• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
By 2022, the hope is this will be halved to about 8. The requirement for 22 additional DMUs at Northern will (most logically) be achieved by taking WMTs 23 170s once the new 196s are in service.
I thought the WMR 170's were going to EMR once the 196''s are introduced?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
This is mere speculation of where I believe they could be ideal so here goes and like everyone else I’m thinking local to myself.

They’d be good units for Leeds - Nottingham, Leeds - Carlisle and Carlisle - Middlesbrough connect. These could interwork over the course of a week or so for maintenance flexibility. Would give more appropriate units for the services than planned (195’s for Notts and 158’s for the other routes) and could help with a cascade of units. Replace the god awful 155’s with 158’s and cascade other 158’s to routes such as Leeds - Lancaster/Morecambe or Leeds - Southport replacing the wholly inappropriate 150’s from this route. The 195’s released from the Nottingham services could also work more class appropriate commuter routes replacing 150’s.

The 175’s like all early Alstom products had a torrid introduction mainly, I believe, due to lack of maintenance supply support in the early days. However, the 175’s along with the 458, 460 and 334 fleets ended up having much work done on them and were amongst the most reliable units in the country. Sadly the 180’s have chopped and changed operators and remain a real problem, especially the Hull Trains units. If my speculative idea came off (which I doubt it will) the 175’s could be based at Heaton alongside the GC 180’s and this could be beneficial.

All the 175’s need is a thorough refurbishment. The seats are comfortable, the layout is good, the luggage space is more than ample but they have mainly 20 year old trim which needs refreshing. A great unit which needs a future.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This is mere speculation of where I believe they could be ideal so here goes and like everyone else I’m thinking local to myself.

They’d be good units for Leeds - Nottingham, Leeds - Carlisle and Carlisle - Middlesbrough connect. These could interwork over the course of a week or so for maintenance flexibility. Would give more appropriate units for the services than planned (195’s for Notts and 158’s for the other routes) and could help with a cascade of units. Replace the god awful 155’s with 158’s and cascade other 158’s to routes such as Leeds - Lancaster/Morecambe or Leeds - Southport replacing the wholly inappropriate 150’s from this route. The 195’s released from the Nottingham services could also work more class appropriate commuter routes replacing 150’s.

The 175’s like all early Alstom products had a torrid introduction mainly, I believe, due to lack of maintenance supply support in the early days. However, the 175’s along with the 458, 460 and 334 fleets ended up having much work done on them and were amongst the most reliable units in the country. Sadly the 180’s have chopped and changed operators and remain a real problem, especially the Hull Trains units. If my speculative idea came off (which I doubt it will) the 175’s could be based at Heaton alongside the GC 180’s and this could be beneficial.

All the 175’s need is a thorough refurbishment. The seats are comfortable, the layout is good, the luggage space is more than ample but they have mainly 20 year old trim which needs refreshing. A great unit which needs a future.

A refurbishment of the 175s has started with 175002 in the new Alstom Depot at Ditton. As Alstom are responsible for their maintenance they would have to be based a long way from Heaton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.