• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chase Line electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
As I pointed out before though, Shrewsbury crews still don't sign EMUs, so either that will need fixing or the diagrams arranged in such a way that keeps Salop staff off them if you want to run EMUs up there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
As has been said above, you can't just fleet change the entire operation with a click of the fingers. Sure, there'll be appearances of the odd EMU to maybe fill in for a failure .323s have been seen in Liverpool again on Brum services after a large gap so it's possible. But where are the sets going to magically come from that are currently sat spare? Can't just drag a load of old 319s out of Long Marston .

superkev

Established Member
As has been said above, you can't just fleet change the entire operation with a click of the fingers. Sure, there'll be appearances of the odd EMU to maybe fill in for a failure .323s have been seen in Liverpool again on Brum services after a large gap so it's possible. But where are the sets going to magically come from that are currently sat spare? Can't just drag a load of old 319s out of Long Marston .
Isn't it about planning ahead rather than fire fighting management.
Up my part of the world Northern have new trains being delivered almost daily and unless somethings changed recently have no training plan in place, no depot facilities, and probably no maintenance training or spares
K

sufian123

Plans it’ll be a class 350s doing this route email from WMR. It’s hard organising atm due to availability of class 350s. It’ll be done starting next year in time for may timetable change,

Kite159

Veteran Member
The electrification might be complete, but are all the platform extensions complete to allow 350s to call at all the stations north of Walsall?

driver_m

Established Member
Isn't it about planning ahead rather than fire fighting management.
Up my part of the world Northern have new trains being delivered almost daily and unless somethings changed recently have no training plan in place, no depot facilities, and probably no maintenance training or spares
K

I'm from Northern Land too, and they have started it. Half of Edge Hill has been turned over for CAF to test their introduction. There are various staff knocking about. The managers need to obviously get a feel for their new stuff just to do the snagging, then the DTMs and Instructors need to get their competency on them so as to be able to pass on the knowledge and have the ability to assess others. And thats before the training package even getsg agreed. Bear in mind, the last time Northern had genuinely new stuff to play with, it was the 175, so they've not got much practice with learning something that isn't a hand me down .

It will be easier for WMR but seeing as the great train cascade needs to happen and the 350s move from TPE andaybe some more 319s, then it's not a quick thing.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The NR item seems to show a 323 at Rugeley Town.
Presumably that means some live tests have been done over the line.
Is it really true that 323s have begun LNWR Birmingham-Liverpool runs (I know they used to for Central in the 1990s)? Quite a downgrade if so.
I'd have thought 323s in Liverpool would be Northern's units coming via the L&M (or maybe on training runs from Liverpool to/from Crewe).
And finally, I thought the EMUs for the Chase line were included in the 350/3-4 deal, also involving a string of WMT cascades on other electric routes?
The TPE 350/4s are still to transfer, of course, after the 397s are in service.

59CosG95

Established Member
Is it really true that 323s have begun LNWR Birmingham-Liverpool runs (I know they used to for Central in the 1990s)? Quite a downgrade if so.
I'd have thought 323s in Liverpool would be Northern's units coming via the L&M (or maybe on training runs from Liverpool to/from Crewe).
And finally, I thought the EMUs for the Chase line were included in the 350/3-4 deal, also involving a string of WMT cascades on other electric routes?
That is a 170 at Rugeley Town. The 323 at Lime Street was a one-off.

sufian123

Liverpool run class 323 was a one off.

driver_m

Established Member
They're not scheduled runs. Mainly because Crewe don't sign 323s. Needs a Brummie train crew to run one. That's why they're one offs. Anyway. Won't be that long before you start seeing leccies running down there.

td97

Established Member
It’s hard organising atm due to availability of class 350s. It’ll be done starting next year in time for may timetable change,
It's not exactly come as a surprise to WMT that the line was being electrified. If anything, the stock and trained drivers should have all been ready to deploy immediately as the project overran. 5 months of expensive infrastructure providing a wire for a pigeon to sit on really isn't good enough. It stinks of poor planning and management by WMT.
It would be really, really bad if Northern were to show them up and get electric services running at Bolton before WMT.

sufian123

It's not exactly come as a surprise to WMT that the line was being electrified. If anything, the stock and trained drivers should have all been ready to deploy immediately as the project overran. 5 months of expensive infrastructure providing a wire for a pigeon to sit on really isn't good enough. It stinks of poor planning and management by WMT.
It would be really, really bad if Northern were to show them up and get electric services running at Bolton before WMT.

I agree. If only 319s were not keep breaking down. 350s could’ve been deployed on this route for testing.

DavidGrain

Established Member
An item on BBC Midlands Today about the Chase Line. It was said that the reason that diesels are still running on the Chase Line is because the government have not yet allowed the timetable changes. A spokesman for WMR said that the diesels where desperately required to strengthen the Shrewsbury and Hereford services.

It was also said that this was the reason that the Walsall to London services had not started.

Please note that I am just reporting what was said. Don't blame me if you know anything better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-...337e96b05027067b92679f&pinned_post_type=share

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was said that the reason that diesels are still running on the Chase Line is because the government have not yet allowed the timetable changes

Which is a rubbish excuse considering running EMUs on diesel timings happens elsewhere (Reading - Newbury stoppers)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Which is a rubbish excuse considering running EMUs on diesel timings happens elsewhere (Reading - Newbury stoppers)
Depends if the diesels are on diagrams that taken them onto non-electrified lines elsewhere. Crew diagramming and traction knowledge could also be an issue as mentioned above.

DavidGrain

Established Member

As I said, I was just reporting what was said. I remember the electrification to Bromsgrove last year and how long the crew training seemed to take before this extra mile could be added to the Cross City Line timetable.

td97

Established Member
Northern, widely regarded as the UK's most incompetent TOC, have only gone and done it, running electric trains on an electrified railway, despite the Bolton project finishing later than this one. Complete disorganisation on WMT's part.

TheScud

What has WMT got to do with it? The OHL might have been granted approval but Network Rail haven't yet completed the platform lengthening required for the 4 car 350s. They also won't have enough EMUs to run both the Rugeley - Euston and the local Walsall trains all day until TPE hand over the extra 350s which are needed. Until that can happen several local Walsall diagrams will be 170, operating as Shrewsbury - Walsall, and the Chase line stuff 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.