• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmarthen to Aberystwyth Reopening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Good questions. The trackbed through Caernarfon is currently occupied by the Welsh Highland Railway, so a parkway-type station might be needed on the edge of town on an alternative route. Either that or kick the WHR out which won't be happening, fortunately.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Coming into the town from Bangor you've got a supermarket / car parks and redevelopment around Victoria Dock. The tunnel under the town is now a road. Only then, on the Afon Wen side does the WHR intrude.

Bangor - Caernarfon wouldn't affect the WHR at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
I am sure there are many time windows when these truck convoys are not seen on the A55, where anyone with a modicum of sense can avail themselves of the timing period of these convoys.

True. The convoys only really exist eastbound, when they all get off the ferry together. Ignoring the Jonathan Swift (which doesn't carry much in the way of freight, IIRC), there are four convoys a day. Those at midday and midnight are probably the worst, as two ferries (Irish Ferries and Stena) arrive at Holyhead more or less together.

As it's dual carriageway all the way from Holyhead to Chester, there's ample opportunity to pass any slow lorries. It's not like the bad ol' days of crossing Anglesey on the single carriageway A5 with hardly a chance to overtake, let alone of having to drive through Conwy town rather than speeding through the Conwy tunnel.

Harbornite

Established Member
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Coming into the town from Bangor you've got a supermarket / car parks and redevelopment around Victoria Dock. The tunnel under the town is now a road. Only then, on the Afon Wen side does the WHR intrude.

Bangor - Caernarfon wouldn't affect the WHR at all.

I had a feeling it was but I didn't mention it. Space for a parkway could be found to the north of the town, but this would compromise the chances of getting Caernarfon- Afonwen reopened.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The benefits of opening Aber - Camarthen is not just to those within its immediate vicinity It will also benefit large parts of Montgomeryshire & Gwynedd who wish to travel to Swansea (which is the main reason I and many would like this line built) and Pembrokeshire. the Bus services are not adequate certainly beyond Camarthen how many communities does the Bus serve to connect you with a Paddington Train?and.
If it's run at a reasonable speed it could even be beneficial to passengers at Shrewsbury if it is quicker journey than going via Cardiff. If nobody sees a point in re-opening this line then the same thing could be said about keeping the Heart Of Wales that serves a similar purpose. Wouldn't Buses be better than the Train along it's route?

If Carmarthen to Aberystwyth was still open, I'd be arguing and campaigning hard against any threat of closure. The fact is that it did close, and this is a massive financial barrier to the reinstatement of such a line.

I'm not sure exactly how much demand there is to travel to Swansea from Montgomery or Gwynedd, but I would question firstly whether it's enough to warrant the expense of reinstatement, and secondly whether it would be quicker to travel from somewhere like Welshpool or Newtown to Swansea via Abeystwyth at all.

There is more justification for accessing Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire, but Swansea itself isn't much of a pull these days when it comes to shopping and employment. It's sadly lagging way behind Cardiff in those stakes.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Only a through route from Bangor to Porthmadog would make sense. Bangor to Canaerfon I would imagine has little business case. I could be wrong though!
I've read in the past (on this forum if I recall correctly) that Arriva Trains Wales proposed re-openning Bangor-Caernarfon in the early stages of bidding for the current franchise. So Arriva must have thought there was a decent case for doing it, and we could have had it by now if the powers-that-be hadn't then decided Wales & Borders would be a no-growth franchise. In my opinion, given that comment about ATW and assuming the next franchise is at least 7yrs long I really think the new franchise should include Bangor-Caernarfon re-openning.

I don't agree that South Wales has the monopoly on short, viable, potential re-openings. Bangor-Caernarfon and Bangor-Llangefni both qualify in my book.
I don't understand all the talk about re-openning Bangor-Llangefni, I can't see why you would do that and not continue all the way to Amlwch. Since there is mothballed track still in place the reinstatement costs per mile must be much lower than a route that has been ripped-up and sold-off, so the extra cost of going all the way would be easier to justify with another 2-4 stations to put much more of Anglesey close to a station.

Bangor-Caernarfon is the most obvious re-openning though I think.

But Caernarfon already has an established rail attraction that caters for the tourists.
I think he's suggesting a means of getting them there by other means than private car rather than providing a nice ride into the mountains once they've arrived.
Getting tourists there by public transport would be great. That makes me wonder, though, how many of the visitors to this part of north Wales will want to go up Snowdon. I still think Bangor-Caernarfon should be the first phase, but will tourists leave their car at home for a bus from Caernarfon to Llanberis? Apart from a few 'static' caravans, which presumably can be moved, it doesn't look like there is much in the way of the old railway from Caernarfon until you reach Llyn Padarn. From there, the Llanberis Lake Railway is in the way. Is there enough tourisim to Llanberis to justify a rail link? And would it be worth losing the Llanberis Lake Railway, or is the formation wide enough for both?

In Caernarfon ... a branch from Bangor ...

A service on the branch could extend beyond Bangor picking up the local calls further along the coast, more useful for more people than those trains crossing over the Menai to Anglesey.
Interesting idea. The service pattern I have in mind for the north Wales coast is something like this:
  • 0.5tph Llandudno - Holyhead all stations
  • 1tph Chester* - Holyhead calling at Fflint, Rhyl, Llandudno Junc. and Bangor
  • 1tph Chester* - Caernarfon calling at Fflint, Prestatyn, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junc., Bangor and Y Felinheli, with additional calls at Conwy and Shotton in some hours
  • 1tph Chester* - Llandudno calling at all stations (except perhaps Deganwy, which would be served by the Llandudno-Holyhead and Conwy valley trains, in some hours) off-peak (possibly ommitting Abergelle & Pensarn and Shotton in the peaks as these would be served by the following)
  • Peak-extra Manchester-Llandudno all-stations (an extension of the Manchester-Chester service which will be a Northern Connect off-peak and only run by Wales & Borders in the peaks).
* Services marked as coming from Chester run through to/from Manchester, Birmingham (via Crewe) or Liverpool, except for three per day each-way on the Holyhead service which would run to/from Cardiff (calling at Wrexham General, Shrewsbury and Newport only). What pairings does anyone think would be optimal? Holyhead-Manchester? Liverpool-Caernarfon? Birmingham-Caernarfon? Liverpool-Llandudno?

A recast North Wales timetable might include an hourly Llandudno-Caernarfon (connecting off a Manchester - Llandudno at the Junction perhaps). By picking up the Conwy, Pen and Ll'fechan stops this could allow the Holyhead trains to be speeded up?
One reason I have the Llandudno-Bangor stopper continuing to Holyhead rather than Caernarfon is that something is needed to serve the request stops on Anglesey, whereas the Caernarfon branch would presumably only have two stations which would be served by all services on the branch, with no need for a mix of fast and slow services.

The benefits of opening Aber - Camarthen is not just to those within its immediate vicinity It will also benefit large parts of Montgomeryshire & Gwynedd who wish to travel to Swansea (which is the main reason I and many would like this line built) and Pembrokeshire. the Bus services are not adequate certainly beyond Camarthen how many communities does the Bus serve to connect you with a Paddington Train?and.
If it's run at a reasonable speed it could even be beneficial to passengers at Shrewsbury if it is quicker journey than going via Cardiff.
I don't see how Gwynedd comes into it. At best Porthmadog to Swansea via Carmarthen would require a change of train at Dovey Junction, and possibly one at Aberystwyth as well (a Birmingham to Cardiff service via Aberystwyth and Carmarthen might be possible, but could be quite confusing to passengers boarding at Birmingham and Shrewsbury).

As I've already posted, there is absolutely no point reopening Carmarthen-Aberystwyth along the former alignment, it would simply be too slow to be competitive. IF you could build it to do Aberystwyth-Carmarthen in 1hr 20min or less AND upgrade Carmarthen-Cardiff to do it in 70 minutes (calling at only Llanelli, a new Morriston Parkway station and Port Talbot Parkway) then Aberystwyth to Paddington with one change could perhaps be done in a similar time to Aberystwyth-Euston (changing at Birmingham) and Aberystwyth to south-west England might even be quicker than via Shrewsbury. But that's a tall order, I wonder how much you'd have to add to the 700 odd million to get CMN-AYW down to 1hr 20? I'd like to see the Welsh Government make a real effort with TrawsCymru (not just white and green paint and a few stickers on the same old service) and see what can be acheived with buses before deciding whether a railway is really needed. A bus will never do it in 1hr 20mins, but if the train is going to be slower than driving anyway does it matter that the bus is slower than a train?

If nobody sees a point in re-opening this line then the same thing could be said about keeping the Heart Of Wales that serves a similar purpose. Wouldn't Buses be better than the Train along it's route?
For the kind of service provided at the moment, a bus might be more suitable than a train for the Heart Of Wales Line (HOWL). One thing about the HOWL though is that it is politically very difficult to cut a train service, sadly the same is apparently not true of buses (if the HOWL service had been replaced by buses in the Beeching era, I doubt the buses would have survived to this day). That needs to change, we need our buses. Personally though, I think the HOWL has a fair bit of potential if some limited-stop services were added to the timetable alongside the current services.

Good questions. The trackbed through Caernarfon is currently occupied by the Welsh Highland Railway, so a parkway-type station might be needed on the edge of town on an alternative route. Either that or kick the WHR out which won't be happening, fortunately.
The WHR already has a flat-crossing with the Cambrian Coast Line, which presumably requires interlocking with Network Rail signalling. Couldn't the same could be done at Caernarfon to allow a mixed-guage route (with the WHR tracks sitting between standard guage rails)?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If the HoW Line had been closed, it would be just as difficult to justify it's reopening now as Aberystwyth to Carmarthen is.

The crucial difference can't be avoided; one route has closed and the other hasn't.

Another large difference is that Shrewsbury has far more connection opportunities than Aber, as does Swansea compared to Carmarthen.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Swansea itself isn't much of a pull these days when it comes to shopping and employment. It's sadly lagging way behind Cardiff in those stakes.
Shrewsbury has far more connection opportunities than Aber, as does Swansea compared to Carmarthen.
These two points are presumably why TrawsLinkCymru's proposals weren't for a shuttle service between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen, but for through trains to Cardiff which don't stop at Swansea, although they now appear to have removed these details from their website.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know to be honest. Swansea still provides employment and shopping opportunities within it's catchment area, which I would have thought extends to Ferryside at least in railway terms. There certainly used to commuters from there when I was travelling on a daily basis from Llanelli to Swansea.

I'd say that from Llanelli eastwards Cardiff becomes much more attractive as a destination. Perhaps with faster trains from Carmarthen the catchment area could be extended.

However, I still don't see that this would all help to make a Carmarthen to Aberystwyth reopening any more viable.

GarethJohn

If Carmarthen to Aberystwyth was still open, I'd be arguing and campaigning hard against any threat of closure. The fact is that it did close, and this is a massive financial barrier to the reinstatement of such a line.

I'm not sure exactly how much demand there is to travel to Swansea from Montgomery or Gwynedd, but I would question firstly whether it's enough to warrant the expense of reinstatement, and secondly whether it would be quicker to travel from somewhere like Welshpool or Newtown to Swansea via Abeystwyth at all.

There is more justification for accessing Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire, but Swansea itself isn't much of a pull these days when it comes to shopping and employment. It's sadly lagging way behind Cardiff in those stakes.

There is a lot of travel between North West Wales, Mid Wales and Dyfed onto Swansea & Cardif, Students regularly travel from Bangor to Swansea on the Traws Cambria routes which connects all of Wales' Universities where the need is increasing the more devolved we become, this is without their being adequate Transport choices. A good service will attract more.
What people are getting distracted by is they believe that a new line will be like it was then and will operate similarly to what the rural lines in Wales are today. The HOW line is not what a new Aber-Cam line will be like. A new route wouldn't need to follow the old line and with today's technology why can't we buiid & run similarly to the Small rural European lines with quick & efficient technology? We can build where they couldn't go before given allowing a straighter, faster line which will allow travellers the chance to get to South Wales from West Wales on the same day without driving.
I use Swansea as an example as even though it's only 80 miles from Aber you will struggle to go and watch a Football Match and return the same day if you use Public transport.
In West Wales patients are increasingly expected to travel to Camarthen & Swansea, Bronglais covers Barmouth a train is far more acceptable than a Bus to attend, especially as Patient transport gets cut & driving is not possible.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There is a lot of travel between North West Wales, Mid Wales and Dyfed onto Swansea & Cardif, Students regularly travel from Bangor to Swansea on the Traws Cambria routes which connects all of Wales' Universities where the need is increasing the more devolved we become, this is without their being adequate Transport choices. A good service will attract more.

No doubt there is some business, but I would have thought that if it's currently being handled by TrawsCambria without any apparent problems, then the first thing to do would be to look at improving that service to attract more users rather than reinstate a defunct railway line.

Would travelling by rail all the way from Bangor be any quicker than what is currently available, either by coach or by going 'the long way round' to destinations east of Swansea?

What people are getting distracted by is they believe that a new line will be like it was then and will operate similarly to what the rural lines in Wales are today. The HOW line is not what a new Aber-Cam line will be like. A new route wouldn't need to follow the old line and with today's technology why can't we buiid & run similarly to the Small rural European lines with quick & efficient technology? We can build where they couldn't go before given allowing a straighter, faster line which will allow travellers the chance to get to South Wales from West Wales on the same day without driving.

It's all about money, though, and it's likely to be that way for the foreseeable future. How much is all of this going to cost, and how many people will benefit and in what way from the investment?

Can we spend the same money in ways that will benefit more people?

These, along with those I mentioned earlier, are the essential questions that have to be asked, and I'm afraid that the answers appear to undermine the feasibility of reopening this line. And that's being polite!

I use Swansea as an example as even though it's only 80 miles from Aber you will struggle to go and watch a Football Match and return the same day if you use Public transport.

Again we come back to actual numbers and money.

In West Wales patients are increasingly expected to travel to Camarthen & Swansea, Bronglais covers Barmouth a train is far more acceptable than a Bus to attend, especially as Patient transport gets cut & driving is not possible.

Unfortunately, given that the railway is no longer regarded as a public service, and hasn't been for quite a long time, it will be said that it is not in the business of ensuring patients can get to a hospital. That's a matter for the patient and the NHS!

Although actually I do agree that rail should play it's part in such things. It's just that it all comes down to money, and who is prepared to pay the costs involved. The NHS, councils, and many patients are all struggling for money in one way or another.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
"In my opinion, given that comment about ATW and assuming the next franchise is at least 7yrs long"
https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/search/show/Search_View.aspx?id=JUL144353
The Invitation to Tender for the franchise issued yesterday mentions a 180 month franchise

I don't really understand this.
The detailed tender documents are only visible to the bidders.
I'm not really clear if this amounts to a competition for the Wales & Borders rail franchise.
It seems to be a management contract for the whole rail transport portfolio (including Metro development).
Timescales mentioned are 10 to 15 years.
They are evidently expecting private bidders (so not a publicly owned/operated railway).

Currently, WG does not have powers to let the next W&B franchise, and there is no agreement with DfT yet on its boundaries.

Anyway a £3-5bn contract will be attractive.
I expect there will be a lot of strings attached.
Has the WG got its ducks in a row, or is it just another in the sequence of half-baked policy changes?

I think this deserves its own thread.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I

I suspect Gareth could give you a fairly accurate answer, but from my own experience, very little.

Much of the shopping in Swansea is now in out-of-town centres that need a car to get to them, so the train would be no help.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You're correct, that is one of the reasons why Swansea is now a less attractive destination to many rail travellers compared to Cardiff. At least the latter has a wide range of shops close to both of the main stations. In Swansea you have a ten minute walk down a less than pleasant street before you get anywhere!

The universities are important and increasingly so, but that's why I think that better coach services would be the answer, calling at all the campuses en route rather than at a railway station some way away

6Gman

Established Member
The universities are important and increasingly so, but that's why I think that better coach services would be the answer, calling at all the campuses en route rather than at a railway station some way away

The university traffic is also very heavily peaked. Which is more of a problem for the railway than for the coach operators.

Gwenllian2001

Much of the shopping in Swansea is now in out-of-town centres that need a car to get to them, so the train would be no help.

A good point but that applies to just about any town these days. The larger towns and cities usually have traditional shopping centres and the 'out of town' variety. Some of these places seem to have learned to live with both, Bridgend being a prime example. The huge, out of town, Mc Arthur Glen complex, only accessible by road, continues to thrive but Bridgend station, which serves the town, handles far more passengers than ever before. The biggest drawback to 'out of town shopping' is the need to drive to these places. Motoring is not a cheap option, especially for young drivers. Neither is it an option for thousands of people with disabilities which are not necessarily obvious to a casual onlooker. A conveniently located town centre station can be very attractive to all kinds of people because it is not just about Supermarket chains but Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs, Solicitors and a whole host of businesses and services that all of us need from time to time. Who would got to an 'out of town' centre to visit a Chiropidist or a Dentist or a Vet?
A conveniently situated railway station cuts out the nuisance of finding somewhere to park, which is usually a long way from where you would actually like to be. History has made some stations no longer relevant to the town centres that they were originally meant to serve. Perhaps some serious thought should be given to the possibility of new stations. The GWR was pretty good at this with simple Halts being constructed near to places where people actually wanted to go. The 'Limited Stop' philosophy of the Sixties and Seventies undid a lot of that good work and was, in my opinion, a mistake.
Lines that have reopened to passengers almost always have unmanned 'Halts' in places that are more convenient to those who use them.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I reckon that many of the leisure shopping market still prefer the city centre experience. That's where you go to somewhere to visit a range of different shops, perhaps some of which are independent or family owned businesses, enjoy a lunch and a couple of coffees/ice creams during the day, make some impulses buys and generally have a bit of a day out with a retail theme.

Out of town retail parks are all very well, they serve a [purpose as much as I don#'t like them but I see them as somewhere people will go to more from necessity than as a day out.

The point is that if I were living in some place in Mid Wales from where I could reach Swansea or Cardiff in the same amount of time and with the same amount of changes, Cardiff would win hands down in terms of a day out retail experience.

I'm not sure that many would drive such a way just for a retail park.

Anyway, in terms of shopping and business, West Wales is far behind the Cardiff and Newport area, and this is bound to have a negative effect on this kind of reopening proposal.

ivanhoe

Bangor and Caernarfon are the two biggest towns in the area. Caernarfon is a hub for Eastern Lleyn as has already been said. It is a prime destination for tourists, and, in terms, of business case I think it will be the best that there is out of all the reopenings being discussed in this thread.
I would imagine better roads would be more appreciated in the area. I visit Caernarfon a couple of times a year and I just can't see any business case for reopening from Bangor. It's well served by bus. As for the Lleyn Peninsula, better roads and better buses would be a far better investment. It's sad that the whole area had better transport links, including Canaervon, when the major operators were Crosville and BR and there were fewer cars. That part of Wales has missed out but thankfully the visitors keep coming.

Last edited:

Waldgrun

Getting tourists there by public transport would be great. That makes me wonder, though, how many of the visitors to this part of north Wales will want to go up Snowdon. I still think Bangor-Caernarfon should be the first phase, but will tourists leave their car at home for a bus from Caernarfon to Llanberis? Apart from a few 'static' caravans, which presumably can be moved, it doesn't look like there is much in the way of the old railway from Caernarfon until you reach Llyn Padarn. From there, the Llanberis Lake Railway is in the way. Is there enough tourisim to Llanberis to justify a rail link? And would it be worth losing the Llanberis Lake Railway, or is the formation wide enough for both?

The Llanberis Lake Railway, is built on the trackbed of the Padarn Railway (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padarn_Railway). The LLanberis branch line was on the southwestern side of Llyn Padarn, and part of the track bed was used to improve the A4086.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I don't understand all the talk about re-openning Bangor-Llangefni, I can't see why you would do that and not continue all the way to Amlwch. Since there is mothballed track still in place the reinstatement costs per mile must be much lower than a route that has been ripped-up and sold-off, so the extra cost of going all the way would be easier to justify with another 2-4 stations to put much more of Anglesey close to a station.
My view is Bangor to at least Llangefni. Getting to Llangefni makes a central railhead where commuters can cross the Menai Straits by train, sneaking underneath the tailbacks on the Britannia Bridge. After that, there's limited gains until you go all the way to Amlwch. Llanerchymedd isn't the beating metropolis it used to be, and Rhosgoch and Llangwyllog never were.

Politicians prefer Llangefni because it's shorter, thus cheaper (the 1980s proposal by Gwynedd Council to BR was only to reopen as car as Llangefni). There's also the existence of the nascent heritage railway organisation, which seems to have been given provisional dibs on the Llangefni-Amlwch portion.

Bangor-Caernarfon is the most obvious re-openning though I think.
Agreed. That's where the smart money is. But, being an Anglesey lad, my heart is with reopening Lein Amlwch.

quarella

A good point but that applies to just about any town these days. The larger towns and cities usually have traditional shopping centres and the 'out of town' variety. Some of these places seem to have learned to live with both, Bridgend being a prime example. The huge, out of town, Mc Arthur Glen complex, only accessible by road, continues to thrive but Bridgend station, which serves the town, handles far more passengers than ever before. The biggest drawback to 'out of town shopping' is the need to drive to these places. Motoring is not a cheap option, especially for young drivers. Neither is it an option for thousands of people with disabilities which are not necessarily obvious to a casual onlooker. A conveniently located town centre station can be very attractive to all kinds of people because it is not just about Supermarket chains but Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs, Solicitors and a whole host of businesses and services that all of us need from time to time. Who would got to an 'out of town' centre to visit a Chiropidist or a Dentist or a Vet?
A conveniently situated railway station cuts out the nuisance of finding somewhere to park, which is usually a long way from where you would actually like to be. History has made some stations no longer relevant to the town centres that they were originally meant to serve. Perhaps some serious thought should be given to the possibility of new stations. The GWR was pretty good at this with simple Halts being constructed near to places where people actually wanted to go. The 'Limited Stop' philosophy of the Sixties and Seventies undid a lot of that good work and was, in my opinion, a mistake.
Lines that have reopened to passengers almost always have unmanned 'Halts' in places that are more convenient to those who use them.

There is no need to drive to Mc Arthur Glen at Bridgend or Bridgend designer outlet as the ignored rebranding would have it. 11 local bus routes (within county borough) and variations. X10 Swansea - Cardiff (former Greyhound/100 shuttle). 172/72 Aberdare - Porthcawl. Less frequent 701 Aberystwyth - Cardiff. The National Express stop is right outside with services to/from London/Heathrow and Gatwick Airports/Rochdale/Birmingham and Haverfordwest. It is also not far off the National cycle network. If one day is not enough there is a accommodation available on site and nearby.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am sure that there are plenty of people who don't drive to the Bridgend Designer Outlet. Whenever I've taken the bus between Swansea and Cardiff, there have been just as many people alighting and boarding there as in either city.

I am still a little unsure how Bridgend affects a Carmarthen to Aberystwyth reopening in any significant way!

quarella

I am sure that there are plenty of people who don't drive to the Bridgend Designer Outlet. Whenever I've taken the bus between Swansea and Cardiff, there have been just as many people alighting and boarding there as in either city.

I am still a little unsure how Bridgend affects a Carmarthen to Aberystwyth reopening in any significant way!

That's what happens when I read posts in isolation forgetting what the thread subject is although it may have an effect on the 701 and possibly T2 and connections at Carmarthen. (Desperate attempt to link :D)
It was in response to an assertation that out of town shopping centres can only be reached by car which in many cases, including the one quoted is untrue.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's a bit of an aside to the main topic, but in my view while it's possible to travel to out of town retail parks by public transport, they were designed for the car age and it's much easier to get to and from most of them if you do have a vehicle at your disposal!

Back on topic, though, and I think that when it comes to this particular reopening proposal, retail parks aren't going to have much of an effect one way or the other!

As I see it, the reopening is undermined by a very poor business case base don the terrain, the population, and the present travelling habits of the area. Even visitors who might think of coming to the area by rail will be hampered by the lack of public transport to get around while they are there. If they have a car option, they will use that. And there are too few people who don't have a car option these days, even if it isn't necessarily their own car.

6Gman

Established Member

It's all that latent demand from Strata Florida to McArthur Glen!

:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's a bit of an aside to the main topic, but in my view while it's possible to travel to out of town retail parks by public transport, they were designed for the car age and it's much easier to get to and from most of them if you do have a vehicle at your disposal!

My one and only visit to Cheshire Oaks (and that was one too many!) underlined that point.

For those unfamiliar with CO the shops are basically in a circle enclosing a huge car park. The buses could have been arranged to go round the circle with 2 or 3 stops outside popular stores, but ... no ... the bus stop was right in the centre of the car park, as far as possible from any of the shops (and the covered walkway round them).

On the day I visited it was p***ing# down with rain!

# = pouring (of course).

krus_aragon

Established Member

My most recent visit, when working there for a day, was by train to Sarn and then cycling the rest of the way! ;)

GarethJohn

You're correct, that is one of the reasons why Swansea is now a less attractive destination to many rail travellers compared to Cardiff. At least the latter has a wide range of shops close to both of the main stations. In Swansea you have a ten minute walk down a less than pleasant street before you get anywhere!

Students get used life and will travel at the very cheapest route with many opting to travel to Swansea from Bangor by Bus rather than Train. They must have a lot of will power and good Bladder control.
Traws Cymru routes end-end are only really used by those who have no choice or enjoy Bus travel.
There are plenty of potential customers who want to travel a shorter distance to South Wales to go shopping or for other Leisure activities. The only option currently is Drive, Train to Telford/Birmingham or a long journey by bus to Camarthen that isn't that great in itself . Swansea and Cardiff appeal far more but require a arduous Bus trip on vehicles designed for a short a 1 hour max trip, they shouldn't be anywhere near a 2 hour plus Bus Route. You may get lucky and have a driver who will stop along the way for toilet or the breaks but how often will that happen when the drivers pushed for time? Coaches are a little better.
During the recent Engineering works even when a relative short journey from Mach - Newtown was considered too much hassle and put many off travelling unless it was absolutely necessary, certainly after the toilets were often out of use.
Why are TrawsCymru allowed to run Buses that are unsuitable for the routes?
The only alternative would be for Modern Coaches to run the Traws Cymru routes along main roads that have been significantly improved, only stopping at main towns, with a ''Branch Line'' type service serving the smaller communities. Thus would hopefully speed up the journey making it more usable. But could never match a modern rail service. And could that ever be any cheaper than having a quicker Railway line doing exactly the same?
It'll be interesting to see what happens when Dyfed returns to be the local authority as this will only increase the travelling (especially for Council Staff) through it a services become merged.

GarethJohn

I reckon that many of the leisure shopping market still prefer the city centre experience. That's where you go to somewhere to visit a range of different shops, perhaps some of which are independent or family owned businesses, enjoy a lunch and a couple of coffees/ice creams during the day, make some impulses buys and generally have a bit of a day out with a retail theme.

Out of town retail parks are all very well, they serve a [purpose as much as I don#'t like them but I see them as somewhere people will go to more from necessity than as a day out.

The point is that if I were living in some place in Mid Wales from where I could reach Swansea or Cardiff in the same amount of time and with the same amount of changes, Cardiff would win hands down in terms of a day out retail experience.

I'm not sure that many would drive such a way just for a retail park.

Anyway, in terms of shopping and business, West Wales is far behind the Cardiff and Newport area, and this is bound to have a negative effect on this kind of reopening proposal.

You sure!! plenty more used to drive(Even free pass holding Rail Staff) to Telford which is practically a Retail Park Town. largely due to the two hour frequency. A ''Big, Xmas Shop'' will never be practical by Public Transport so the car/internet will always beat rail on that point. If shoppers are leaving Wales then so is their expenditure. Due to the superior transport links. Mid-Wales business are choosing the West Midlands over South Wales for contracts again this is money leaving Wales instead of staying in it.
The hourly service has proved if you provide an average rail service it will be utilised far more than a Bus ever will even in a rural area. A new Aber Cam line should, if built properly be far quicker for journeys like Aber, Mach, Cam Coast- Swansea - Cardiff.It will also be quicker than travelling to the West Midlands, North West competing for the trade.
When they Electrify Swansea(hopefully Camarthen too) you will be able to catch a higher speed train to London sooner. That in itself will ease the pressure on the Shrews-Brum line which is still overcrowded. It could even make Cardiff Airport an alternative option to Birmingham & Manchester and actually serve Wales.
The benefits of Public transport shouldn't just be on what the Train/Bus will make but what the whole region can gain.
How much does Porthmadog benefit from a Railway line over Aberaeron when competing for tourist?
Using the train means you can avoid the dangerous A44 which will be a relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.