• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Children on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
There have been 'Good' v 'Bad' behaviour threads recently, how about a 'parents who let their children run riot' thread? I'm on 1E19 Aberdeen - Kings Cross and there are a couple of apparently foreign couples letting their kids run the length of the carriage, taking the reservation cards out of the seat backs, stand on the tables, etc.

Very annoying to say the least.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
That's in the bad behaviour thread. Just as children sitting peacefully goes in the good thread.

Behaviour is independent of age.

route:oxford

Established Member
There have been 'Good' v 'Bad' behaviour threads recently, how about a 'parents who let their children run riot' thread? I'm on 1E19 Aberdeen - Kings Cross and there are a couple of apparently foreign couples letting their kids run the length of the carriage, taking the reservation cards out of the seat backs, stand on the tables, etc.

Very annoying to say the least.

Foreign? Scotland remained in the UK...

If they keep on running they'll soon wear out, alternatively, offer the children sweeties - that'll scare the parents into keeping them close.

SS4

Established Member

If they keep on running they'll soon wear out, alternatively, offer the children sweeties - that'll scare the parents into keeping them close.

This is not recommended if you're a man as the mumsnet brigade are far more interested in labelling innocent men paedophiles than actually being parents

najaB

Veteran Member

I'm making the assumption that they are foreigners on English not being a first (or apparently second) language, and their apparent unfamiliarity with the norms of 'British' behaviour: letting your kid climb onto tables and literally stick their face into other passenger's faces just isn't cricket!

Established Member
Danish have the right idea on DSB. Eight seats out and stick in a junglejim / screaming toddler holding cell. :P

ExRes

Established Member
I'm making the assumption that they are foreigners on English not being a first (or apparently second) language, and their apparent unfamiliarity with the norms of 'British' behaviour: letting your kid climb onto tables and literally stick their face into other passenger's faces just isn't cricket!

Sounds like they've picked up the norms of British behaviour perfectly, some of the youngsters I've seen on the Exeter-Paignton wouldn't win many awards for etiquette or respect for their fellow travellers

Johnuk123

Established Member
This is not recommended if you're a man as the mumsnet brigade are far more interested in labelling innocent men paedophiles than actually being parents

I had the misfortune I've being shown that website once, to say it's packed with men haters is a massive understatement.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I had the misfortune I've being shown that website once, to say it's packed with men haters is a massive understatement.
It's full of women, so that's a given. Just as forums populated primarily by males can turn misogynist quickly, the same is true with females and misandry.

The best thread on the forum is arguably the "dunking" one. It's... definitely not safe for work.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not wanting to blow my own trumpet (OK, maybe a little...), but my stepdaughter (9) is always impeccably behaved on train journeys, having been used to them from a young age.

The trick is to have some (non-noisy) entertainment prepared. Luckily, like her Mum, a good book, or colouring, or a magazine, will keep her quiet for quite some time*.

On the other hand, some parents these days don't seem to know how to entertain their kids in a way that doesn't involve putting a screen in front of their face.

*And also means she doesn't have to listen to me get excited when a Green Banner Repeater goes by, or prattle on about how OLE mast numbering works

Nighthawke

Sadly there are some parents who do not know how to bring up heir offspring in a "socially acceptable" way since they were brought up in the same way by their parents. Thus continues the decline, generation after generation.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Sadly there are some parents who do not know how to bring up heir offspring in a "socially acceptable" way since they were brought up in the same way by their parents. Thus continues the decline, generation after generation.

The evidence is there in Doncaster late at night, where the feral youth decend onto the interchange for the, what I presume, nightly mating ritual.

neilmc

In the old days when Anglo-Scottish trains split at Carstairs and we had family visits up from Manchester to Edinburgh, I would take my kids down to the end carriage of the Edinburgh section and peer through the small end windows.

When the Class 47 came along to couple on to the Edinburgh section, I would point out that there was another train on our line about to imminently crash into us.

I was not a model parent.

ashworth

Established Member

There are some children who are fantastically well behaved when travelling with their parents on trains but these are becoming few in number in recent years. These days, if possible I try to avoid sitting anywhere near children because I just get more and more annoyed with them and the attitude of their parents as the jourrney proceeds. As a recently retired primary school teacher it often just proves to me why so many in my class were so badly behaved for the first few days back at school after each holiday. When they have been allowed to do exactly as they like with their parents during the holiday it must be very difficult for them to adjust to a bit of discipline and understanding the meaning of the word NO!

Unfortunately in my retirement I now don't like travelling on trains with children, drunken football fans or those who talk loudly for the whole journey on a mobile phone.

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
I often find it`s teenagers more of an issue than younger kids. Clueless at buying tickets and often inappropriate in groups like making noises in a quiet carriage or simply swearing all the time just to gauge the reactions of others.

holl1984

I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old and they behave fantastically as a rule 99% of the time. I take stuff to distract them, we play eye spy out of the window, point out things of interest etc. I do tend to spend most of the time talking to them (look at those cows, what noise does a cow make kind of thing) but being on a train is an experience and a treat for them and what sort of parent doesn't want to enhance and share in experiences with there children?

The last trip we did was only a small one from greenbank to altrincham and I actually had a woman actually stop me once We had got off telling me how nice it was to hear a mum actually talk to there children instead of just ignoring them and what lovely well mannered, happy boys i have. Both have it drummed into them about being polite and respecting there surroundings and others around them

455driver

Veteran Member

You have just reminded me, I am a member on there and am due a visit, it is quite a fun forum that should be renamed ' I have had a sprog and the world owes me' :lol:

EssexCommuter

I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old and they behave fantastically as a rule 99% of the time. I take stuff to distract them, we play eye spy out of the window, point out things of interest etc. I do tend to spend most of the time talking to them (look at those cows, what noise does a cow make kind of thing) but being on a train is an experience and a treat for them and what sort of parent doesn't want to enhance and share in experiences with there children?

The last trip we did was only a small one from greenbank to altrincham and I actually had a woman actually stop me once We had got off telling me how nice it was to hear a mum actually talk to there children instead of just ignoring them and what lovely well mannered, happy boys i have. Both have it drummed into them about being polite and respecting there surroundings and others around them

This is the sort of parent I love to see. As I travel slightly after the evening peak, I encounter many families during the school holidays. I hate it when the parents are glued to their phones/tablets/laptops and the kids are left whining. The kids are whining because their parents are ignoring them. I've encountered many a parent who tells their child to 'shush' because they're busy (on Facebook).

Hearing children engage in conversation with their parents, learning new things and generally fascinated with the world going by is absolutely delightful, and very much welcomed after a day in the corporate world.

holl1984

This is the sort of parent I love to see. As I travel slightly after the evening peak, I encounter many families during the school holidays. I hate it when the parents are glued to their phones/tablets/laptops and the kids are left whining. The kids are whining because their parents are ignoring them. I've encountered many a parent who tells their child to 'shush' because they're busy (on Facebook).

Hearing children engage in conversation with their parents, learning new things and generally fascinated with the world going by is absolutely delightful, and very much welcomed after a day in the corporate world.

It drives me mad! And then they wonder why the children misbehave! The only time I've ever had an issue with either boy was when we stopped outside Crewe for over 60 minutes a while back. There's only so much talking, colouring etc you can do and my eldest did get a bit ratty/cranky and started to misbehave after 40 minutes or so but other travellers helped me out with chocolate, a comic etc for him which I was extremely grateful for as we were only going back to Hartford so didn't have much on us. But it does beggar belief why people don't actually want to talk to there children

Phil.

Established Member
Well as people on this forum are so quick to quote bye-law 19 when someone asks about a ticketing problem/offence/mistake why not ask the Guard/Conductor/Train manager to invoke bye-law 6(2) or 6(8)?

Requeststop

As I have said in other forums here, I get more and more reactionary as I get older. I'm afraid we are victims of the PC Brigade. When I was a youngster I was spoken to harshly, or even had the backs of my legs smacked. Parents now are not allowed to do that, so the rest of us have to suffer because of lazy attitude to parents controlling their pesky kids.

This continues throughout childhood and adolescence. From the baby constantly crying or screaming it's head off for at times, hours on end, and the parents just sit there, no idea that the is a problem with the child. The 3-10 year old, who cannot sit still, got to constantly move about, change position and again the parents do nothing, to the teenagers, shouting down their phones, shouting and swearing all over the place.

I try to confront parents. One child constantly swinging her legs under the table and kicking my shins. I ask the parent to get the child to stop. I get the dirty look. She'll stop when she wants. So I loose my cool. If I'm kicked again by your horrid child, then I'll kick you so hard that it'll take three weeks or more for the bruises to go away. I make sure the whole carriage hears me. Thankfully parent and child move away.

To be honest, I don't see why I should not complain. Constant two way conversations of a mobile phone that can be heard all over the carriage including the swearing is not one I and many others have to put up with. I get the reaction that I can always ask then to stop. Why should I have to ask them to stop! Why am I put in the position that I am disturbed and become annoyed?

I'm afraid the PC Brigade has won. I get up and move now, but again why should I have to?

It's worse in planes. You cannot move most the time. I just wish they put families and children in the rear of the plane next to the flight crew, and that children up to the age of 7 are drugged when they get on board.

King Herod had the right idea! Must be good as it's in the Bible.

Phil.

Established Member
As I have said in other forums here, I get more and more reactionary as I get older. I'm afraid we are victims of the PC Brigade. When I was a youngster I was spoken to harshly, or even had the backs of my legs smacked. Parents now are not allowed to do that, so the rest of us have to suffer because of lazy attitude to parents controlling their pesky kids.

This continues throughout childhood and adolescence. From the baby constantly crying or screaming it's head off for at times, hours on end, and the parents just sit there, no idea that the is a problem with the child. The 3-10 year old, who cannot sit still, got to constantly move about, change position and again the parents do nothing, to the teenagers, shouting down their phones, shouting and swearing all over the place.

I try to confront parents. One child constantly swinging her legs under the table and kicking my shins. I ask the parent to get the child to stop. I get the dirty look. She'll stop when she wants. So I loose my cool. If I'm kicked again by your horrid child, then I'll kick you so hard that it'll take three weeks or more for the bruises to go away. I make sure the whole carriage hears me. Thankfully parent and child move away.

To be honest, I don't see why I should not complain. Constant two way conversations of a mobile phone that can be heard all over the carriage including the swearing is not one I and many others have to put up with. I get the reaction that I can always ask then to stop. Why should I have to ask them to stop! Why am I put in the position that I am disturbed and become annoyed?

I'm afraid the PC Brigade has won. I get up and move now, but again why should I have to?

It's worse in planes. You cannot move most the time. I just wish they put families and children in the rear of the plane next to the flight crew, and that children up to the age of 7 are drugged when they get on board.

You're singing my song. We mustn't tell them off or complain. They're "expressing themselves".

trivran

So I loose my cool. If I'm kicked again by your horrid child, then I'll kick you so hard that it'll take three weeks or more for the bruises to go away. I make sure the whole carriage hears me. Thankfully parent and child move away.

Doesn't sound like you ever had a cool in the first place. How thoroughly unpleasant you appear. I would not suggest you simply put up with annoying children but threats of physical violence are not the remedy; indeed to me they suggest a man who has found it is the only way to get acquiescence to his demands.

All this moaning about the 'PC brigade'. Does it not occur to you that social attitudes may have simply moved on, or in any event that beating children, particularly on a regular occasion, will produce not only compliance but resentment and damage, both psychological and physical?

A final point; "Must be good as it's in the Bible".. you are surely not serious.

Emmery

Kicking and screaming children are an annoyance i'm sure everybody would agree.

However there is a considerable weight of difference between a child swinging there legs about and a grown man making threats to kick you or your child as to cause a bruise. If you actually are doing so then a complaint to the BTP could see you arrested sir!

Alternatively how about ball pit coaches for kids or bungee cords on the side of the trains to which you could strap your children. problem solved.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Ah, the PC brigade. That mythical legion of Guardianista do-gooders; wearing designer brogues and clutching organic decaff lattes - low fat, natch. Warping the world into this horrible dystopian future where hitting children is a bad thing!

Threatening a mother and child? What a lovely person you are; it makes me glad I'm sterile so I don't suffer the misfortune of myself and my baby sharing a carriage with you.

I know children are annoying and some parents don't really care what their kids are doing, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Requeststop

Ah, the PC brigade. That mythical legion of Guardianista do-gooders; wearing designer brogues and clutching organic decaff lattes - low fat, natch. Warping the world into this horrible dystopian future where hitting children is a bad thing!

Threatening a mother and child? What a lovely person you are; it makes me glad I'm sterile so I don't suffer the misfortune of myself and my baby sharing a carriage with you.

I know children are annoying and some parents don't really care what their kids are doing, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Doubt you'd feel the same when your shins had been kicked for the thirtieth time!

OneOffDave

Hmmm threatening to cause an assault causing ABH. That's enough to get you lifted and a lot of the coppers I know would grip you for that. Probably stick you with a Section 5 public order offence for causing "Harm, alarm or distress". Should the woman injure herself while fleeing from you then that would also potentially be a route for charging. I hope you've got a good brief and deep pockets.

SS4

Established Member
You have just reminded me, I am a member on there and am due a visit, it is quite a fun forum that should be renamed ' I have had a sprog and the world owes me' :lol:

Let me know how long it takes you to get banned <D. If you want to play easy mode bring up the court decision re:wheelchairs and pushchairs on buses <D<D

The PC brigade is simply an umbrella term for the fact the world isn't the same as the one seen through one's nostalgia goggles. An amorphous group out to cause only maleficence and impose their warped will on the world? Perhaps it only exists in the mind of the political right?

Relatedly, the HSE even has a page full of myths about things being banned on H&S (linked to the PC bridage)- http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

Status
Not open for further replies.