• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

dislecsyk

Well the courses I believe are actually split into crcl and ewr 1,2,3 etc so the intention was for the ewr courses to be strictly for that but realistically it would never have stayed like that.
I know they are not asking you to directly transfer as like you say your contract is for banbury so they can't force you anyway but the question will be coming to everyone, trainees and current qualified.
Will suit some more then others thats for sure.
Yep, they've asked us (and existing drivers) to signal an interest in transferring. But they haven't, and won't, at any point actually asked us to transfer. I think that's an important distinction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yep, they've asked us (and existing drivers) to signal an interest in transferring. But they haven't, and won't, at any point actually asked us to transfer. I think that's an important distinction.

I'd imagine they will ask those who indicated a desire to transfer to do so once a date for the traincrew depot to open has been set, if they still wish to. Clearly nobody is or will be forced to move and rightly so.

Mabs

There's always been a higher turnover of staff at London depots due to the wide choice of employers within a small area. However Chiltern have some of the best Ts & Cs of the London TOCs so drivers who leave Marylebone to go elsewhere for more money often find that the grass isn't greener...
My online status was changed to end of process. I was on holiday for 9 days. Today I came back to receive a voicemail from Chilterns over a week ago for an interview at Marylebone. I called recruitment and explained that I was away.

I was given a interview date in September. I need to prepare well.

Can you tell me more about the terms and conditions?

12LDA28C

Established Member
My online status was changed to end of process. I was on holiday for 9 days. Today I came back to receive a voicemail from Chilterns over a week ago for an interview at Marylebone. I called recruitment and explained that I was away.

I was given a interview date in September. I need to prepare well.

Can you tell me more about the terms and conditions?

Ts & Cs won't mean much to you if you haven't been a driver at another TOC/FOC to compare against. Basically things such as minimum turn length, maximum turn length, maximum number of continuous driving hours, movement off spare, number of Saturdays worked and the Sunday working arrangements are better at Chiltern from a driver's perspective than at many other operators.

In your position I would be worrying less about a potential three-hour movement off Spare at this stage, and more about what kind of questions you might be asked in your interview.

Mabs

Ts & Cs won't mean much to you if you haven't been a driver at another TOC/FOC to compare against. Basically things such as minimum turn length, maximum turn length, maximum number of continuous driving hours, movement off spare, number of Saturdays worked and the Sunday working arrangements are better at Chiltern from a driver's perspective than at many other operators.

In your position I would be worrying less about a potential three-hour movement off Spare at this stage, and more about what kind of questions you might be asked in your interview.
My only worry is I need to find the best route to work. By car it's around 30 minutes drive to Marylebone but I think there is no parking.

Best option probably be using night buses. I'm sure il be asked how I will get to work. I need to do my research.

Cjay144

My only worry is I need to find the best route to work. By car it's around 30 minutes drive to Marylebone but I think there is no parking.

Best option probably be using night buses. I'm sure il be asked how I will get to work. I need to do my research.
There is parking at Marylebone but not many. Tends to get full quite quickly.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Parking provision is nothing to do with terms and conditions.

Mabs

Is there a secure place to park up an electric bicycle ? I'm thinking to buy a bicycle if I get the job.

gatters

Is there a secure place to park up an electric bicycle ? I'm thinking to buy a bicycle if I get the job.
there are loads of cycle parking spots on platform 3 at Marylebone. These are behind the gate line so pretty secure

12LDA28C

Established Member
there are loads of cycle parking spots on platform 3 at Marylebone. These are behind the gate line so pretty secure

I think @Mabs meant secure staff bicycle parking facilities. The cycle parking on Platform 3 may not be suitable for certain types/designs of electric bicycle with chunky wide tyres, for example although I agree that the area should be reasonably secure. Also worth considering that Chiltern participates in the Cycle To Work scheme.

Personally however, I'd be concentrating on my forthcoming interview and doing my best to get the job before considering how I'm going to get to work.

Mabs

I think @Mabs meant secure staff bicycle parking facilities. The cycle parking on Platform 3 may not be suitable for certain types/designs of electric bicycle with chunky wide tyres, for example although I agree that the area should be reasonably secure. Also worth considering that Chiltern participates in the Cycle To Work scheme.

Personally however, I'd be concentrating on my forthcoming interview and doing my best to get the job before considering how I'm going to get to work.
I wouldn't use public bicycle racks. The types of bikes I want are £2500 + with around 100 miles range between each charge. The chances of it being stolen is very high.

I have been preparing for the interview but I am also preparing what to say when they mention about little parking being available and how il get to work.

State

I would be interested in this too as I plan to cycle to work when I start. At my current depot I can take my bike inside the building (with a keycode locked door)

DH85D7802

Hello all, its been a while now, I have just logged into the DB page and saw that the application has gone now from my account, still not heard anything since the multiple choice questionair, anyone had the same or heard ? Cheers !

Brum_AVFC

Hello all, its been a while now, I have just logged into the DB page and saw that the application has gone now from my account, still not heard anything since the multiple choice questionair, anyone had the same or heard ? Cheers !
Yeah, Moor St applicant, same has happened, not surprised as heard nothing since February, but more vacancies will come along in the future! I don’t think it was a big recruitment drive for Birmingham anyway as hardly seen anyone talk about it here.

Speedbird100

Hi All, has anyone else’s application for trainee driver applications advertised in January at the Banbury depot on their online DB profile gone from being ‘in progress’ to saying you haven’t applied for a job?!?!?!

silexa

Hi All, has anyone else’s application for trainee driver applications advertised in January at the Banbury depot on their online DB profile gone from being ‘in progress’ to saying you haven’t applied for a job?!?!?!
Yep, i applied for Moor Street but thats gone as well

SuperS16v

The jobs always disappear around the 6 month mark. Something to do with GDPR apparently. It doesn’t mean the application has been withdrawn

Gondor

Hi guys! New member here. Just a few question's if anyone could help.
I was successful on my application for aylesbury, passed all the test and medical. Is anyone else on the 15th January course?
From reading i should receive the welcome pack around a week before the start date?

Also in reagrds to reference, when does chiltern request them? I want to put my notice in soon but they haven't asked my current employer for them. Anyone else know time frames for the reference and did you wait till this was complete before putting in your notice?

Thanks all :)

clarets2005

Hi guys! New member here. Just a few question's if anyone could help.
I was successful on my application for aylesbury, passed all the test and medical. Is anyone else on the 15th January course?
From reading i should receive the welcome pack around a week before the start date?

Also in reagrds to reference, when does chiltern request them? I want to put my notice in soon but they haven't asked my current employer for them. Anyone else know time frames for the reference and did you wait till this was complete before putting in your notice?

Thanks all :)

Hello mate - first of all, congratulations!

You'll get a load of stuff to complete from HR which will include your contract, reference requests (if I remember correctly), uniform orders, parking permits etc, some time in the next few weeks. You'll get an email about a week before with a welcome pack that includes a load of useful info on the company, where you're going on your first day etc etc.
Probably best to hand in your notice when you have a contract with a confirmed start date.

DM me if you need anything.

Gondor

Hello mate - first of all, congratulations!

You'll get a load of stuff to complete from HR which will include your contract, reference requests (if I remember correctly), uniform orders, parking permits etc, some time in the next few weeks. You'll get an email about a week before with a welcome pack that includes a load of useful info on the company, where you're going on your first day etc etc.
Probably best to hand in your notice when you have a contract with a confirmed start date.

DM me if you need anything.
Hey mate!

Thank you. Still in shock i got it tbh.

Got everything now, all signed and returned.
Nice having a contract, makes it feel real aha

One thing, the uniform sheet didn't mention anything about footwear. Is this highlighted on the welcome pack or do we just wear our own boots?

HeelBurton

Hey mate!

Thank you. Still in shock i got it tbh.

Got everything now, all signed and returned.
Nice having a contract, makes it feel real aha

One thing, the uniform sheet didn't mention anything about footwear. Is this highlighted on the welcome pack or do we just wear our own boots?
Wear your own shoes for now just make sure they are comfortable and smart ish. I wasn’t issued shoes when I came to chiltern but was given shoe vouchers to go and get my own at some point.

I’ll also see you on the 15th, but not in the capacity you might be thinking ;)

Congratulations!!!

dereksingh291

On Moderation
any idea when Chiltern Railways will be recruiting for trainee train drivers for all of its depots again including Birmingham?

LostLady

Hello all, I'm new here, great forum! As Chiltern is recruiting I think I'm best to post here ..

I'll get straight to the point, I'm 55 ... Not that I feel it! I realise there's a medical to pass which shouldn't be an issue but are older ladies given a chance?

I'm from an aviation background, been involved in operations, training and audit more recently in countries that aren't as developed as the UK, so safety is paramount!

Very keen, but do I stand a chance of joining any company as an apprentice driver?

Thanks for your help

SJN

Hello all, I'm new here, great forum! As Chiltern is recruiting I think I'm best to post here ..

I'll get straight to the point, I'm 55 ... Not that I feel it! I realise there's a medical to pass which shouldn't be an issue but are older ladies given a chance?

I'm from an aviation background, been involved in operations, training and audit more recently in countries that aren't as developed as the UK, so safety is paramount!

Very keen, but do I stand a chance of joining any company as an apprentice driver?

Thanks for your help
Hi. I started training as a lady driver at 50. As long as you can pass the tests you should be considered.