• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cannot collect tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Hi

I purchased a ticket via my journey online via East Midlands Trains website

It said it would be ready for collection within fifteen minutes but it's been half an hour and the machine won't accept my code.

I need to travel on the 0056 which is the last train this evening but there are no staff around with it being so late.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

Hi

It said it would be ready for collection within fifteen minutes but it's been half an hour and the machine won't accept my code.

I need to travel on the 0056 which is the last train this evening but there are no staff around with it being so late.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Bit late now... :lol:.

Find a decent hotel nearby and get one of the first trains back.

gray1404

Established Member
Sorry I have only just seen this. In those circumstances you would need to buy a new ticket and then complain to EMT about having to buy a new ticket and I'd expect them to refund the second one. Option 2, complain to your bank and dispute the payment you made on EMT website that you did not receive the service you paid for. Option 3, explain to the guard and show them your booking confirmation. They may let you onto the train still and give you permission to travel.

If it says "ready in 15 minutes", then it should mean just that.

I'm sure we can get you get this sorted and deal with the issue of any additional expenses. What happened in the end?

Last edited:

lyesbkz

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't too hopeful for a response in the 15 minutes I had anyway, just posting to see what others would have done.

A dispatcher appeared not long after I posted, I asked and was told to just board the train with the booking reference and explain and I wouldn't have any problems. He didn't seem to believe that the website said I could collect within 15 minutes.

I took some pictures of the ticket machine displaying the error that my collection reference could not be found and, not wanting to have to buy more tickets and go through a lengthy and dubious refund process, boarded the train with my booking confirmation and the photos. I sought out the guard and explained what had happened and fortunately discretion was used and I was allowed to travel.

I'm planning to drop East Midlands Trains an email as I do agree it seems a bit unfair to say tickets can be collected within 15 minutes when they can't. The guard believed it had to do with it being just after midnight.

gray1404

Established Member
Really glad that you were able to travel without additional expense. That is a point actually that the systems might have been updating overnight given they use thetrainline.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Use a WebTIS supported website next time. Tickets should become ready for collection almost immediately.

TTL-supported websites can fail to meet their targets. Once I had to wait two and a half hours on a Sunday and the ticket was still not available.

fandroid

Established Member
It's a bit of a salutary story. My habit now is to enter the collection code on my phone and retrieve tickets using just that and a credit card. I just about never print out the booking confirmation. I do use a webtis site (FGW, which states 1 hour for collection). I suspect my normal reaction if this happened to me would be to photo the TVM screen, just buy enough tickets from the TVM to get to my next destination and then claim back from FGW (they have been fairly good in the past).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No need to print the booking confirmation but I do keep the confirmation email in the inbox on my phone until I've collected my tickets.

gray1404

Established Member
Just to check these tickets were only for a single journey? i.e. there is no return leg to be made under the same reservation code.

Have you been back to a station TVM to see if the tickets will now print (not that you will need them).

I am assuming that as you booked via EMT it would issue a different collection ref. per ticket.

lyesbkz

I just about never print out the booking confirmation.

No, and I can't access that email account via my phone. I visited the mobile version of the East Midlands Trains website and opened the booking.

Just to check these tickets were only for a single journey? i.e. there is no return leg to be made under the same reservation code.

It was a Day Return, I collected the tickets later on that day and used the return portion.

Olympian

Hi

Any ideas?

Cheers
Slightly puzzled about this as, according to the East Midlands Trains website FAQs HERE, you need to wait 2 hours before collection at a station. Where exactly did it state 15 minutes?

najaB

Veteran Member
Slightly puzzled about this as, according to the East Midlands Trains website FAQs HERE, you need to wait 2 hours before collection at a station. Where exactly did it state 15 minutes?
2 hours seems a bit excessive, most TTL-powered sites recommend 30 minutes.

Olympian

2 hours seems a bit excessive, most TTL-powered sites recommend 30 minutes.
Agreed, hence I never use them, but if that's what East Midlands Trains say then it's no good anyone complaining if they're not available to collect after 15 or 30 minutes. Of course if another part of their booking process said otherwise, or the OP has a confirmation email saying to allow only 15 minutes, then it's a completely different matter...

postye

Agreed, hence I never use them, but if that's what East Midlands Trains say then it's no good anyone complaining if they're not available to collect after 15 or 30 minutes. Of course if another part of their booking process said otherwise, or the OP has a confirmation email saying to allow only 15 minutes, then it's a completely different matter...

Last time I booked with EMT the confirmation email stated tickets would be ready to pick up from any self service machine in 15 mins.

lyesbkz

I guess they haven't updated their FAQ recently. My confirmation email states:

Journey Information
Getting your tickets: Self-Service Ticket Machine
Collection reference: [removed]
Tickets will be available to pick-up from a self-service ticket machine at any one of 1000 UK stations 15 minute(s) after booking.
When you go to collect your tickets you will need:
• Your collection reference: [removed]
• Any debit or credit card in order to activate the machine. This card will not be charged.
You must have both of the above to be able to collect your tickets.

Also, on the 'Select a delivery option' page when booking:

Self-service ticket machine
Tickets will be ready for collection 15 minute(s) after booking.You will need your collection reference number and any valid debit/credit card to collect your tickets. (for ID only, it will not be charged).

On a side note, I didn't realise East Midlands Trains allow you to use any card to collect your tickets now.

...or the OP has a confirmation email saying to allow only 15 minutes, then it's a completely different matter...

EMT does indeed now make the 15 minute claim on their confirming emails:

"Tickets will be available to pick-up from a self-service ticket machine at any one of 1000 UK stations 15 minute(s) after booking."

Status
Not open for further replies.