongoing for a while now and still hasn't been resolved.

theironroad

Established Member
Noticed while making a booking this evening that the sleeper website seems to be giving out any reservation it likes, even when choosing a 1st class ticket, it still reserves you a standard berth. Would appear this issue has been ongoing for a while now and still hasn't been resolved.

...and Cal sleeper/serco seemed to have stopped answering questions about it so I've stopped travelling with them....

JModulo

i.e. with double occupancy?

Yes. I had this issue a few weeks ago when I booked a solo "1st" berth, although noticed my reservation was one of the double, standard, ones. Turned up for the train and was ofcourse allocated it. The host tried to tell me that my ticket wasn't for a solo, despite stating on the ticket it was "1st solo" and was pretty much told tough, deal with it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes. I had this issue a few weeks ago when I booked a solo "1st" berth, although noticed my reservation was one of the double, standard, ones. Turned up for the train and was ofcourse allocated it. The host tried to tell me that my ticket wasn't for a solo, despite stating on the ticket it was "1st solo" and was pretty much told tough, deal with it.

Did you have to share? If so I would be on them for a partial refund.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
After around 30 minutes of explaining to the host, I didn't need to. Was offered £5 compensation voucher.

That is really quite insulting and cheap. I'd have expected at least £50 or a free journey, or maybe a free full meal with dessert and coffee and a couple of drinks in the lounge car.

Far north 37

Established Member
90047 on the other end (for 1S26 later).
90042 heading back to FL at Crewe for B Exam tomorrow.
Thanks for the info tim also seen 90029 dropping 92019 of at wembley eufoc and hurriedly returning to crewe so a fair bit of 90 and 92 activity yesterday.

Alphalanky

First time on the seats in a few weeks, can you get away with having a look around the train etc. or are you stuck (as you're supposed to be) in the seated carriage?

JModulo

First time on the seats in a few weeks, can you get away with having a look around the train etc. or are you stuck (as you're supposed to be) in the seated carriage?

Believe you are stuck as the seats are at the end. Furthest you can get is the counter for the lounge car.

Status
Not open for further replies.