• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitesse

The LOROL 172's will not be equipped with a Tripcock

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bastiaan

You got a source for that? It goes against everything we know about them.
According tot Wikipedia (link) and The Railway Centre (link) the Class 172/0 and /1 LOROL and Chiltern sets will have 75 mph maximum speed. The /2 and /3 sets for LM will have a max speed of 100 mph, front end gangway connections and mechanical transmission.

ukrob

Established Member
According tot Wikipedia (link) and The Railway Centre (link) the Class 172/0 and /1 LOROL and Chiltern sets will have 75 mph maximum speed. The /2 and /3 sets for LM will have a max speed of 100 mph, front end gangway connections and mechanical transmission.

Indeed - thats why I'm asking why "hick" is claiming otherwise and if they have a source for it :)

vitesse

There no need for them to,they wont be running on LU Tracks. They will form Barking - Gospel Oak services and vice versa.

Not entirely true, we have made ECS movements on the Watford DC line with them to Camden Road via Primrose Hill, however there is no requirement as such as most signals on the DC route are also equipped with TPWS.

Just to clarify they arnt LU tracks, they are NR and LUL uses them (working to NR rules), signalling is handled from NR boxes for the DC from Queens Park onwards (Wembley, Willesden suburban panel) and the NLL from Gunnersbury Jn to Richmond (Richmond box).

Last edited:

hick

Indeed - thats why I'm asking why "hick" is claiming otherwise and if they have a source for it :)

Internal sources within Chiltern have indicated that is what Adrian Shooter has said. I suppose it makes sense with EG3 making much of the South of the route 100mph even if they are destined primarily for mainline stoppers.

GospelOak117

wow great retro seat pattern. brings back memories of the 1970's stacked bricks pattern used on LU D and 1983 stock and most london buses until the late 90's. Very tidy looking DMU's its just a shame that their stay on the line may be short lived if electrification is given the go ahead :(

fgwrich

Established Member
The lorol 172's will not be equipped with a Tripcock
There no need for them to,they wont be running on LU Tracks. They will form Barking - Gospel Oak services and vice versa.

Even if they were required to have tripcocks fitted it would be an interesting task - Thanks to this oh so wonderfull Bombardier 'Eco Flex' bogie the 172s will be using...

And we all know where the Eco Flex bogie is currently used...

You guessed it, if your used to the c*ap ride quility of the 220s & 222s then youll soon get used to the 172s...Because the 'Eco Flex' bogie is the same rancid flaming bogie as fitted to the 172s!

Suppose itll make for an intersting ride in dismal weather! The Lorol 378s seem pretty poor at breaking in wet weather so something with that type of bogie...i can just imagine the sound of a thudding 172 right now...with a Wheelflat!

Also intersting is the choice of 2+2 seating for LOROL - Odd for a 2 car unit to be replacing a 2 Car unit with 3+2 Seating in london, tis normally the other way round...Perhaps theyve finnaly managed to understand that ' Humans' will be using them, and not crabs (378s)

I note also that its the same seats used in Chilterns 165 Refurb aswell! Quite tall arn't they?!

THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD...

Fincra5

Established Member
I was on a class 220 and 221 yesterday to York from Sheffield, and back. I felt the ride quality was fine. It was smooth and comfortable.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Even if they were required to have tripcocks fitted it would be an interesting task - Thanks to this oh so wonderfull Bombardier 'Eco Flex' bogie the 172s will be using...

And we all know where the Eco Flex bogie is currently used...

You guessed it, if your used to the c*ap ride quility of the 220s & 222s then youll soon get used to the 172s...Because the 'Eco Flex' bogie is the same rancid flaming bogie as fitted to the 172s!

They don't. They use an earlier version, the B2000, which has since evolved. This new bogie is forming the basis of their Thameslink bid, and all future stock bids. FYI, the B2000 is widely recognised as one of the best bogies ever produced - the ride quality on 220s and 222s is far superior to that of Mk4 and Mk3s.

I note also that its the same seats used in Chilterns 165 Refurb aswell! Quite tall arn't they?!

Same seats used in 377s, 375s, 507s and 508s.

DjU

Also intersting is the choice of 2+2 seating for LOROL - Odd for a 2 car unit to be replacing a 2 Car unit with 3+2 Seating in london, tis normally the other way round...Perhaps theyve finnaly managed to understand that ' Humans' will be using them, and not crabs (378s).

They technically aren't replacing 3+2 seating.

I believe LOROL took the 3rd seat out of the 150's about two years ago, however the two units at FGW do still have 3+2 as they left LOROL before this happened.

the sniper

Established Member

The 220's have a number of faults, but I wouldn't have said the ride quality is really one of them, tbh.

devon_metro

Established Member
I was on a class 220 and 221 yesterday to York from Sheffield, and back. I felt the ride quality was fine. It was smooth and comfortable.

Agreed, ride quality on the 220s is probably the only good thing about them!

MCR247

Established Member
But In my experience the bogies are loud on the outside when at low speed I think

MCR247

Established Member
Most people don't tend to travel on the outside of trains ;)

I know, I was just saying In my experience voyager bogies are quite loud
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thats probably the brakes squealing.
I thought the same 90019, where does he think we are, India?

I know the difference between brakes and bogies :|

MCR247

Established Member
I don't know how to describe it, I'll try and find a video :)

Pumbaa

Established Member
I know what Marcus is on about - and I agree that at low speeds the bogie doesn't ride terribly well over pointwork. A very distinctive knocking sound can be heard.

MCR247

Established Member
I know what Marcus is on about - and I agree that at low speeds the bogie doesn't ride terribly well over pointwork. A very distinctive knocking sound can be heard.

Yeah thats it

They don't. They use an earlier version, the B2000, which has since evolved. This new bogie is forming the basis of their Thameslink bid, and all future stock bids. FYI, the B2000 is widely recognised as one of the best bogies ever produced - the ride quality on 220s and 222s is far superior to that of Mk4 and Mk3s.

I think you mean B5000.... and ride quality better than a Mk III??? Please!!!

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think you mean B5000.... and ride quality better than a Mk III??? Please!!!

Ta for that. Earlier today thinking back on it, I thought it might it have been 4000, but I'll take your word!

And yes, definitely superior. Without a shadow of a doubt. In my opinion, the only ride that surpasses that of the B5000 are that of the Pendolinos.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I agree on the smoothness of the Voyagers - am I right in thinking it's based on a BR design?

I agree on the smoothness of the Voyagers - am I right in thinking it's based on a BR design?

No, the B5000 design was developed by RFS in Doncaster, which was then acquired by Bombardier. RFS also designed and supplied the bogies for the Class 323 EMU, which was built by Hunslet TPL.

The team at RFS was widely recognised as being the best team of bogie designers in the industry and it was a smart move by Bombardier to acquire, thus depriving the rival train builders access to these products.

Wyvern

Established Member
No, the B5000 design was developed by RFS in Doncaster, which was then acquired by Bombardier. RFS also designed and supplied the bogies for the Class 323 EMU, which was built by Hunslet TPL.

The team at RFS was widely recognised as being the best team of bogie designers in the industry and it was a smart move by Bombardier to acquire, thus depriving the rival train builders access to these products.

I thought FRS had been taken over by WABTEC not Bombardier.

Also FLEXX Eco is the new name of the B5000 bogie and is made in Norway.

I thought FRS had been taken over by WABTEC not Bombardier.

Also FLEXX Eco is the new name of the B5000 bogie and is made in Norway.

The management of Doncaster Wagon Works acquired it from BRB in 1987, called it RFS Industries and developed a bogie design and manufacture capability, with a highly skilled core team. It went into receivership in the chaos of privatisation in 1993, and the order book (mainly the Piccadilly Line '73 Stock refurbishment) and the bogie designs (including what became the B5000 design) were acquired by Bombardier Prorail and everything moved from Doncaster to Horbury, Wakefield.

The residual management of RFS Industries bought what was left from the receiver and created RFS (E). This is what Wabtec eventually acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.