• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drh78

I went for this, attended the interview, was told it went well and then they said they only need drivers at Marylebone and Aylesbury. Gutted is putting it politely. Good luck to anyone still in the process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaoloG92

I went for this, attended the interview, was told it went well and then they said they only need drivers at Marylebone and Aylesbury. Gutted is putting it politely. Good luck to anyone still in the process.
Sorry to hear Drh and to everyone else who received the dreaded email, I also got knocked back for this too. Heard on Tuesday afternoon. Have you only just found out? Has anybody actually heard they've been successful for this by the way?

Max287

Sorry to hear Drh and to everyone else who received the dreaded email, I also got knocked back for this too. Heard on Tuesday afternoon. Have you only just found out? Has anybody actually heard they've been successful for this by the way?
Still waiting to hear anything at all at the moment! Surely can't be much longer now!!!

12guard4

Must be horrible waiting especially when others have already heard. Although I haven't seen anyone say they have been successful for this year yet so maybe it's a good thing?

RedZed

It seems if you're an employee of CR they give you feedback straight away. If you're not then they don't , if at all. Not that it matters because if they asked me the same questions again, I'd give exactly the same answers.

Jippy101

Hi
I also got email saying I was unsuccessful with Manager interview. I feel gutted as I passed everything else and they said I did well in the interview. I believe there were 7 positions left in the end as 3 depots drivers got promoted.

I was told that if not successful this time you would be put in a pool of talented drivers for next year but didn't even make that just a no sorry. It didn't help knowing that others applicants from last year were also in on it and would most likely be favoured first.

When looking at other companies it looks as though you have to take their assessments to get in anyway even though you have qualified stage 1 and 2. Has anyone made it through as I would love to know how many internals got it?

RedZed

LOL
I too was asked at the end of my interview if I was unsuccessful would I like to be considered for depot driver, which in the end I was not even offered or mentioned in the rejection letter.
When they said that at the interview I kinda guessed that they had already made their mind up, regardless of interview scores...

RedZed

Just thought I'd share this:
I asked about the relevance of asking for the photograph a week before the the rejection letters were sent out. Despite the answer, I still maintain that you can make a decision based on 'scores'regardless of what the candidate looks like or any need to 'jog' an interviewers memory. Everything you need to know is on the sheet of paper in front of you.

Thank you for the email. Whilst obviously disappointing news, I'm interested to know the significance of asking for a passport type photo to attach to my application if you are just going to reject me a week later. I would not expect a photograph of myself to form part of the selection process.

Hi RedZed

In brief, there was no significance outside of providing a physical reminder of the individual alongside the interview scores, which was what was taken into account.

So to confirm, the photograph was not part of the selection process.

Thanks,

RedZed

Just thought I'd share this:
I asked about the relevance of asking for the photograph a week before the the rejection letters were sent out. Despite the answer, I still maintain that you can make a decision based on 'scores'regardless of what the candidate looks like or any need to 'jog' an interviewers memory. Everything you need to know is on the sheet of paper in front of you.

Thank you for the email. Whilst obviously disappointing news, I'm interested to know the significance of asking for a passport type photo to attach to my application if you are just going to reject me a week later. I would not expect a photograph of myself to form part of the selection process.

Hi RedZed

In brief, there was no significance outside of providing a physical reminder of the individual alongside the interview scores, which was what was taken into account.

So to confirm, the photograph was not part of the selection process.

Thanks,

Any one else in recruitment ever need to be reminded what someone looks like to jog their memory of what was said at an interview that doesn't form part of the interview process?

Any one else in recruitment ever need to be reminded what someone looks like to jog their memory of what was said at an interview that doesn't form part of the interview process?

Let it go Mate, for several posts in a row now you have come across as bitter. The fact you have posted an email from Chiltern on here has now allowed them to identify you. Do you think companies don't talk or share info? I mean the fact they are an Arriva group company and that your next application could be to XC or ATW would be enough to dissuade me from sounding off.

Did the application and interview process have faults? Yes. Was it more transparent, fairer, quicker and feature better communication than most other railway application procedures I have been through or you read about on these pages? Yes it was.

RedZed

Let it go Mate, for several posts in a row now you have come across as bitter. The fact you have posted an email from Chiltern on here has now allowed them to identify you. Do you think companies don't talk or share info? I mean the fact they are an Arriva group company and that your next application could be to XC or ATW would be enough to dissuade me from sounding off.

Did the application and interview process have faults? Yes. Was it more transparent, fairer, quicker and feature better communication than most other railway application procedures I have been through or you read about on these pages? Yes it was.

So what if I can be 'identified'. Couldn't care less. I can be as bitter and miserable as I like. It doesn't change the outcome. I'm not being offered a position with these TOC's / FOC's so it doesn't affect them and it doesn't change anything for me.
As for future' employment, apparently I live 'too far away' for two of the four that I have applied to and as I'm not about to relocate, any other companies will not be considered by me as being worth applying for as I live outside the commutable distance. This has run it's course for me, so it matters not if they 'share' RedZed' s opinion.

mumrar

Established Member
It didn't help knowing that others applicants from last year were also in on it and would most likely be favoured first.
I know personally of 4 CR employees, including myself, who were short-listed for depot driving from last year - and none of us have got through to getting a position here after having interviews, so I don't think the suspicion or implication of favouritism stands up.

Nippy

I didn't get passed the MMI. Gutted as I only live 10 mins from Aylesbury.

PaoloG92

Just out of interest has anybody yet been told they've been successful for this? It's the end of the month today and the end of the typical office working week. I haven't heard anybody saying anything positive?

JonnyH

I know I didn't. Had the email Tuesday, very disappointed. A friend of mine still hasn't heard yet so still hoping for good news for him. It's weird they haven't told some people yet! I don't understand why they would send out rejections and offers for talent pools and then 3 days later some people still haven't had anything! Even if they had been successful why not tell them? Only thing I can think of is they are still deciding between the ones who haven't heard and will either appoint them now or talent pool them? Would be surprised if they were rejected now, that would be awfully cruel!!!

PaoloG92

Maybe so but what about the people who are on here and haven't heard anything? They must be going crazy by now wondering what the deal is, I know I would be!!!

Any current Chiltern depot drivers on here who have been told they have been successful?

JonnyH

Very late on a Friday night and no good news from anyone? Guessing they didn't get it all wrapped up by the end of the month then? Good luck to you guys who haven't heard, I hope this delay is a good thing for you, it's a great opportunity with a fantastic company. If you do get the chance, embrace it and make it count ??????

RedZed

Maybe in keeping with 'normal' recruitment procedures, the offers were sent out before the rejections, thereby saving the company embarrassment of having to go to a failed candidate and retracting it, if a successful candidate was unable to accept the offer?

Maybe there are no offers and CR have a bizarre recruitment strategy in the same way that GTR do and recruit for non existent roles?

benno79

Just got my rejection email. They are keeping my details on record for future vacancies at their northern depot.

Max287

Just got my rejection email. They are keeping my details on record for future vacancies at their northern depot.
I've just had the very same news mate. I just hope it's not years of unknown waiting not knowing if it will ever happen :-/

benno79

Sorry to hear that, my main problem is my psychometrics run out next October so I don't have a lot of time. Yes I could take them again but I don't really want to.

Ihopeipass

O well, didn't get it this time, live to far away. Placed in talent pool for their Northern Depot. That's three talent pools I am on now, one of them bound to come good soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.