• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltley 1394

Chiltern class 172 with be used on Marylebone to High Wycombe local services only, the idea being with there fast acceleration they will keep out of the way of the fast birmingham's. They will not be allowed over the met line between Marylebone and Aylesbury due to not being fitted with tripcocks, the new bogie on the 172 has not room to fit the tripcock beam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Voyager 2093

Chiltern class 172 with be used on Marylebone to High Wycombe local services only, the idea being with there fast acceleration they will keep out of the way of the fast birmingham's. They will not be allowed over the met line between Marylebone and Aylesbury due to not being fitted with tripcocks, the new bogie on the 172 has not room to fit the tripcock beam.

We've already discussed this and actually the Chiltern 172s will be used on the Marylebone to Gerrards Cross Stoppers.;)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I've always thought the 22Xs have a very Mk3 like ride to them. They arn't perfect, no train is under all conditions, but not bad either. Ride is pretty subjective too, some people like it nice and smooth, others like it a bit firmer.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I find the ride on the 22X classes much too firm for my liking! Though EMTs 222s don't have it nearly so bad as the 220s and 221s. I'd much rather have a long journey on a 170 than the "Voyagers" I'm forced to put up with semi regularly, the Turbos are much more my style confort wise.

Glad to see that the 172s are finally rolling off the production line, it had gone very quiet newswise regarding them recently, I thought they'd just been forgotten! Can't wait to see the London Midland ones on the Stratford and Stourbridge lines, I think the 150s in their current condition are starting to get a bit past it.

And yes, checked the platform 5 DMU book and the 168s are indeed fitted with tripcocks.

Old Hill Bank

Yeh bring on the LM units, it will be interesting to see how these new MTU's and mechanical transmission cope with old hill and the lickey.
As implied previously in this thread the 150's we have on the Snow Hill lines are in need of some serious TLC and I hope for the sake of Northern and GW travellers they get some!!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Can't see a 172 going up the Lickey unless diverted. They should be fine up Old Hill, even the 70s are getting to grips with it now !! dragging 1800 tonnes up it when the best a 66 could manage was about 1200. The 172s are doing their mileage accumilation work on the Stratford lines in late summer/early autumn.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yeh bring on the LM units, it will be interesting to see how these new MTU's and mechanical transmission cope with old hill and the lickey.
As implied previously in this thread the 150's we have on the Snow Hill lines are in need of some serious TLC and I hope for the sake of Northern and GW travellers they get some!!

The Zf will be most interesting - it could all go horribly wrong...!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Euro Desiros have a similar setup (though IIRC they use MAN engines) so the technology is in service

route:oxford

Established Member
Can't see a 172 going up the Lickey unless diverted. They should be fine up Old Hill, even the 70s are getting to grips with it now !! dragging 1800 tonnes up it when the best a 66 could manage was about 1200. The 172s are doing their mileage accumilation work on the Stratford lines in late summer/early autumn.

Stratford, Warwickshire or Stratford, Greater London?

Both could be sensible...

Old Hill Bank

Still struggling to understand why 100MPH trains for a mainly 60/75MPH railway and the Stratford line mileage shake downs will only get them into 3rd gear?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Stratford, Warwickshire or Stratford, Greater London?

Both could be sensible...

As Tyseley (thier home depot) is a the start of the Stratford upon Avon line I think we can all safely jump to a conclusion on this one.

RobShipway

Established Member
Admiitedly wikipedia is not always correct, but some of the class 172 trains will be limited to 75mph while others will be 100mph as per the details below:

172/0 and 172/1: 75 mph (120 km/h)
172/2 and 172/3 - 100 mph (160 km/h

The 172/0 & 172/1 trains are for Chiltern.
172/2 & 172/3 are for LM.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any advantage to limiting your trains to a slower speed?

Does this save on equipment/ testing etc? Or make them cheaper to build?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any advantage to limiting your trains to a slower speed?
Lower gearing and thus faster acceleration I should imagine being the primary advantage.

Established Member

Does this save on equipment/ testing etc? Or make them cheaper to build?

It'll be to do with the gearing; having a lower top speed means quicker acceleration and vice versa.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah it's all to do with the gearing, as has been said, lower max speed allows for a gear ratio that gives a quicker acceleration.

So I agree with Old Hill Bank that it does seem unusual that the LM 172s are 100mph when they are going to be running regular stop local services with line speeds of no more than 75mph anyway. 75mph would have been much more sensible.

And I really do hope that the LM 150s get a decent refub before they go into service with Northern and GWT.

MCR247

Established Member
I was wondering what was different, they don't have contour lines round the edge!

Fincra5

Established Member
What contour lines? I must have never noticed any on the normal turbostar :D

MCR247

Established Member
What contour lines? I must have never noticed any on the normal turbostar :D

Look closely here
4215189435_19d367c492.jpg

Pumbaa

Established Member
I'd hazard a guess at that being a camera; the smaller LED lamps will turn Red for when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.