• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Storm Damage / Conwy Valley Flooding 02/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
The provision of displays at every station and halt on the Cambrian and Conwy lines was one of the highlights of Arriva's tenure. I can remember waiting on Minffordd platform during severe disruption with no idea whether the next train was minutes or hours away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The provision of displays at every station and halt on the Cambrian and Conwy lines was one of the highlights of Arriva's tenure. I can remember waiting on Minffordd platform during severe disruption with no idea whether the next train was minutes or hours away.

Indeed. I was pleased to find one at Tonfanau when I used that last year.

tomwills98

Unless I'm mistaken (which I probably am) I think every station on the Wales and Borders network has an electronic screen on the platform.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hmmm... loads of people were grumbling at Northern for providing ticket machines and PIS at little-used stations like Ardwick and Ravensthorpe... but when such things are provided at sleepy Welsh hamlets its a "good thing"?

Seems like a double standard to me.

mmh

Established Member
Hmmm... loads of people were grumbling at Northern for providing ticket machines and PIS at little-used stations like Ardwick and Ravensthorpe... but when such things are provided at sleepy Welsh hamlets its a "good thing"?

Many of these stations are not sleepy hamlets. Ardwick is not a fair comparison. It's surprising it's still open! I hadn't heard of Ravensthorpe but looking at its passenger numbers and location yes of course it should have PIS. All stations should. If they're worth keeping open, it's worth providing decent information at them.

Decent information is more important in a sleepy hamlet. Nobody is going to get stuck for 3 hours at Ardwick due to not knowing their train was cancelled.

Belperpete

Established Member
Not disagreeing about double-standards. However, there is no reason why passengers at little-used stations should suffer a lack of information or inability to buy tickets, and such problems may actually deter people from using such stations. On a line such as the Cambrian, with a two-hourly service, knowing that your next train is cancelled could be quite important. And I am looking forward to TfW providing ticket machines on the Cambrian, as there are currently many journeys that I make where I currently have no way of buying a ticket either before boarding or on the train.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not disagreeing about double-standards. However, there is no reason why passengers at little-used stations should suffer a lack of information or inability to buy tickets, and such problems may actually deter people from using such stations. On a line such as the Cambrian, with a two-hourly service, knowing that your next train is cancelled could be quite important. And I am looking forward to TfW providing ticket machines on the Cambrian, as there are currently many journeys that I make where I currently have no way of buying a ticket either before boarding or on the train.
Don't get me wrong, I think providing real-time information is important- and is worth investing in.

My comment was purely aimed at the difference in response on here between Ardwick and Dolgarrog receiving upgrades.

I'd definitely say that providing information is more important (and a better use of funds) than using card-only ticket machines and a needlessly complicated permit-to-travel scheme as a way of enforcing penalty fares and discouraging "false origin" fraud. But that's going off-topic...
It perhaps hints at differing mindsets in Wales compared to the North of England though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the state of play with the line is at the moment? Has any work been done during the lockdown, or is it being left until that is released?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Does anyone know what the state of play with the line is at the moment? Has any work been done during the lockdown, or is it being left until that is released?
I haven't had reason or excuse to go down that way for the past month, but when I went down there in early March*, I couldn't identify (from the road) where the new washouts were. So while I could find the opportunity for a bike ride to Llanrwst and back, I wouldn't expect to be able to see anything on my travels. Some even-more-local individuals may have some more useful information to offer.

*The portakabins that had been situated near Dolgarrog during the ongoing work form last year were packed up and gone at that time.

GCRS

I've seen a few Network Rail vans on the A470 in the Conwy valley in the last couple of weeks. That suggests that something's going on with the line. All I can say for sure is that someone's replaced the handle on the gate at Glan Conwy in the last couple of weeks, which seems an odd thing to do right now.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I've seen a few Network Rail vans on the A470 in the Conwy valley in the last couple of weeks. That suggests that something's going on with the line. All I can say for sure is that someone's replaced the handle on the gate at Glan Conwy in the last couple of weeks, which seems an odd thing to do right now.
Indeed, hardly a major engineering project replacing a handle on a gate

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW Journey Check says Conwy Valley re-open 0615 May 1st. I think this might be a good guide as it was only updated 2 days ago.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
I drafted the below post yesterday, but it didn't manage to get published, for some reason. (I may have mashed the "preview" button by mistake.)
TFW Journey Check says Conwy Valley re-open 0615 May 1st. I think this might be a good guide as it was only updated 2 days ago.
The cynic in me wonders if this was just a rolling update of "it's still closed, and will remain so until at least the end of April" ...

Either way, given the very limited service along the coast at the moment (two-hourly all stops Holyhead - Crewe via Llandudno), I doubt whether they'd start running anything down to Conwy Valley too.

the sniper

Established Member
Either way, given the very limited service along the coast at the moment (two-hourly all stops Holyhead - Crewe via Llandudno), I doubt whether they'd start running anything down to Conwy Valley too.

I imagine they'll want to run something, at least for train crew route knowledge retention purposes.

Welshman

Established Member
Are they still running the rrbuses down the valley? I can find nothing on rtt at present.
If they are running, are they running to the normal weekday timetable, the Sunday timetable, or the Essential Workers' Timetable?
Perhaps they are too much of a pressure on Llew Jones/Arriva at the present time.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are they still running the rrbuses down the valley? I can find nothing on rtt at present.
If they are running, are they running to the normal weekday timetable, the Sunday timetable, or the Essential Workers' Timetable?
Perhaps they are too much of a pressure on Llew Jones/Arriva at the present time.

Buses are running which should be near enough to the train times. The info is in TFW Journey Check.

At least three round trips by an engineers vehicle through Dolwyddelan today. Maybe it a regular occurrence but I haven't seen anything like this recently.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The latest update for re-opening is 07 September according to TFW Journey Check. This was only processed after I pointed out to TFW yesterday that according to their info it should have re-opened yesterday.:s:s There is a precise time, i.e. 1030, quoted so could be something just plucked out of he sky.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The latest update for re-opening is 07 September according to TFW Journey Check. This was only processed after I pointed out to TFW yesterday that according to their info it should have re-opened yesterday.:s:s There is a precise time, i.e. 1030, quoted so could be something just plucked out of he sky.

Just in time for this year's flooding to close it again <D

davetheguard

Established Member
At least three round trips by an engineers vehicle through Dolwyddelan today. Maybe it a regular occurrence but I haven't seen anything like this recently.

When you say "an engineers' vehicle" do you mean some sort of on-track machine, or just a road van?

Penmorfa

An engineering train has been to Llanrwst today, carrying spoil I believe. Locos were 70802 and 812. Another one booked to run on thursday. Ballast trains later this month planned

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I am reminded of Keynsian economics - to boost the economy , you pay people to dig holes , then ask them to fill them up.

Line re-opens for the Autumn storms then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.