• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
It’s Load 15, so yes your eyes were deceiving you. Just the speed 033 was going at probably ;)
Thanks, I have also just finished a night shift so that may also have something to do with it as well :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
I've linked this on the Caledonian Sleeper Class 92 thread, but aware there is a fair bit of general interest in the Dellners/Class 92 mods, so also posting the links here.

92038 was released from Brush today after over 7 months for overhaul and modifications to enable it to work with the Mk5s. Some photos of the Dellners can be found via the links below (including the coupling to the 66 using the 'classic' draw-hook with the Dellner dropped down):

Front view: https://flic.kr/p/Ew5bJk

Front view (close-up of Dellners): https://flic.kr/p/Ew5bR4
Coupling to 66 (note new retractable buffers): https://flic.kr/p/Ew5cqF

TimboM

Established Member
What odds on it being discovered they're at the wrong height for the Mk5s? :lol:
They've managed to get them at the right height on the Class 73/9s which are happily shunting the new Mk5s around Polmadie, so here's hoping... :D

amywok

6DB16738-0C17-4BAE-8F45-638CD53BCAD4.jpeg 91BDAB44-226F-489B-B2EC-1D5E06449BD9.jpeg Euston this morning

92033 on platform one blocks having worked 1m11 lowlander and 92018 on platform 15 having worked 1m16 Highlander

cambsy

On Moderation
I was at Glasgow last night waiting for the Lowlander, which was late boarding but left on time, and arrived Euston about 28 mins early, which was bought in ECS by 47769 City of Truro, got a photo of it, made up the late boarding, something bit different.

TimboM

Established Member
I was at Glasgow last night waiting for the Lowlander, which was late boarding but left on time, and arrived Euston about 28 mins early, which was bought in ECS by 47769 City of Truro, got a photo of it, made up the late boarding, something bit different.
City of Truro (47749) was actually the reason you were late boarding.

Had a real struggle getting the stock into Glasgow - needed a hand from the 92 on the back in the end I believe.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
90045 appears gto be having some problems. 1S26 stuck at Tring (0045)

UPDATE: 90045 declared a failure after the Lowland stopped for an hour at Tring. Unusually peaceful sleep so far for the occupants. 8-)

UPDATE 2: Left Tring 270 late at 0458 and has lost a few minutes since.
Not quite what RTT is saying but I was there. :D

Last edited:

snakeeyes

I was on the sleeper from Aberdeen.
We were held at Preston, and i was in the seated coach.
We were advised that the train would be sitting aat Preston until 8am and advised to get the Virgin Cross country train in to Euston.
Does anybody know what the issue was ?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I don’t particularly mind the delay, but I wish they could stop the effing fire alarm going off just when I get back to sleep - that’s twice now. o_O

It was turned off in less than a minute both times but it’s not really a sound I like to wake up to.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I was on the sleeper from Aberdeen.
We were held at Preston, and i was in the seated coach.
We were advised that the train would be sitting aat Preston until 8am and advised to get the Virgin Cross country train in to Euston.
Does anybody know what the issue was ?

I wonder if the delayed Lowland has anything to do with it?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
1S26 now stopped at Crewe.

Caledonian Sleeper website saying
Service Update: Saturday 10th February 2018: Our Euston to Glasgow and Edinburgh service will be delayed this morning.
All other services are running on time.
So not quite on the ball there then if the Highland is caped.

UPDATE: 1S26 on the move again at 0705.
I did wonder for a bit if we were going to be bumped on to a Pendolino as well.

Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
Was on the Inverness portion of the Higlander southbound Friday 9th Feb, which held up By failed northbound Lowlander, I bailed at Preston, onto 06.57 Preston-Euston Pendo, which am typing from right now, one of the advantages of ALR can catch any train.

On Moderation
I wonder if the delayed Lowland has anything to do with it?
87002 reported to have been the replacement loco for 1S26.

As for 1M16 waiting at Preston, does the crew off 1S26 work the southbound Highland back from Preston?

TimboM

Established Member
87002 reported to have been the replacement loco for 1S26.

As for 1M16 waiting at Preston, does the crew off 1S26 work the southbound Highland back from Preston?
Yes to both - 87002 showing allocated to 1S26 and the 1S26 driver from Euston to Preston works 1M16 back from Preston to Euston.

1S26 not at Preston yet, but delay was probably in trying to source a replacement driver for 1M16 (who signs the loco/route/Class 1 passenger services and has had the required rest etc etc)

Last edited:

mrpsb

Saw the tail end leaving over the bridge at Wigan North Western and wondered if I was seeing things, that's quite a delay.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Website now saying:
Service Update:
Saturday 10th February 2018: Our Euston to Glasgow/Edinburgh service, and our Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William to Euston service, will be severely delayed arriving this morning and we apologise for this inconvenience.
All other services are expecting on time arrivals this morning.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Meanwhile at the Euston end 66741 worked the ECS off the lowlander (5M11) due to the normal loco for this (87002) being pressed into service as we know.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Actually, this train is in a bit of a state - no lights or heating in the seated coach, door into the lounge car defective and staff struggling to open it, accessible toilet and the two in the next coach locked out of use, my compartment door jams shut and takes a good dunt to open, alarms going off etc.
Maybe someone should order some new coaches :lol:

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
What caused this? I was on it and was transferred to Virgin Cross Country at Preston.
As per posts above - 90045 burst at Tring on 1S26, requiring 87002 to come from Euston to rescue it (c. 4 hour delay).
The 1S26 driver from Euston takes the train to Preston, then drives 1M16 back to Euston. So at c.04:30 when your driver for the southern section should've been in 92010's cab getting ready to leave he was still stuck in Tring on failed 90045.

GBRf evidently sourced a replacement driver for 1M16 at short-notice, but still resulted in a c.2 hour delay to 1M16 leaving Preston.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Arrived 1213 - 295 late.
A wee birdie tells me that the reason it was still divided at Carstairs was that NetworkRail wouldn’t allow it to run straight to Central undivided at that time of day. Not enough room presumably.

ScottDarg

Arrived 1213 - 295 late.
A wee birdie tells me that the reason it was still divided at Carstairs was that NetworkRail wouldn’t allow it to run straight to Central undivided at that time of day. Not enough room presumably.

Don't think there's any platform at Glasgow Central that can take 2 locos + 16 + ECS loco without causing headaches when pathing other services into and out of the station. It went into P1 in the end, which most definitely can't take load 16 with only 1 loco - nevermind 2.

The 47 didn't do so well on the ECS, started off unusually slow and then ground to a halt just as it passed the signal:
(not my vid)

najaB

Veteran Member
The 47 didn't do so well on the ECS, started off unusually slow and then ground to a halt just as it passed the signa
I'd be surprised if that was too taxing a load for a 47. I wonder if the really slow pull away meant that the AWS/TPWS tripped as the signal seemed to go back on before the loco had fully cleared it.

Status
Not open for further replies.