• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calling any trainspotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicking1306

Most of my family work on the railway and I have passes for the railway and travel alot. Although I don't sit on a platform and train spot I do get the numbers of the trains that I have traveled on!

I find alot of my friends that are not involved with the railway don't get what the interest is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Something that doesn't help the perception of the hobby is the ones who are rather a good fit with the comedy stereotype. Does anyone remember Stoatface?...

Condor7

I used to be a 'spotter' as a young man, but as I have got older I have found I just enjoy railways.

I must admit there are times when I am tempted to start spotting again, but time constraints mean I would have a lot of gaps in my lists.:)
Should my circumstances change, I could easily see myself starting up again, in addition to visiting railway stations, something I never tire of doing.

Funnily enough my love of railways are openly known amongst my friends and family, and I have had perhaps a very small amount of gentle leg pull, but by and large nobody seems to regard it as different to many other hobbies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Hi

I have started a new group in order to support my local station.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/229841590470405/

It seems that many people have an interest in trains, but no one will admit to being a trainspotter. In an age were people are bi and gay; you would have thought people would be more open?
Any trainspotters here?

I used to be. I cleared my locos for the first time round 36 years ago today. July 25th 1976 it was 08663 off Landore and it was on Swansea East dock number 1 target point.

Second time round it was 37043 at Healey Mills in 1978.

BestWestern

Established Member
I used to be. I cleared my locos for the first time round 36 years ago today. July 25th 1976 it was 08663 off Landore and it was on Swansea East dock number 1 target point.

Second time round it was 37043 at Healey Mills in 1978.

I think perhaps this illustrates one reason why spotting is not so popular now, aside from social attitudes, and that is the lack of variety across the network. While 20 or 30 years back you could travel the land and find different classes in different regions, all with a bit of noise and clag, now the only 'variety' is whether your humming yank tank comes in red or green :| Passenger stuff is increasingly in the hands of units of one type or another, and even what's left has been toned down you might say; HST's losing their screaming Valenta lumps, 47's turning into 57's, etc.

There are a few gems out there still, and I suppose you could argue that they become of increasing interest the more bland everything else gets, but I would imagine it's too thin on the ground to maintain the interest for many. It's comforting to know though that the continuing desperation for stock means that we'll have some truly vintage units running around in ten or twenty years time! :D

krisk

I love trains, trams and buses and enjoy the fact I work in the industry. I'm not ashamed of that in the slightest. I love to take unusual routes and travel on infrequent services.

Trainspotters don't help themselves when their is still the anorak and sandwiches brigade. I have also witnessed a guard being approached and asked to see a cab and the person involved wouldn't take no for an answer.

This is where I think spotters and enthusiasts differ as enthuasts are less obsessive.

chuckles1066

I think perhaps this illustrates one reason why spotting is not so popular now, aside from social attitudes, and that is the lack of variety across the network. While 20 or 30 years back you could travel the land and find different classes in different regions, all with a bit of noise and clag, now the only 'variety' is whether your humming yank tank comes in red or green

Indeed.

I once travelled all the way to the Isle Of Wight just to "spot" 05001.

And a day trip excursion to Cleethorpes took us, as a passenger train, through Toton yard.

All those Class 20's in a line just parked up.

And a wander around Stratford shed (accompanied by a friendly member of staff) allowed us to glimpse loads of Class 31's that we'd never ever get to see in Bristol because we only ever saw stuff out of West Country sheds.

And don't get me started on a Deltic at Bristol Parkway........

WelshBluebird

Established Member
My friends all know that I am a geek and I know various things about various geeky topics, so it doesn't really surprise them when I know geeky stuff about the railways. But they don't know that I have occasionally bought certain taboo magazines (Rail, Modern Railways, etc.) or am a member of railforums.co.uk.

Thats pretty much the same here.
I am a geek and anyone who knows me knows that. So as you said, its not really a surprise for people that I know random stuff.
And the amount of time I tend to spend on trains (I'm in an LDR and I often traveled home from uni to watch football) means people who know me assume I would know a fair bit anyway.
Not a spotter, and don't tend to pay attention to numbers, but keep an interest in what I am travelling on, what is happening etc etc.

Pen Mill

I've had 3 innings as a spotter and enjoyed it every time.
1960s,1980s,and last 5 years.
I drifted out in the 60s and 80s when other activities took over but now being retired , I love to get out a couple of times a week when I can.

I love railways in general , travel & spotting and I enjoy model railways too.

My wife tells people with a touch of embarassment but I really don't care what people think.

Windcutter

I've had 3 innings as a spotter and enjoyed it every time.
1960s,1980s,and last 5 years.
I drifted out in the 60s and 80s when other activities took over but now being retired , I love to get out a couple of times a week when I can.

I love railways in general , travel & spotting and I enjoy model railways too.

My wife tells people with a touch of embarassment but I really don't care what people think.

Thats about the same for me only I go back a little earlier the 50s, the big difference to me these days is the age of the groups on the ends of the platforms, was 15 year olds now 60 year olds.

Don't record numbers but love the ambience of the railway, prefer rail enthusiast to spotter.

AlexS

Established Member
Tick most of the boxes, bisexual in a long term relationship railway enthusiast (albeit not a spotter). Well and truly out on both counts which gets quite interesting as work wise I'm a train dispatcher :lol: . Get a bit of the **** taken out of me for both which is fine, I just return it with both barrels, it's part of life. That combined with a fair number of my colleagues both 'on the shop floor' and managers being either closet or open cranks (or gays, ha) makes life at work very enjoyable indeed despite the reputation for being an achilles heel to be an enthusiast working on the railways. If anything it helps because a) I'm sensible enough not to be distracted from my job by my hobby and b) my knowledge of the network/connections etc is extremely strong, so I can quite often help colleagues with passenger enquiries.

It also means the local spotters, of whom there are several, generally get an easy and stress free life platform ending and making videos to their heart's content, provided they don't mess around too much.

VTPreston_Tez

I trainspot.

I bus spot.

I've also been a school governor, councillor, chaired significant council committees, etc etc

Standing on a platform end/ street corner writing down numbers is how I switch off from rather weightier matters.

If anybody's got a problem with that, that's their problem.

:)

A to the men as that's everything I am too! (got a Preston transport meeting on Tuesday actually)

Uzair

I've been over obsessed with trains my whole life.

When I started secondary school, I told people that I was just interested in trains, but always denied I was a train spotter, saying that it was a stupid hobby, as I feared slightly it would compromise my reputation in my year.

However since I turned 16 I have actually become a semi spotter - only record the numbers of a few classes, and LUL S Stock. I've openly told everyone how much trains mean to me and am happy to have so many friends who accept this and like the fact I'm so passionate about them. It's also fun being a human LU journey planner in my year group.

34Short

I had the **** ripped out of my as a kid, and was bullied regularly in school for being a trainspotter.
Kids caught wind of my Fotopic account and often left derogatory comments. I never spoke about it once in school, but combination of modern search engines and my unique surname never helped. I always remember being slated by my entire geography class as my teacher had pulled up my website and decided to give me a critique on my work - I got up and left.

In some aspects, it makes you a stronger person. My father hated it. He wanted me to join the Army or RAF, or get interested in something more 'manly' - I don't understand that comment, and never have. Engines, wheels, oil and mechanics don't scream 'effeminate', do they?
He never saw my judgement until last year (I'm 22 now). I got so far into a DB Schenker apprenticeship assessment. I received my driving competency, and was nearly offered a job offer. I didn't get it. I failed at the corporate meeting where I had to give a presentation.
Now, I'm about to start a job with Network Rail, earning circa £23,000 - Not shabby for a 22 year old. If I didn't have that initial spark of interest, I'd probably still be on Minimum wage. I don't like to think that I suffered for my success, but I had issues with it - not just with school, but with family.

In the end, it's about sticking to your guns. If you feel you have a genuine interest in something - go for it. The world is your oyster. So what if it's trains/buses/planes - You name it, it all makes part of the bigger picture. I learnt so much between 2005 and 2010 with my interest. I learnt how to get around, be street smart, deal with money, how to use tools and most of all, look after myself.

Hell, if you're Gay/Straight/Bi/Pan/Trans, then you've probably already learnt what I've just said. Stick up for yourself, and don't let anyone drag you down.

TheJRB

Established Member
I do spot but that's mainly because I used to do the same with aircraft and also because my grandfather does. That said the main attraction to the railways for me is travelling and photography.

I first became properly interested in trains around a year and a half ago probably because I travelled with my parents from Beckenham to London a couple of times in 2010 because my dad was attending interviews. Then I bought a DSLR camera for Christmas that year. I wanted something to photograph and so went to Ashford station in January 2011. Then my grandfather discovered my interest (which in turn restarted his interest from the days when he used to regularly go out on the railways in the early 1990s) and we started going to Ashford station regularly. Before long we were making trips to London about once a month. By the end of last year, I had cleared the 375s, 395s, 465/9s and 171/7s.

To those who think there isn't a lot of variety anymore, take somewhere like Stratford. You've got 90s, 315s, 317s, 321s, 360s, 378s plus regular Freight on weekdays hauled by 66s, 70s, 86s more 90s and the occasional 59 with 1992TS and 1996TS on the Underground and four variants of DLR stock to boot!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Indeed.

I once travelled all the way to the Isle Of Wight just to "spot" 05001.

QUOTE]

OMG - thanks for the reminder - yes - took the ferry to Ryde and then the train - was it to Sandown or Shanklin at the other end.? I have a photo somewhere - must dig it out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I love trains, trams and buses and enjoy the fact I work in the industry. I'm not ashamed of that in the slightest. I love to take unusual routes and travel on infrequent services.

Trainspotters don't help themselves when their is still the anorak and sandwiches brigade. I have also witnessed a guard being approached and asked to see a cab and the person involved wouldn't take no for an answer.

This is where I think spotters and enthusiasts differ as enthuasts are less obsessive.

AGREED- and in the 1980s all those d--k h--ds who used to wave their arms way out of the windows on the slammer stock with pull down windows -especially behind a class 40.

KA4C

I got so far into a DB Schenker apprenticeship assessment. I received my driving competency, and was nearly offered a job offer. I didn't get it. I failed at the corporate meeting where I had to give a presentation.

You were passed by DBS for train driving before being offered a job?

34Short

You were passed by DBS for train driving before being offered a job?

Correct. It was part of the assessment process. We all sat the driving competency test (including psychometrics, physics, maths and the interview). I passed, with a few other people too.

I wasn't successful, but now I have the driving assessment under my belt. Mentioned it in every trainee driving position and no-one was interested.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Correct. It was part of the assessment process. We all sat the driving competency test (including psychometrics, physics, maths and the interview). I passed, with a few other people too.

I wasn't successful, but now I have the driving assessment under my belt. Mentioned it in every trainee driving position and no-one was interested.

That isn't quite being passed as competent to actually drive a train, interesting thought though! :D

Well done on passing the initial entrance tests, but you'd be looking at another year or so of training before being fully competent to go and play trains ;)

KA4C

OK, you did the driver assessment, you are not, however, driver competent, as you posted

34Short

OK, you did the driver assessment, you are not, however, driver competent, as you posted

Yes. I did the assessment - However it is known as the 'Driver Competency Assessment' - So I am not competent, but somewhere in limbo between the two.

Not that it's useful, I work for NR in Milton Keynes now. Only thing I drive is a fancy office chair :o

KA4C

Yes. I did the assessment - However it is known as the 'Driver Competency Assessment' - So I am not competent, but somewhere in limbo between the two.

It means that you have been assessed as having the ability to be trained to possibly achieve driver competency

es373

I don't particularly have any problems with spotters. They're harmless as it is although I don't really like the ones that think it's their right to photograph the cab im downloading while at SPI.

LE Greys

Established Member
I had the **** ripped out of my as a kid, and was bullied regularly in school for being a trainspotter.
Kids caught wind of my Fotopic account and often left derogatory comments. I never spoke about it once in school, but combination of modern search engines and my unique surname never helped. I always remember being slated by my entire geography class as my teacher had pulled up my website and decided to give me a critique on my work - I got up and left.

Not a nice experience! That's the main reason I tend to use pen names whenever I write something. Officially, I'm trying to build a career in academia, but I also write under two different names, neither of which I was baptised under. I use one of them here, which is why it's an anagram of 'Gresley'. It's a neat way of keeping the various parts of my life in compartments. Somebody might catch on one day, but I'll never officially confirm it.

I don't have a Fotopic account, since they won't allow me to use my pen name for it. I have tried to start a Flickr account, but could never be bothered to keep it up (might one day though).

Temple Meads

Established Member
I don't feel the need to hide my enthusiasm in trains, if friends don't like that, then they won't be my friends. Simple as that.

I've always preferred to just be 100% open about most of my interests.

It probably would be possible to find out my interest by googling my name, as my YouTube channel is the 15th result for my full name, and geographically would probably pin me down, and do I care? No.

For the record, I used to spot, but have since graduated to bashing and photting, I'll still crack out the notepad at somewhere like Clapham Junction though.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I don't really think you can compare being interested in trains with being gay, they're two very different issues :| I don't let people know I like railways because it's just something I prefer people not to know...

I don't think anyone would ever admit to being a trainspotter.;)

krisk

I'm an enthusiast. Spotter denotes obsessive, geekyness and a 99% chance they are single too.

Enthusiasts great. Spotters - border on nuisance

Status
Not open for further replies.