• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
I was on 1B01 forming 1M16 last night. The Inverness portion drew up the side of us and it looked very empty.
1M16 left Edinburgh some 50 minutes late and proceeded to be THE bumpiest roughest sleeper journey I’ve ever done. I genuinely though we had hit something at one point.
I’ve done ECML diverts before and not noticed that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
I was on 1B01 forming 1M16 last night. The Inverness portion drew up the side of us and it looked very empty.
1M16 left Edinburgh some 50 minutes late and proceeded to be THE bumpiest roughest sleeper journey I’ve ever done. I genuinely though we had hit something at one point.
I’ve done ECML diverts before and not noticed that.

If the loco was a 90 you'd be doing 100mph to make up the time, if it was a 92 you'd be doing 87mph to try and make up time. ECML is notoriously bumpy, especially be tween Newcastle and Edinburgh in my experience.

As for the INV looking empty, I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell as you can't see into the berths and the lounge car would be quiet at that time of night anyway.

robbeech

Established Member
I was talking more forward and back bumping on overrun and taking power. Like extra slack in the links between the carriages.

As for the berths I could see into most of them as the blinds were up and the lights on and they were completely empty. I’d say 1 or 2 out of each of the carriages we shunted back past had blinds down so were likely occupied. Most were empty. I didn’t see the lounge car so can’t comment on that. We reversed onto the ABD portion so I got to see some of the INV berths that way and then the INV portion moved forwards so I saw the rest of what I could see.

It was 92018 that took us south. And we made up the time easily by Doncaster. 90043 to take us into Euston.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I was talking more forward and back bumping on overrun and taking power. Like extra slack in the links between the carriages.

As for the berths I could see into most of them as the blinds were up and the lights on and they were completely empty. I’d say 1 or 2 out of each of the carriages we shunted back past had blinds down so were likely occupied. Most were empty. I didn’t see the lounge car so can’t comment on that. We reversed onto the ABD portion so I got to see some of the INV berths that way and then the INV portion moved forwards so I saw the rest of what I could see.

It was 92018 that took us south. And we made up the time easily by Doncaster. 90043 to take us into Euston.

There lies the problem. A 92 hailing the rake. Horrendous locos.

robbeech

Established Member
There lies the problem. A 92 hailing the rake. Horrendous locos.
I must admit I’ve never known it that bad before though, I’ve had alsorts of traction over the years both on the WCML (and ECML) and North of Edinburgh. Mostly 92s over the last year though.

Essexman

Established Member
They do, but Essexman's problem is that you can't order a meal or reserve a table as part of an online Flexipass booking.

I sent a tweet to Caledonian Sleeper and they've said they've added a note against my booking for on board hosts.
It does seem a bit unfair that regular passengers can't book while one offs can.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One thing I noticed last night with the lowlander that after Doncaster it felt like it went via the freight lines south of the station (it wasn't as smooth as it was previously), looked like it went into platform 3 so did it go via the freight lines to rejoin the ECML after the Lincoln flyover or is just the main ECML just that bumpy?

Scotrail84

Established Member
One thing I noticed last night with the lowlander that after Doncaster it felt like it went via the freight lines south of the station (it wasn't as smooth as it was previously), looked like it went into platform 3 so did it go via the freight lines to rejoin the ECML after the Lincoln flyover or is just the main ECML just that bumpy?

No. It went via the booked route I think.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G60098/2018/05/06/advanced

Highlandspring

Established Member
Just watched it back on CCF replay, it ran via the Up Fast line as booked from Doncaster to Retford.

Scotrail84

Established Member
CCF - Control Centre of the Future

System that allows (amongst other things) controllers to replay train movements. It helps with things like delay attribution.

I take it thats an internal system you wont find on the web?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Access to CCF is strictly controlled, yes.

Not all staff have access even. I can ordinarily only access P2, which is nowhere near as good.

BRX

Established Member
I'm booked on two trips in the seats next week. Wondering what my % chance of getting bumped into a berth thanks to ill-maintained mk2s is...

robbeech

Established Member
Up Highland was booked through Retford P2 Sunday night according to RTT which is absurd. Naturally this did not happen.

Highlandspring

Established Member
For those that are keeping a record of these things 73968 failed in the early hours of this morning while running light from the Waverley to Craigentinny for servicing and had to be assisted onto the depot by 67030. It was back out again for 1Y11 after the fitters had a look at it.

Scotrail84

Established Member
73 966 went dead on 5C11 this morning as well, 92 023 was the leading loco.

Last night, 1S26 was 92 010 with dead 90 047 tucked in behind

Scotrail84

Established Member
sunday night (13th) eus-inv
thursday night (17th) ftw-eus

You just never know you're luck. I guess you've more chance on your return journey as you've 2 x seated cars to use for your journey South, anything can happen.

JModulo

I'm booked on two trips in the seats next week. Wondering what my % chance of getting bumped into a berth thanks to ill-maintained mk2s is...

I'll go for 50% going by the recent events with them. Hopefully they don't get your tickets mixed up either. Had issues with mine on the past 3 trips....

TimboM

Established Member
73 966 went dead on 5C11 this morning as well, 92 023 was the leading loco.

Last night, 1S26 was 92 010 with dead 90 047 tucked in behind
Take it you mean 5B26 this morning (i.e. empty stock back to Polmadie)?

73966 worked 5C11 last night with 92023 on rear, as it firstly reversed from Polmadie into Glasgow (023 doing the draw-back), then ran via the Sub to turn the stock (73966 hauling).

AFAIK 90047 has been moved up for Mk5 110 mph testing due to recommence tonight.

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
I'll go for 50% going by the recent events with them. Hopefully they don't get your tickets mixed up either. Had issues with mine on the past 3 trips....
There was something a bit weird going on in the booking system. On the Edinburgh to Euston leg of the fort william to London booking, it gave me two seated coaches to choose a seat from. In fact I tried again now, the same thing happens. Or is it that you can now choose whether you move into the Inverness or Aberdeen coaches?

See the screenshots.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 19.24.48.jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 19.24.57.jpg

theironroad

Established Member
There was something a bit weird going on in the booking system. On the Edinburgh to Euston leg of the fort william to London booking, it gave me two seated coaches to choose a seat from. In fact I tried again now, the same thing happens. Or is it that you can now choose whether you move into the Inverness or Aberdeen coaches?

See the screenshots.

View attachment 46394 View attachment 46395

Glad to see that the seated coach has the option to choose your seat, in contrast to berth coaches where there is no ability to choose or set any preference, just take what's allocated automatically......

TimboM

Established Member

See the screenshots.
One is Coach A and the other Coach S which backs up your theory... Didn't think FTW passengers had the choice though? (i.e. thought all went into the ABD seats)

BRX

Established Member
One is Coach A and the other Coach S which backs up your theory... Didn't think FTW passengers had the choice though? (i.e. thought all went into the ABD seats)
Yes I thought they all went into ABD.
A bit odd that coach S is showing every single seat available. I reckon it must be something wrong in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.