• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Trainee Train Driver - Bletchley (06/09/23)

The TOC does the sifting, nothing to do with OPC. Initial sift would be done on location/distance from Depot, etc. OPC will have records of who has completed testing in the past and how long those passes are valid for which will come into play later in the recruitment process.

Further curiosity, is there a computer programme they use which takes the address of applicant and depot then makes the calculation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Further curiosity, is there a computer programme they use which takes the address of applicant and depot then makes the calculation?

No, although popular websites may be used such as AA Route Planner or Google Maps. Remember the 45 minutes from Home Depot applies at 0900 just the same as it does at 2300.

No, although popular websites may be used such as AA Route Planner or Google Maps. Remember the 45 minutes from Home Depot applies at 0900 just the same as it does at 2300.

Yeah, this did peak my interest. I'm in a bit of a situation where there is heavy roadworks showing on my route regardless of the time of day, they wont always be there and they look close to completion but there is times of the day its adding on 5-10mins.

Could really do with the roadworks to disappear for a bit.

michbridie

I came to ask whether anyone had heard anything after the 90min form, but I see there are a few people waiting.
I guess it’s just being patient! Any tips on material to research in the meantime?

plastictaffy

The sift is when they review your cv?? Then they send the information form is that right? So many people don’t get past that you reckon?
Having worked on the railways before a long time ago, and applying for a driver position with the TOC I worked for, I had a chat with a chap in HR.
He informed me that the vast majority of applications don't even progress past the paper sift.
Knowing that there are always a LOT of applicants for railway jobs in general, and driver jobs in particular, if you've got through the paper sift you're doing alright.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Having worked on the railways before a long time ago, and applying for a driver position with the TOC I worked for, I had a chat with a chap in HR.
He informed me that the vast majority of applications don't even progress past the paper sift.
Knowing that there are always a LOT of applicants for railway jobs in general, and driver jobs in particular, if you've got through the paper sift you're doing alright.

Initial sift generally weeds out about 50% of applicants. If you don't answer all the questions, or live outside the catchment area then don't be surprised if you're binned off at the first stage.

MidweekR

Initial sift generally weeds out about 50% of applicants. If you don't answer all the questions, or live outside the catchment area then don't be surprised if you're binned off at the first stage.
Interestingly, I live outside of the catchment area but applied as the advert did not specify ineligibility to apply based on this. In my cover letter I stated clearly I would relocate - and I genuinely would as I am looking for a fresh start and a several hour commute would be as untenable to me as it would be to Chiltern!

I did get progressed to the Microsoft Form, where I was specifically asked about distance to Bletchley depot - once again I specified intention to relocate ahead of start date if successful. Hope Chiltern will give me a chance.

mattymat

There’s an Initial psychometric test which I think will be online then the OPC. I’m thinking that might be in person like at a centre?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Interestingly, I live outside of the catchment area but applied as the advert did not specify ineligibility to apply based on this. In my cover letter I stated clearly I would relocate - and I genuinely would as I am looking for a fresh start and a several hour commute would be as untenable to me as it would be to Chiltern!

I did get progressed to the Microsoft Form, where I was specifically asked about distance to Bletchley depot - once again I specified intention to relocate ahead of start date if successful. Hope Chiltern will give me a chance.

In general, applicants who live within the specified distance / commute time from the Depot they are applying for will be given priority for filling vacancies and promises to relocate are not usually taken into account - various TOCs have been burnt in the past where someone promising to relocate has not done so.

There’s an Initial psychometric test which I think will be online then the OPC. I’m thinking that might be in person like at a centre?

The full OPC testing would indeed be done in person at a testing centre, usually Watford.

mattymat

In general, applicants who live within the specified distance / commute time from the Depot they are applying for will be given priority for filling vacancies and promises to relocate are not usually taken into account - various TOCs have been burnt in the past where someone promising to relocate has not done so.

The full OPC testing would indeed be done in person at a testing centre, usually Watford.
Just gotta pass that initial psychometric test. I’m sure there’s material online. Once you get through that you’re halfway there I’d imagine

12LDA28C

Established Member
Just gotta pass that initial psychometric test. I’m sure there’s material online. Once you get through that you’re halfway there I’d imagine

Candidates who successfully pass the online VSE test would be invited to sit full OPC testing. If those tests are passed there would be a DM interview to get through before a final decision is made on whether you would be offered a job.

MidweekR

Hopefully those who've applied should start seeing some movement on this if they haven't already.

Unfortunately my application can't be progressed further as I'm outside of the 45 minute commute, and they are unable to take my intention to relocate into account. Disappointing, but I am very appreciative that Chiltern took the time to respond informatively.

RogerDoger

MidweekR

I am sorry to hear that, but thank you for taking the time to come on here to update

I hope you manage to find a position nearer to you soon

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hopefully those who've applied should start seeing some movement on this if they haven't already.

Unfortunately my application can't be progressed further as I'm outside of the 45 minute commute, and they are unable to take my intention to relocate into account. Disappointing, but I am very appreciative that Chiltern took the time to respond informatively.

Did the job advert not specifically state a 45-minute maximum commute from Bletchley Depot? You'd be amazed at how far away prospective applicants live, despite similar criteria being specifically stated on adverts in the past.

MidweekR

Did the job advert not specifically state a 45-minute maximum commute from Bletchley Depot? You'd be amazed at how far away prospective applicants live, despite similar criteria being specifically stated on adverts in the past.
Yes, but it did not state ‘at time of applying’ like some TOCs do so technically I was eligible to apply. Hence I threw my hat in the ring and stated clearly I would relocate if successful.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yes, but it did not state ‘at time of applying’ like some TOCs do so technically I was eligible to apply. Hence I threw my hat in the ring and stated clearly I would relocate if successful.

Ah, understood. It would seem logical to assume that a statement such as 'you will live within a 45-minute commute of Bletchley' or similar would apply at the point of application, not at some unspecified point in the future. Too often a promise to relocate has been unfulfilled so I can understand why such pledges are discounted.

Good luck with any future applications to other TOCs though.

plastictaffy

I've heard nothing yet. Considering they're after a January start, and knowing how long it takes to get things done on the railways, in my opinion they're going to be cutting it fine to get everything done if they don't get a wiggle on.

So is it safe to assume that the distance checks have been completed?
Assume nothing......

12LDA28C

Established Member
So is it safe to assume that the distance checks have been completed?

If someone has received a rejection email, it's pretty safe to assume that all unsuccessful candidates who have fallen foul of the initial sift will have received a similar communication. If an applicant has not received such a message then it's a fair assumption they are still in the process.

RogerDoger

I've heard nothing yet. Considering they're after a January start, and knowing how long it takes to get things done on the railways, in my opinion they're going to be cutting it fine to get everything done if they don't get a wiggle on.

Assume nothing......
If they are after 30 odd drivers they are not going to have the capacity to train all of them at once. I would imagine the first cohort will be largely made up of people who already have their tests due to the time scales.
I may be wrong but would imagine new starters will be staggered over a relatively long period

12LDA28C

Established Member
If they are after 30 odd drivers they are not going to have the capacity to train all of them at once. I would imagine the first cohort will be largely made up of people who already have their tests due to the time scales.
I may be wrong but would imagine new starters will be staggered over a relatively long period

30 drivers would be trained in three classes, although more than one class can be run concurrently, as indeed is currently happening.

RogerDoger

Thank you for the information, that is slightly more than I had anticipated. I guess the classroom bit is ok to do in larger groups, but Chiltern would need enough mentors/driver instructors. This must be a bit of a headache with so many new joiners.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thank you for the information, that is slightly more than I had anticipated. I guess the classroom bit is ok to do in larger groups, but Chiltern would need enough mentors/driver instructors. This must be a bit of a headache with so many new joiners.

Indeed, and a campaign to recruit more instructors will be commenced in the near future.

MidweekR

Ah, understood. It would seem logical to assume that a statement such as 'you will live within a 45-minute commute of Bletchley' or similar would apply at the point of application, not at some unspecified point in the future. Too often a promise to relocate has been unfulfilled so I can understand why such pledges are discounted.

Good luck with any future applications to other TOCs though.
That’s a fair point. While I’ve been considering a rail career for some time now, I am new to the industry’s recruitment process and it’s now clear to me there’s less scope for relocation pledges than in other industries.

Thanks. I’ve found this community to be an excellent resource, largely down to the efforts of yourself and others who take the time to be informative on these matters.

7819Hinton

Got an email today inviting me for an online VSE test.

Any tips?
Read the instructions carefully, maintain your concentration, react accordingly, remember to prioritise your response and most of all stay calm. It‘s looking to test whether you have some of the NTS‘s and aptitude required for the role.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Got an email today inviting me for an online VSE test.

Any tips?

I believe there are hints and tips online on YouTube and similar websites, try Google. This is the next step of the sifting process so failure of the VSE test will mean the end of the process at this stage.

mattymat

How many people that got it have sent off their initial assessment? Was it tough? I’m still waiting to hear back.