• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car registration plate near the track at Redhill: worrying photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I took this at Redhill yesterday. The registration plate had been there for a couple of days. It is sitting on the up through road. The question is, did it drop off a train and, if so, how did it come to be there? I'm sure there's an innocent explanation (e.g. thrown from platform) but the mind does tend to wander to a level crossing meeting!

Attachments

• IMG_1376a.jpg
    IMG_1376a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,083
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Dude, where's my car...
Dude_Wheres_My_Car_movie.jpg
:lol:

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
I saw a half eaten burger in the 4ft yesterday at the stow - how did that get there? Hope it wasnt someone coming into contact with a train and no mention of it anywhere.

NSEFAN

Established Member
BestWestern said:
I believe there is a disclaimer which requires you to acknowledge that you have permission to access the data, though?
Eh? How does that work? Either the data is publishable or it's not. If it's not something that the world should be able to see then it shouldn't be published in the first place.

Clip

Established Member
Eh? How does that work? Either the data is publishable or it's not. If it's not something that the world should be able to see then it shouldn't be published in the first place.

Thats was my thinking or else how would you do a hpi check off the reg only

BestWestern

Established Member

For the insurance (MIB) database check:

Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement
I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.
I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.

I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

No such restriction is given for a tax or MOT enquiry, however.

Last edited:
Oh for crying out loud, only this fourm could produce such ridiculous answers to a thread.

A member asks a genuine question about a registration plate and others question whether it's legal to look up the details on a publicly available government website.

As for the original photo. It's litter, there's loads of it on the rail network.

BestWestern

Established Member
Oh for crying out loud, only this fourm could produce such ridiculous answers to a thread.

A member asks a genuine question about a registration plate and others question whether it's legal to look up the details on a publicly available government website.

As for the original photo. It's litter, there's loads of it on the rail network.

The publicly available government website handily tells you precisely whether it's legal, or not. Simply answering a question from up-thread.

For the insurance (MIB) database check:

Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement
I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.
I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.

I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

No such restriction is given for a tax or MOT enquiry, however.

An MIB check provides details on the persons insured ie; personal details so comes under the data protection act. The DVLA check as mentioned above provides general info and DOES NOT disclose personal details.

Zoidberg

Established Member
An MIB check provides details on the persons insured ie; personal details so comes under the data protection act. The DVLA check as mentioned above provides general info and DOES NOT disclose personal details.

The publicly available functionality of the MIB tells one only whether or not that a vehicle is on the database and insured.

See http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.asp

One has to check a tickbox for

as mentioned in post #12

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
to return to the OP could it have fallen off the car (I've seen detatched plates from cars before)) then blown about by the wind/slipstream from other road vehicles, onto the railway

Or someone picked it up and threw it onto the tracks?

Deepgreen

Established Member
to return to the OP could it have fallen off the car (I've seen detatched plates from cars before)) then blown about by the wind/slipstream from other road vehicles, onto the railway

It's a very long way from any possible road access for it to have been wind-blown. The latter is the most likely explanation.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
The most remarkable thing I've seen on the track was an uncooked, plucked turkey in the six-foot between the through lines at Richmond station. It wasn't even near Christmas.

route:oxford

Established Member

I used to have a collection of them.

My first car, a Mini-Metro, had a towbar (the original owner used to tow their mobility scooter in a trailer).

Around once a fortnight I'd leave my office in a touristy town in the evening and find a number-plate sitting on or around my towbar.

delt1c

Established Member
If the OP has concerns , why not inform the police.

axlecounter

I suspect that railway workers that have to walk along the lines would say that this is the least weird object they've seen on tracks...

najaB

Veteran Member
The most remarkable thing I've seen on the track was an uncooked, plucked turkey in the six-foot between the through lines at Richmond station. It wasn't even near Christmas.
Either someone was doing impromptu impact resistance training, or a turkey wandered onto the tracks and got hit so hard it knocked the feathers and giblets out!

Paul180

Well at Ash Vale the other week I saw a bra on the line and a belt lobed over the fence if I look harder I might have sean more clothing around And if I read the local rag there might have been a story about people in the buff running about the village. :lol:

341o2

Established Member

Usualy a pheasant.If plucked, must have been left by a ....

Clip

Established Member

I remember when I first started on pway we seemed to find a half foot which had been carried some way from the accident some days later. Was an experience.

trainmania100

Established Member
After looking up a reg check on said gov link, it says:

Please join the NHS Organ Donor Register.

If you needed an organ transplant would you have one? If so please help others.

How strange

Clip

Established Member
AskMID only shows whether the car is insured or not without actually giving any details, so I have no issue with it.

No one really does because if it was a prblem they would ask for more info rather than just a reg but that doesnt suit the outraged on here

Status
Not open for further replies.