• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
well if that were to be the case they would not be allowed to travel on the shared met lines, there would be no reason for them not to go to aylesbury, just because of tripcocks, gota love wiki.
Of course yeah, should have really said they'll only be able to go to Aylesbury via High Wycombe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
It looks like a normal 170 with no contour lines and the yellow goes too far back

route:oxford

Established Member
More photos of 172001 here.

And interior shots here and here.

Yikes, should have put a warning on your post before submitting that link...

The seat material is very 70s. Not something to embrace after a late night. Hope that it's just bare bones material and the livery is for testing by Network Rail/RoSCo prior to full production.

The Planner

Veteran Member
so planner is probably right with the GX and odd Wycombe, if they need to go to Aylesbury they can always go via P, Risborough and not need trip cocks.

The planned Evergreen 3 diagrams only have them on the journeys Ive said.

Helvellyn

Established Member
The seat material is very 70s. Not something to embrace after a late night. Hope that it's just bare bones material and the livery is for testing by Network Rail/RoSCo prior to full production.
No, that's LOROL's seating pattern, and is being used on the Class 378s as well. The colours are reversed to highlight the priority seats.

Drsatan

Established Member
But unlike the 378s at least they have a proper seating layout (transverse 2+2 seats, as opposed to the longitudinal seating of the 378s), so fewer passengers will have to stand...

On the other hand, I'd have thought TfL would have specified longitudinal seating given that the 378s have them, or maybe TfL didn't have much control over the specification for the 172s.

Pumbaa

Established Member
They'll do the job. Biggest change to 170s/171s I can see is the windows. They've gone kind of Siemens! The old Turbo/Electrostar stock had four down the centre, and they weren't as high as these ones. These new windows look almost square!

alex57601

They'll do the job. Biggest change to 170s/171s I can see is the windows. They've gone kind of Siemens! The old Turbo/Electrostar stock had four down the centre, and they weren't as high as these ones. These new windows look almost square!

The windows also look like the ones that will be used on the NXEA Class 379s if the mock-up drawings from last year is anything to go by.

As for the livery and seating moquette, you will all find that this is LOROL-spec livery and moquette (as per the Class 378s), so the photos of the 172s provided in this thread are for LOROL.

route:oxford

Established Member
Are the 172s for Chiltern going to have Dellner or BSI couplings, it would make sense for them to have BSI as it would maintain the standard within their fleet.

So if a 165 were attached to a 172, would it be acceptable to run on the joint lines?

Would the 165 have to be the lead vehicle?

MCR247

Established Member
Yeah, I think
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So if a 165 were attached to a 172, would it be acceptable to run on the joint lines?

Would the 165 have to be the lead vehicle?

What would happen at Aylesbury when the set returns?

Daimler

Established Member
Yeah, I think

Seems a bit short-sighted to not fit these new ones with tripcocks then - reduces versatility...

Does that the mean the weekly Calvert 'binliner' train goes down the Princes Risborough branch to Aylesbury? I always imagined it went down the Metropolitan line, but if a tripcock is needed, that would seem unlikely.

Voyager 2093

I think the 172s will have Tripcocks fitted, it makes sense to have them fitted don't believe what wikipedia says. Look at the 168s they weren't intended for use on the Aylesbury Line via Harrow they were built for the London to Birmingham/Kidderminster services and vice versa but they were fitted with Tripcocks just in case they needed to be used on the Aylesbury Line via Harrow and now there is at least one 168 diagram a day on the Aylesbury Line via Harrow. Or standing in for a failed 165 which has happened in the past.

But we never know until its officially confirmed.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Does that the mean the weekly Calvert 'binliner' train goes down the Princes Risborough branch to Aylesbury? I always imagined it went down the Metropolitan line, but if a tripcock is needed, that would seem unlikely.

All the freight weaves itself between the bubble car on the Princes Risborough to Aylesbury section.

RPM

Established Member
Yes, 168s are tripcock fitted, as is the water jet unit 960301.

The rumour doing the rounds at Aylesbury is that the 172s can't be tripcock fitted because the lightwieght bogie design doesn't have anywhere the tripcock could be mounted on.

In theory there's no reason a 172 couldn't work over the Met provided it was coupled to a leading 165 or 168 but I doubt it will happen very often.

Access to Aylesbury Depot can be achieved via Princes Risborough, the same way the Wrexham sets use to get there now.

DjU

But unlike the 378s at least they have a proper seating layout (transverse 2+2 seats, as opposed to the longitudinal seating of the 378s), so fewer passengers will have to stand...

On the other hand, I'd have thought TfL would have specified longitudinal seating given that the 378s have them, or maybe TfL didn't have much control over the specification for the 172s.

The reasoning behind them having standard seating would most likely be that (in the grand scheme of things) the units aren't intended to be on the GOBLIN for too long.

If any proposed/planned/pie in the sky electrification infill on the line happens, they can just be given back to the ROSCO and cascaded.
If they had the interior of the 378, it could limit there future deployment.

Dolive22

As I understand it, a tripcock is a device used by London Underground to stop trains passing signals at danger. It is a plate that it struck by a raised peice of metal when a signal is passed at danger. The piece of metal is held up by a spring, and held down by the force from a motor when it is safe to pass.

If you need more certainty or more specifics, there is at least one LU apprentice on here and I think a couple of LU drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.