• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calling any trainspotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil6219

I think perhaps this illustrates one reason why spotting is not so popular now, aside from social attitudes, and that is the lack of variety across the network. While 20 or 30 years back you could travel the land and find different classes in different regions, all with a bit of noise and clag, now the only 'variety' is whether your humming yank tank comes in red or green :| Passenger stuff is increasingly in the hands of units of one type or another, and even what's left has been toned down you might say; HST's losing their screaming Valenta lumps, 47's turning into 57's, etc.

Humming Yank Tanks also come in Blue, Grey and a nice Orange & Yellow ensemble :p

I agree that there is too little variety these days, along with that there are considerably less freight workings too.

As for me, well I was a spotter when I was younger realistically from 1991 until I lost interest in 2000. I gave up mainly because my interest shifted into aviation but also because my Grandad was not able to come along any more. My interest was rekindled in 2010 thanks to an incident in work where myself and someone else happened to mention the railways. Now I'm back, I shoot video and do hang out at stations (usually Wigan NW), I also volunteer on a preservation railway and really enjoy it.

I had problems when I was younger for my hobby, it was high school and was to be expected really given that out of nearly 700 pupils I was the only one with an interest in the railways. Annoying really considering that I actually was very low key and kept my interest to myself. When my interest sprung back in 2010 I had a few people taking the p*ss but nothing sinister behind it, if anything I started to play along and work it up a bit and announce my intentions for "traction packed" days off. The difference is that aside from the more mature environment with adults I've also bulked up.

I feel bad every day though for loosing my interest when I did, as I missed out on so much during the dying years of proper traction and that even though I was old enough to go further afield on my own I never did and thus I never got as much as I could. Oh for a time machine eh?

I've not really had any problems when out on the station, Wigan NW seems to accommodate enthusiasts and spotters (even the really weird ones) a few funny looks maybe from passengers but nothing bad. I had someone stand in my shot on purpose once (as in platform edge, arms folded looking at me smirking) but I sorted him out (thanks to the bulking up & general look of anger) in time to get my shot of the steamer come through.

Phil 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ng1980

Thats pretty much the same here.
I am a geek and anyone who knows me knows that. So as you said, its not really a surprise for people that I know random stuff.
And the amount of time I tend to spend on trains (I'm in an LDR and I often traveled home from uni to watch football) means people who know me assume I would know a fair bit anyway.
Not a spotter, and don't tend to pay attention to numbers, but keep an interest in what I am travelling on, what is happening etc etc.

* geeky wave to WelshBluebird *

Good to hear from you!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had the **** ripped out of my as a kid, and was bullied regularly in school for being a trainspotter.
Kids caught wind of my Fotopic account and often left derogatory comments. I never spoke about it once in school, but combination of modern search engines and my unique surname never helped. I always remember being slated by my entire geography class as my teacher had pulled up my website and decided to give me a critique on my work - I got up and left.

In some aspects, it makes you a stronger person. My father hated it. He wanted me to join the Army or RAF, or get interested in something more 'manly' - I don't understand that comment, and never have. Engines, wheels, oil and mechanics don't scream 'effeminate', do they?
He never saw my judgement until last year (I'm 22 now). I got so far into a DB Schenker apprenticeship assessment. I received my driving competency, and was nearly offered a job offer. I didn't get it. I failed at the corporate meeting where I had to give a presentation.
Now, I'm about to start a job with Network Rail, earning circa £23,000 - Not shabby for a 22 year old. If I didn't have that initial spark of interest, I'd probably still be on Minimum wage. I don't like to think that I suffered for my success, but I had issues with it - not just with school, but with family.

In the end, it's about sticking to your guns. If you feel you have a genuine interest in something - go for it. The world is your oyster. So what if it's trains/buses/planes - You name it, it all makes part of the bigger picture. I learnt so much between 2005 and 2010 with my interest. I learnt how to get around, be street smart, deal with money, how to use tools and most of all, look after myself.

Hell, if you're Gay/Straight/Bi/Pan/Trans, then you've probably already learnt what I've just said. Stick up for yourself, and don't let anyone drag you down.

Great post, 34Short! Congratulations on all you hae achieved!

Last edited:

Harbon 1

I posted this somewhere else, most enthusiats start out as spotters, but will evolve into other areas of the interest of which there are many. I started out as a spotter, but I had to have my camera with me or I'd get bored. Then in July '11 on my way up to see my dad in Glasgow, I thought, as I was ticking off my numbers in my book "I really can't be arsed with this" since then, I've only written my haulages, take pictures of, and bash trains.

MattRobinson

I'm an enthusiast. Spotter denotes obsessive, geekyness and a 99% chance they are single too.

Enthusiasts great. Spotters - border on nuisance

+1 to that. I went through a period of about 2 months when I wrote down train numbers, but generally, I just enjoy train travel and pretty much anything to do with the railways. Seeing EVERY train on the network doesn't seem that important to me, really. I volunteer on a preserved railway and I really enjoy the time I spend up there, but I've not really told anyone I know outside of railways about it, or explained what I do...

james60059

I use to "spot" years ago, with Nuneaton being my main station (Coventry was good too with the AC electrics and 47's on Cross Country services), but when I caught wind of Fotopic in 2003/04 time and seeing peoples photo's of trains I slowly began to drift from being a "spotter" to a "photter", and this interest really began to take off in 2008 when I got my own wheels and began going lineside photting, whilst I no longer spot as such, I still have a healthy interest in railways and road haulage and in my own personal opinion it's nice to look back on old photo's (such as the 4L46 Ditton - Purfleet intermodal with a pair of DRS 37's on <D or the more venerable Class 60's when they were more widespread or even the older style lorries such as the ERF EC11's :p), of course it is still nice to shoot the routine run-of-the-mill workings too especially if the nice orange ball in the sky plays ball lol :lol: and even an artic looks cracking in sun too :D.

gage75

I trainspot.

I bus spot.

I've also been a school governor, councillor, chaired significant council committees, etc etc

Standing on a platform end/ street corner writing down numbers is how I switch off from rather weightier matters.

If anybody's got a problem with that, that's their problem.

:)

ditto re train/bus :D

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I think I am a bit of both. I do go out to stations and collect numbers but I take pictures and I study a lot about infrastructure of the railways. I don't mind saying I am a spotter but I do get a lot of stick at school and do get called a nerd but I don't mind really.

Tractionman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18817472

Olympic plane-spotting on the BBC - wonder what a BBC report on Olympic train-spotting might say?

I remember once on a 'celebrity' edition of Mastermind on the BBC John Humphreys asking the 'candidate' about their hobby as a railway enthusiast and Humphreys said, "I didn't know you were a trainspotter", to which the reply came, "I'm not a trainspotter - they're just sad individuals who wear anoraks..." (or some such) - so even one of our own - on the BBC, publically, was being disparaging about a harmless and (I think) interesting aspect of our hobby, and reinforcing the stereotype.

cheers,

Keith

GB

Established Member
I'm an enthusiast. Spotter denotes obsessive, geekyness and a 99% chance they are single too.

Enthusiasts great. Spotters - border on nuisance

It's sad when members of our own community see things like that.

HawkeyeTheNoo

It's sad when members of our own community see things like that.

I agree and as for the single statement that's rubbish! The majority of enthusiasts/spotters I know are attached. I for one have been in relationships since I was about 16, currently been married for 20 years and have two children!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I agree and as for the single statement that's rubbish! The majority of enthusiasts/spotters I know are attached. I for one have been in relationships since I was about 16, currently been married for 20 years and have two children!

+1 - have not been a spotter for many years (I did get married as a spotter and had 2 children while a spotter). I am an enthusiast and enjoy reading and writing and observing railway activities. Married with children and grand children.

pitdiver

I have been a Railway enthusiast since about the age of six. However since finding a new partner I have developed a new interest. I like dressing up in Black Rubber, wearing a Mask and doing things in the dark. ;) Always with another person but never in private. More enjoyable when there are more than two. A lot of time we all stand round comparing our Rubber Outfits and discussing what we do in the dark. <( Can anybody guess.

See my user name:lol:

theblackwatch

Established Member
I have been a Railway enthusiast since about the age of six. However since finding a new partner I have developed a new interest. I like dressing up in Black Rubber, wearing a Mask and doing things in the dark. ;) Always with another person but never in private. More enjoyable when there are more than two. A lot of time we all stand round comparing our Rubber Outfits and discussing what we do in the dark. <( Can anybody guess.

See my user name:lol:

I'm sure it's probably just an excuse for dressing up in fetish gear! :lol:

LadyDeltic

Speaking for myself, I've always tended to be quite open about my interests in trainspotting and the railways. In fact, 'I like trains' tends to be one of the first pieces of information you'll get out of me after we get past the formalities of name, age, hometown and occupation. It attracts a certain degree of derision - and often disbelief, due to the fact that my age and sex are both quite at odds with the railfan stereotype - but, over time, I've figured out how to handle it. Usually, I just respond with the 'Oh, so it's socially acceptable to like cars and motorbikes, but not to like trains?' or 'It's fundamentally no different from birdwatching - you don't hear people having a go at birdwatchers, do you?' lines - tends to shut people up pretty quickly!

Still, BestWestern probably makes a valid point regarding variety on the lines, etc. My grandfather, a keen trainspotter in his day, can never understand why I can be bothered spotting the diesel locos, DMUs and EMUs that are common to the network in Scotland today: 'It's not as good as it used to be! These new trains have no character.'

There was also a good point made earlier about how hobbies in general are often frowned upon, especially in this day and age. Apathy, cynicism and wilful ignorance seem to be the order of the day.

SovietGaz

I'm an enthusiast and now a spotter.

I started a job by Llandudno Junction and as long as it isn't raining I look up NR departure board at lunch time and pop out to the old stone bridge and watch 4/5 services arrive and leave the station.

I tell my boss what I'm doing and I don't care what he thinks, he's a petrol head which doesn't bother me.

I love my half hours collecting numbers, It's the little things that make a job.

LE Greys

Established Member
Speaking for myself, I've always tended to be quite open about my interests in trainspotting and the railways. In fact, 'I like trains' tends to be one of the first pieces of information you'll get out of me after we get past the formalities of name, age, hometown and occupation. It attracts a certain degree of derision - and often disbelief, due to the fact that my age and sex are both quite at odds with the railfan stereotype - but, over time, I've figured out how to handle it. Usually, I just respond with the 'Oh, so it's socially acceptable to like cars and motorbikes, but not to like trains?' or 'It's fundamentally no different from birdwatching - you don't hear people having a go at birdwatchers, do you?' lines - tends to shut people up pretty quickly!

Still, BestWestern probably makes a valid point regarding variety on the lines, etc. My grandfather, a keen trainspotter in his day, can never understand why I can be bothered spotting the diesel locos, DMUs and EMUs that are common to the network in Scotland today: 'It's not as good as it used to be! These new trains have no character.'

There was also a good point made earlier about how hobbies in general are often frowned upon, especially in this day and age. Apathy, cynicism and wilful ignorance seem to be the order of the day.

That depends on the birdwatcher. I've always been interested in wildlife and especially wildlife photography. It's very hard, takes ages and often requires crawling around in mud while dressed in full camouflage (making for some interesting comments on the way home) but a lot of fun. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time just wandering round my local patch observing and getting to know the local wildlife there, spending long periods studying and learning about the things I'm watching. That's actual 'birdwatching'.

'Birding' is a bit more like bashing combined with general tourism. You go to different places after particular subjects, which are sometimes very hard to get to, such as Mull for the Eagles, Aviemore for Ptarmigan and Snow Buntings or Skomer for seabirds. Still, that's more an expanded form of birdwatching which involves seeing something more unusual and going to unusual places.

'Twitching' is more like old-style 'gricing'. Twitchers go specifically after rarities, and never spend much time watching the birds, the main aim being to tick them off on a list. They will go from one end of the country to the other to see (say) a Crested Lark or a Golden Oriole. Now, if I hear of one in St Alban's, I might go after it, but chasing over the entire country is a bit mad.

Maybe it's the same thing, but I don't really like being called a twitcher.

I take and collect photos of passenger trains, DMUs and EMUs, if I see a freight or steam train, I'll take a photo, but I don't purposely collect them. I've got all 3 LM class 150s, I hope to get all LM class 170/6s next :)

district

A to the men as that's everything I am too! (got a Preston transport meeting on Tuesday actually)

You're a school governor as well Tez? :o

Most people know that I'm into trains and sometimes am gently teased because of it. But like others it all turns round when people need travel advice or fare information.

I think the teasing from being known as a trainspotter is severely different from bullying on basis of sexual orientation though.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Trainspotting is an example of the collecting fetish which seems common in Britain and elsewhere.

Other examples are twitching, Wainwright/Birkett/Munro/Marilyn/800m peak collecting for the active, ticking off beers for real ale fans, visiting every Travelodge/Wetherspoons/Little Chef, and so on.

All harmless hobbies, which stimulate the mind and other parts.

The reason that hobbieists are derided in the media is commercial. If they are spending money on trainspotting/twitching/other then they are showing dangerous signs of independence from the Jeremy Kyle/Eastenders watching herd, and must be culled by any method possible before others join them, noone watches TV,the advertisers pull out, etc.

That depends on the birdwatcher. I've always been interested in wildlife and especially wildlife photography. It's very hard, takes ages and often requires crawling around in mud while dressed in full camouflage (making for some interesting comments on the way home) but a lot of fun. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time just wandering round my local patch observing and getting to know the local wildlife there, spending long periods studying and learning about the things I'm watching. That's actual 'birdwatching'.

'Birding' is a bit more like bashing combined with general tourism. You go to different places after particular subjects, which are sometimes very hard to get to, such as Mull for the Eagles, Aviemore for Ptarmigan and Snow Buntings or Skomer for seabirds. Still, that's more an expanded form of birdwatching which involves seeing something more unusual and going to unusual places.

'Twitching' is more like old-style 'gricing'. Twitchers go specifically after rarities, and never spend much time watching the birds, the main aim being to tick them off on a list. They will go from one end of the country to the other to see (say) a Crested Lark or a Golden Oriole. Now, if I hear of one in St Alban's, I might go after it, but chasing over the entire country is a bit mad.

Maybe it's the same thing, but I don't really like being called a twitcher.

I have no interest in birds, personally, but a couple of friends are members of RSPB. They too hate the term "twitcher".

BestWestern

Established Member
I have no interest in birds, personally, but a couple of friends are members of RSPB. They too hate the term "twitcher".

My interest in birds tends to make it more pleasing to stroll through the train on a friday or saturday evening ;)

Sorry. Somebody had to say it :D

LadyDeltic

Apologies if my previous post offended any birdwatchers, though I am strongly of the view that there's no shame in being associated with either spotters or twitchers. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.