• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you think of any innovative examples of entertainment provided on trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fair point. I don't know how I used to survive without my mp3. And to think I only ended up getting one because a burgler nicked my £20 CD walkman!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Now that is something that I suspect would be both useful and popular. With every socket put a USB charger alongside.

Phone chargers are much lighter and more compact than they used to be as well, and there is a move to a standardised USB charging port on mobiles (I think all Android phones already have this).

cjmillsnun

Established Member
The at seat Audio service on Pendolinos and Voyagers was innovative for its time- but it was very much of its time; when it was introduced personal stereos still weren't that common (be they tape, CD, minidisc or, at the time, early clunky mp3 players). That's why you could buy or even hire (I seem to remember) headphones from the Shop (and trolley), like on aircraft.

The deactivation might have been due to PRS fees and power for wifi- but mainly, its because of the rise of the iPod.

Sorry that just isn't true.

Voyagers were introduced in 2001. Pendolinos in 2002. At the time the Sony Walkman had been around for over 30 years (it was introduced in 1979) and the use of personal stereo systems (be they CD or cassette based) by young and middle aged people was widespread as they were available cheaply (I seem to remember that a cheap cassette based one could be bought for £10 from Argos, Index or Dixons).

Branson tried marketing his trains like aircraft. Including at seat entertainment systems.

The at seat entertainment systems were a flop from the start and must've cost more in PRS fees than they ever generated from sales of the cheapy crappy headphones that were available in the shop.

EDIT. And to answer a later post. You didn't need a weeks worth of music for a train journey, and a set of batteries could easily last a couple of days of heavy use on a cassette based walkman.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Now that is something that I suspect would be both useful and popular. With every socket put a USB charger alongside.

It's certainly something I would find useful
. I'm not an expert but I also wonder whether it might cut down the draw on power from devices rather than everyone plugging in a 3 pin adaptor (one of our electricians would have to confirm or deny).

dooton

Centro added T.V's to class 323's and a small number of 150's in the early 00's. Worked on the 323's and showed skynews/weather etc. Never saw them on , on the 150's. Then London Midland removed them at refurb time!

stuartmoss

Thanks for the replies everyone, this is interesting stuff, I certainly didn't know about disco trains!

Can you think of any more non-UK examples of entertainment on particularly long distance services?

rdwarr

Some trains have these things called "windows" which you can look through and see a world you may not have seen before going by in real time. Looking out of the window is really underrated these days

parkender102

Meanwhile in France... You get DVD and games console hire on the iDTGV trains, and kids' play areas on the longer Intercités.

I have been on Australian trains with cinemas and dancefloors!

Yes, been on the train up to Cairns from Brisbane in the Mid 1990's and remember the Disco Car with bar, music, Disco Lights and strip lighting in the floor - quite hard to maintain balance though, never mind Dance!

American Superliner trains used to give out pamphlets to all passengers giving details of Historic places and other points of Interest on the route which was very interesting.

D1009

Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, this is interesting stuff, I certainly didn't know about disco trains!

Can you think of any more non-UK examples of entertainment on particularly long distance services?
I've been on charter trains in Germany where a disco bar car has been provided. Not sure whether this is a common practice across Europe.

High Dyke

Established Member
Some trains have these things called "windows" which you can look through and see a world you may not have seen before going by in real time. Looking out of the window is really underrated these days
LOL... ;) You're talking my kind of view.

Not wanting to go offtopic, but just used Icelandair for flights to Iceland and back. Their 737s have small screens in the seat backs (depending on the seating configuration) that can show a range of films, tv shows, promo stuff or play music.

Something that could be installed on IEP, or even consider retro-fitting on Pendelinos?

D1009

Established Member
LOL... ;) You're talking my kind of view.

Not wanting to go offtopic, but just used Icelandair for flights to Iceland and back. Their 737s have small screens in the seat backs (depending on the seating configuration) that can show a range of films, tv shows, promo stuff or play music.

Something that could be installed on IEP, or even consider retro-fitting on Pendelinos?
Erm, already has been on FGW HSTs, see posts at the start of the thread.

Chris M

Not exactly long distance, but the Bodmin and Wenford railway do (or did when I was last down that way a few years ago) jazz evenings with an on-board band.

I also had an enjoyable Central Line journey one evening when a folk band entertained the carriage from Holborn to about Leyton.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Unlessyou get stuck next to a pillar of course :lol:

I unfortunately haven't seen this with my own eyes, but it appears RENFE have had some art exhibitions on trains in Spain. - have seen it on their official videos on Youtube.
Here is one on the Cercanías trains (commuter trains) about the 'journey of rice' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hrlhaOaMY
Another is a cycling photography exhibition from the year when RENFE was a principal sponsor of the Vuelta Espana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF4Ut0seuQ this one seems to be on the 'Media Distancia' intercity trains.
I have also seen a video with an aeroplane style tv system (the old one, not the seat backs) on AVE trains but can't find the videos about that right now.
If you need any help with the Spanish (if this form of entertainment interests you) give me a shout.

parkender102

I unfortunately haven't seen this with my own eyes, but it appears RENFE have had some art exhibitions on trains in Spain. - have seen it on their official videos on Youtube.
Here is one on the Cercanías trains (commuter trains) about the 'journey of rice' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hrlhaOaMY
Another is a cycling photography exhibition from the year when RENFE was a principal sponsor of the Vuelta Espana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF4Ut0seuQ this one seems to be on the 'Media Distancia' intercity trains.
I have also seen a video with an aeroplane style tv system (the old one, not the seat backs) on AVE trains but can't find the videos about that right now.
If you need any help with the Spanish (if this form of entertainment interests you) give me a shout.

I remember a couple of years ago taking the Trans Med from Barcelona to Alicante and that had TV's (2 per carriage ceiling mounted) showing films - free headphones supplied to listen to the sound but in Spanish only. I've just spent 6 months working in Cadiz and was impressed with the puntuality and cleanliness of the Spanish Rail system - both Cercanias (Commuter) trains, Media Distancia and AVE/AVIA Long Distance.

luke_oliver

Or it's night time and dark outside.

Be3G

Established Member
Even then I find it's enjoyable to gaze out of the window listening to some music. I once experimented by taking my iPad (loaded with a few things to watch) on a return day trip from London to Nottingham… but I ended up much preferring to just enjoy the view from the window after all.

6Gman

Established Member

I believe the vehicle was numbered 2990 - no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

As a variation on "looking out of the window" I remember travelling on an Observation Coach to Mallaig (or was it Kyle?) in the early 1960s. An attendant was provided to supply (very) light refreshments, and to point out places of interest.

dvboy

Established Member
Centro added T.V's to class 323's and a small number of 150's in the early 00's. Worked on the 323's and showed skynews/weather etc. Never saw them on , on the 150's. Then London Midland removed them at refurb time!

Ah yes i remember these only updated on weekday mornings so a joy to watch on a sunday night :roll:

VTPreston_Tez

I've seen information TVs on local Barcelona services on RENFE (I notice there are two types of train at least on the L1) and on ICE-3 trains (although the entertainment on that is looking forward out of the train :p)

IanD

Established Member
I travelled from Perpignan to Newcastle by train in the mid 80s and on the leg from Toulouse to Paris St Lazare there was a carriage on the train in which they showed films.

12CSVT

Established Member

Unfortunately the windows on class 390s are so small you can hardly see out of them. For this reason I'd rather travel on a 350 unit if I'm on the southern section of the WCML (even if journey times are far longer).

BuhSnarf

The speed personal stereos went from being clunky, battery eating monsters with awkward storage media to slick, small, ubiquitous devices- and now mainly phones- that can store several weeks worth of music is really quite staggering

Whilst I agree that mp3 players have come a long way. Battery life is not one of them! My walkman from that age could easily last a month on a set of aa batteries (that if died could be easily replaced at WHS) and each tape would last a good hour or so!

Tech has come a long way but actual useable battery time has actually dropped. My lovely all singing all dancing droid phone has to be charged once or twice a day due to all the things it can now do.

I don't think evolution of personal players killed the virgin at seat audio. I think it was already well evolved and the poor choice of music, unreliability of it when I used it and general lack or promotion killed it.

Sometimes now while travelling I'd kill for a bit of radio 2/4 or even a bit of radio 1 depending who's on. One thing missing from my all singing and dancing mp3 player is a plain old radio.

They should provide dab style choice through at seat - I'd go for that!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Starmill

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the windows on class 390s are so small you can hardly see out of them. For this reason I'd rather travel on a 350 unit if I'm on the southern section of the WCML (even if journey times are far longer).

I quite agree - making the southbound trip on a 350 affords much better views than the Pendo, and doesn't even take that much longer now they go faster. Indeed, speed is the only loss. I think that train views do look better the faster the train is going.

Just make sure you get on before Stafford, or you'll be standing all the way!

LE Greys

Established Member
I also wish they'd do something about long wave interference. I often take my trusty pocket radio with me and listen to Test Match Special in the summer, but it tends not to work around diesel engines, OHLE or live rails. On steam lines, I'm a regular source of information about what's currently happening at Lord's/Headingly/The Oval/etc.

umontu

During November 2010 Northern Rail hosted the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival on a service between Huddersfield and Stalybridge. That was fairly interesting as I had to announce where the train was stopping (during the performance!) and prevent ordinary passengers from boarding the festival unit.

Andrewlong

I download some BBC programmes onto my iplayer app on my iPad night before and then watch them on my hour plus journey on SWT. Free wifi would be great but unlike chiltern railways - SWT have enough problems providing enough seats in the rush hour let alone luxuries like wifi!

Status
Not open for further replies.