• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas, is it coming earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon,

I wonder if firms are trying to stimulate their business somewhat as I have had 2 emails in the past couple of days advertising Christmas 2020 products already, I have sometimes seen the odd Christmas things appear in July but not in June. No doubt it will be Valentines bits next quickly followed by Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs. :rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
Some orders are currently taking 6 weeks for delivery so won’t take long until last ordering dates to guarantee Christmas delivery from those firms !

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No doubt it will be Valentines bits next quickly followed by Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs.
Easter eggs were about the only thing that didn't sell out a couple or so months ago when everyone was seemingly panic-buying alcohol-gel, toilet rolls, pasta and flour.

PeterC

Established Member
Are they targeting wholesale or retail? When I worked in retail now was the time to order our Christmas ranges.

najaB

Veteran Member
Good afternoon,

I wonder if firms are trying to stimulate their business somewhat as I have had 2 emails in the past couple of days advertising Christmas 2020 products already, I have sometimes seen the odd Christmas things appear in July but not in June. No doubt it will be Valentines bits next quickly followed by Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs. :rolleyes:
Not really. But this thread is earlier and earlier every year. :p

Bob figgis

Yep been “Peak” planning for three weeks now at work. Christmas is the peak of our business, it is win or die time every year for retailers. The only time a lot of retailers make any money.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Easter eggs were about the only thing that didn't sell out a couple or so months ago when everyone was seemingly panic-buying alcohol-gel, toilet rolls, pasta and flour.

Talking of Easter, I bought some hot cross buns in Tesco on Saturday. They were very nice, but definitely seems a bit early for next Easter :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have noticed a couple of the firms that operate, mainly steam, railtours in the UK are now selling their Pre Christmas tours. Perhaps being hopeful after yesterdays announcement.

PeterC

Established Member
The next Christmas thread will be because cards are on sale in time to send them surface mail to Australia.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
WH Smith at Euston still has Easter Eggs on sale.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think Creme Eggs are on sale all through the year.

They’re not. A few years back Cadbury’s made them available all year but sales were lower so they reverted to being an Easter seasonal line only.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think Creme Eggs are on sale all through the year.

They are *made* all year, but (usually) only shipped to for sale to retailers from Boxing Day to Easter Sunday. Of course some sneak out a little early or stay out a little longer. Those that are made from Easter to about November are frozen in a giant cold store warehouse (used to be in Gloucester, not sure if it still is) and very slowly defrosted to meet demand after Christmas. Those made from about November are sent straight to the shelves via normal warehouses.

To be fair, I’m reasonably sure the ones I saw were hangovers from Easter. Also, since Kraft / Modelez swapped the chocolate of the Creme egg from Dairy Milk to amore standard (and cheaper) milk chocolate they are not as nice and I suspect sales are significantly down. Particularly this year with everyone locked up for Easter.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
To be fair, I’m reasonably sure the ones I saw were hangovers from Easter. Also, since Kraft / Modelez swapped the chocolate of the Creme egg from Dairy Milk to amore standard (and cheaper) milk chocolate they are not as nice and I suspect sales are significantly down. Particularly this year with everyone locked up for Easter.

Indeed. Plus over the last few years, they have become pretty expensive compared to a lot of other just-as-nice chocolate, price-for-weight. I used to adore creme eggs, but don't think I've had any now for a couple of years.

najaB

Veteran Member
Indeed. Plus over the last few years, they have become pretty expensive compared to a lot of other just-as-nice chocolate, price-for-weight. I used to adore creme eggs, but don't think I've had any now for a couple of years.
They're way too sweet for my taste. The Oreo ones are much better.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also, since Kraft / Modelez swapped the chocolate of the Creme egg from Dairy Milk to a more standard (and cheaper) milk chocolate they are not as nice and I suspect sales are significantly down. Particularly this year with everyone locked up for Easter.
The Cadbury's Creme Egg product "re-formulation" (= more sugar, less milk?) was announced back in January 2015 and sales, not unsurprisingly, dropped by some £6 mln in the following year, apparently. Can't imagine that they will have improved much this year! :rolleyes:

najaB

Veteran Member
The Cadbury's Creme Egg product "re-formulation" (= more sugar, less milk?) was announced back in January 2015 ... Can't imagine that they will have improved much this year! :rolleyes:
At five and a half years old, I suspect you're right! ;)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Same here - I’ve had one in the last 4 years and it was such a disappointment. I well remember “in the old days” eating / chugging a pack of six one after the other and thinking it was the best thing ever. My personal record is 4 at once, but that did hurt a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.