• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

35B

Established Member
A Mk1 TSO on the back of a postal or newspaper train would make it viable as it was marginal income, I believe. Not possible now.
In July 1992, I used the Scotrail internal overnight services between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness. They'd gone over to 158s, weren't that well loaded, and tipped out at Inverness at silly o'clock in the morning. It didn't come as a surprise to discover they were soon killed off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sciisfun

Just got back from my tour of the UK, did the sleeper to Fort William on the 15th/16th. got a text about 3pm saying that there would be no lounge, normal thing really. stock was late getting onto the platform, so there was a big queue behind us of people who were coming down at the advertised boarding time. leaking shower in the room, and a door that wouldn't lock make for some interesting attempts at a solution to hold it closed from the outside. The missus got off to sleep just after Rugeley, however on the top bunk I was still awake crossing the border, as others have said its surprising how rough the track is, certainly didn't notice it on the train down from New st. The only time I did sleep is when I thought I wouldn't, when everything was being shunted around. Bacon roll came around the same time we found out that there was no hot water in the shower. At least we got into Fort William on time. Just wish Scotrail had some trains running on the Sunday, would have been nice to have not had to get off and wait for the next service back to Glasgow. I think if I do it again I would either pay the extra for a double, or cheap out on a seat if I'm not going to get much sleep. also apologies if anyone finds a head shaped dent in the roof of one of the carriages, may have sat up quite quickly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I misread that at first as thinking she got off the train to sleep. :lol:

If it wasn't for the cold, I'd say she would have slept better at Rugeley! No bouncy MK5s to deal with and a relatively quiet station, which I'd imagine overnight would be almost blissfully quiet. Apart from overnight freights!

That said, the cabins may not be that great and the coaching stock not brilliant, but the bedding... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The whole set was stuck at Stirling, not just the loco. So they were a set short in London last night, so one of the Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness or Fort Bill/Aberdeen was going to be cancelled.
That's exactly what happened; the Inverness ran as 8 cars only from Euston last night with both the other bits cancelled.

sciisfun

I misread that at first as thinking she got off the train to sleep. :lol:
Probably because I added the ‘to sleep’ quickly after proof reading it it sounded like either she had enough at that point, or a slightly more adult reading if your dirty minded like me :E

kylemore

Even if National Express/Megabus are running two coaches each that's what - maybe 100-150 seats? There's about 400 seats in Lumo's 803s so that is a very bit uplift in capacity.
I did suggest running from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to capture both markets.

As suggested by others it would maybe work on a seasonal basis - it would certainly work during the Edinburgh Festival when I remember nights when we had multiple dups ex Edinburgh Bus Station. Mind you that was "Pre Event", so perhaps not now.

I'm surprised the mods are indulging us in this speculation :) .

6Z09

Probably being indulged as things have been quiet this week!
Never mind , a bit of industrial action next week should liven things up

najaB

Veteran Member
I did suggest running from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to capture both markets.
That either takes you up to 800 seats or requires a run from one city to the other before heading south, and the reverse in the morning. That doesn't help with timing.

Bill57p9

That either takes you up to 800 seats or requires a run from one city to the other before heading south, and the reverse in the morning. That doesn't help with timing.
Lumo are a ECML operator so presumably the idea in poster's heads is Glasgow-Edinburgh-Newcastle-Kings Cross, just like CS do (back on topic ;)) when WCML is closed for any reason.

alangla

GNER used to sell decent numbers of through tickets from Glasgow to London IIRC. If the price is right then it'll sell - all it needs is to be around the prevailing (i.e. demand driven) price of Megabus and marginally quicker & more comfortable. I know a few people that have taken VT trains from Glasgow to London via the West Midlands largely because the price has been right vs a Trent Valley train.

If Lumo were feeling bold & particularly if they could get northbound paths on a Thursday/Friday night and southbound paths on a Saturday/Sunday night then they could easily shift hundreds of tickets a week from Edinburgh to London in August.

najaB

Veteran Member
Lumo are a ECML operator so presumably the idea in poster's heads is Glasgow-Edinburgh-Newcastle-Kings Cross, just like CS do (back on topic ;)) when WCML is closed for any reason.
Ah, yes. Right, of course. I withdraw my objection.

MotCO

Established Member
Even if National Express/Megabus are running two coaches each that's what - maybe 100-150 seats? There's about 400 seats in Lumo's 803s so that is a very bit uplift in capacity.

According to Roger French's blog, there is no 'about 400 seats' on Lumo; it has to be 400 seats, such that seats without windows cannot be removed to provide badly needed additional luggage space.

Caleb2010

I’ve noticed that the arrival times on RTT for the highlander at Euston and Inverness (today at least) have been amended to 09:00 & 09:30 respectively!

Yet the previous timing point Camden South Jn and Milburn Jn stay the same!
(Milburn Junction to Inverness 57 minutes & Camden South Junction to Euston in a mere 1h 15 minutes!!)

I wonder if it’s a glitch on RTT or CS are pulling a fast one - as 1M25 arrived 40 early as opposed to 10 Late and 1M16 arrived 2h 01 late as opposed to 3h 14 late!

Merely wondering as I know it makes no difference in a Delay Repay claim because only 1M16 would qualify- and does quite well too!

kylemore

Ah, yes. Right, of course. I withdraw my objection.
And I thought of going from/to Glasgow Queen St since it's now electrified, to offer connections to/from the West Highland - again very much a seasonal traffic. Around 45mins non-stop so something like 2300 ex GLA and 2350/0000 ex EDIN.

philthetube

Established Member
1. Which is why I suggested running at reduced speed to fit in with the overnight intermodals and to save power.

2.It's been a while since I was involved however duplication was not at all uncommon at Edinburgh Bus Station, particularly at weekends and during the summer season generally - perhaps it could be tried on a seasonal basis to test the market.
1. If people were prepared to spend that time sitting the seats on the sleeper would always be full.

2. National express and Mega bus take advance bookings, they know how many passengers they are going to get and if, a few days in advance they think they can get reasonable loadings they will put a dupe on, and another, and another, as required. If they were sending three of four dupes out on these services then there might be a case for a train.

Falcon1200

Established Member
And I thought of going from/to Glasgow Queen St since it's now electrified, to offer connections to/from the West Highland

I would think Glasgow Central would offer more connectional opportunities overall, from both south and (via the Argyle Line) north of the Clyde, plus the option of a stop at Motherwell.

If Lumo were feeling bold & particularly if they could get northbound paths on a Thursday/Friday night and southbound paths on a Saturday/Sunday night

I would suggest both north- and southbound on Friday and Sunday nights, for the greatest traffic potential (and I doubt any overnight path would be available on Saturday night anyway, thanks to engineering work !)

Sm5

1M16 running 2 hours late.
Am enjoying the ride.

The 66/73 were absolutely flying especially on the last part to Haymarket… went to sleep thinking it’s all on time today.

Felt an very large amount of shunting at Edinburgh, more than I’d expect, especially as the Aberdeen portion was in platform. Think we were shunting back and forth in the tunnels at one point given how loud it was… (didn’t look was trying to sleep).

Went to sleep, woke up after Crewe 2 hours late… now just past Rugby.

Telling us on board it’s due to the weather, but I see the other CS services seem to be ok, the lowlander arrived 90 mins early.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Telling us on board it’s due to the weather, but I see the other CS services seem to be ok, the lowlander arrived 90 mins early.
More like 30 minutes - it had an hour in its schedule to do the last two miles.

Bill57p9

1M16 running 2 hours late.
Am enjoying the ride.

The 66/73 were absolutely flying especially on the last part to Haymarket… went to sleep thinking it’s all on time today.

Felt an very large amount of shunting at Edinburgh, more than I’d expect, especially as the Aberdeen portion was in platform. Think we were shunting back and forth in the tunnels at one point given how loud it was… (didn’t look was trying to sleep).

Went to sleep, woke up after Crewe 2 hours late… now just past Rugby.

Looking at RTT you were held on approach to Haymarket and then again before Waverley. The Fort William portion arrived 35 late, whilst the Aberdeen portion didn't run but the empty stock arrived from Polmadie at 0211, 95 minutes later than the Aberdeen portion should have arrived.

The net result was 1M16 leaving Waverley 80 late at 0300. Everything seems to be losing time between Carstairs and Carlisle currently so presumably some speed restrictions due to the weather.

ScotsRail

Aberdeen and FW portions cancelled this morning (s/b FW last night also) due to fall out of traction issues yesterday at Stirling on 1M16.

Stranded coaches were recovered early this morning from Stirling but 73 needs wheel skates to be transferred back to Craigentinny for repair.

Still sitting blocking the line through Platform 3 at 1720 this evening.

Was surprised to see it still there a few days later.

Jessicas Dad

Still sitting blocking the line through Platform 3 at 1720 this evening.

Was surprised to see it still there a few days later.

Reported on scot-rail.co.uk that at least one wheel is severely damaged and skates will need to be used.

To fit them the OHLE will need isolated and so the plan is to do it this evening when there is more time overnight.

Will be interesting to see if they finally manage to recover it tonight.

I suspect it would have been a different story if P6 & 9 weren't available.

Ross

_toommm_

Established Member

Jessicas Dad

Some sort of attempt to rescue the stranded loco at Stirling tonight?

Yep - per scot-rail.co.uk the 73 was successfully put on skates and moved to P8 at Stirling overnight, so this is it being taken onward to Mossend.

Unclear as to whether or not 66733 is still attached to it at Stirling, but I think the original rescue plan was to move it between 2 locos, so guessing it is, and 66706 will be the other one.

If it wasn't so late I'd go out and watch it, but unfortunately I have work tomorrow morning :(

Dan_225

Images taken yesterday prior to move into bay platform.PXL_20211030_163340712.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_162814278.jpg
    PXL_20211030_162814278.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Bill57p9

Looks like the Highlander is cancelled for a couple of nights, plus the up Lowlander tonight.
Also the lowlander appears to be running in the Highlander path Euston - Edinburgh then a portion across to Glasgow.
Does anybody know why? Surely not still fallout from Thursday.

EDIT - cancel that request- I just remembered about the strike action

Jessicas Dad

Looks like the Highlander is cancelled for a couple of nights, plus the up Lowlander tonight.
Also the lowlander appears to be running in the Highlander path Euston - Edinburgh then a portion across to Glasgow.
Does anybody know why? Surely not still fallout from Thursday.
Industrial action by the RMT.

All but the down Lowlander aren't running.

Then tomorrow night all but the up Lowlander aren't running.

See https://www.sleeper.scot/service-alterations/

Ross