• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Please tell me they have a 240V supply at the very least! I couldn’t be doing without my travel mug and a kettle.

Established Member
Please tell me they have a 240V supply at the very least! I couldn’t be doing without my travel mug and a kettle.
Looking at the 38 stock group, they seem to have done some roof repairs and painted some extra headlights on the front, so unable to see if they have power or not.

I am aware that this item is to do with 315 withdrawals, but I cant help by thinking that as this unit was in an operational condition, why has it been moved to a middle of nowhere for preservation. Knowing our friends at Abelio, LO and/or MTR, surely this unit should have been kept in a mainline condition and run on specials using a collective of operators?!? preserving a unit in the Wales miles away is such a shame. I know a few discussions should have been had before sending!

the unit will deteriorate quickly (315 leak well around body end) and with no heat, the interiors will become stuffy and mouldy. I saw the 508 units and Eastleigh when stored and they were a sight for sore eyes!

This unit should be where it was intended under the wires keeping warm.

Razorblades

Knowing our friends at Abelio, LO and/or MTR, surely this unit should have been kept in a mainline condition and run on specials using a collective of operators?!?

These operators are under the DfT cosh and won't be frittering cash away looking after 'pet' units that have very niche enthusiast appeal.

Established Member
I am aware that this item is to do with 315 withdrawals, but I cant help by thinking that as this unit was in an operational condition, why has it been moved to a middle of nowhere for preservation. Knowing our friends at Abelio, LO and/or MTR, surely this unit should have been kept in a mainline condition and run on specials using a collective of operators?!? preserving a unit in the Wales miles away is such a shame. I know a few discussions should have been had before sending!

the unit will deteriorate quickly (315 leak well around body end) and with no heat, the interiors will become stuffy and mouldy. I saw the 508 units and Eastleigh when stored and they were a sight for sore eyes!

Ilford had a pet unit for many years. They were told to get rid of it, it went from a shed road to somewhere in Anglia, is kept in a field and is rotting as far as I know.

Established Member
Don’t disagree with the sentimentality, BR managed it with 306017, which even survived into the privatised world with First Great Eastern, but those were simply different days. Sentimentality doesn’t pay the bills these days.

As I understand it, numerous discussions were held before 315856 ended up having to go west of Swansea.

If this were Switzerland you may have a chance, but EMU preservation is indeed of niche appeal. Look at the Glasgow 303 unit at Bo’ness which I‘d argue is more iconic yet just resides in the shed.

Ilford had a pet unit for many years. They were told to get rid of it, it went from a shed road to somewhere in Anglia, is kept in a field and is rotting as far as I know.
306017 went from Ilford to a field at MOD Kineton near Banbury. Then on to Eastleigh for asbestos removal, before being rescued back to Chappel and Wakes Colne by the guy that maintained it at Ilford. But with so much else to manage at Chappel the unit did deteriorate until the National Railway Museum launched a £30,000 appeal for its restoration. Funds raised, it was moved to Shildon in October 2018 where it is now being restored in BR blue.

Last edited:

Established Member
306017 went from Ilford to a field at MOD Kineton near Banbury. Then on to Eastleigh for asbestos removal, before being rescued back to Chappel and Wakes Colne by the guy that maintained it at Ilford. But with so much else to manage at Chappel the unit did deteriorate until the National Railway Museum launched a £30,000 appeal for its restoration. Funds raised, it was moved to Shildon in October 2018 where it is now being restored in BR blue.
That's good news at least! Thanks for the update. It left Ilford shortly before I started on the GE

Razorblades

837 and 857's journey to their demise? It also says 400 tonnes instead of the previous moves being 315? Does that mean they will put coaches or something on each end, not sure what they're called but the ones they use to help with braking issues?

Do we not think someone was being a bit playful when they quoted '315' tonnes previously?

3973EXL

Established Member
Last edited:

The final 315s have left Ilford for the last time and now leaving the GE …. There closes a chapter of history

I would probably say it depends on how much work 315856 will require before running again

The_Train

Established Member
I would probably say it depends on how much work 315856 will require before running again
The concern with this unit is the fact that the group are moving a unit that has very recently been operating on the mainline (so presumably is very much serviceable) to a heritage line that seems to be in the middle of nowhere. I have been and remain very supportive of what the group are doing, but this move does seem a bit strange if they want it back on the mainline

315856 could have continued running with a competent maintainer and an operator with a safety case from a mainline connected 25kV depot.
However 315856 is now off the power at a preserved railway and the priority for the group will be to stop it deteriorating from as withdrawn serviceable condition, unlike many groups who are trying to bring withdrawn with faults locos and stock back to working order.

I wish them all luck in their venture.

Established Member
The concern with this unit is the fact that the group are moving a unit that has very recently been operating on the mainline (so presumably is very much serviceable) to a heritage line that seems to be in the middle of nowhere. I have been and remain very supportive of what the group are doing, but this move does seem a bit strange if they want it back on the mainline
A case of any port in a storm. Nowhere nearer to home could oblige it seems, certainly not in the timescales required.

315856 could have continued running with a competent maintainer and an operator with a safety case from a mainline connected 25kV depot.
Plus a few other rather important components, none of which come for free in todays world.

I do hope moving the preserved unit to West of Swansea doesn‘t become a case of ’out of sight - out of mind’. While the 315s built up a minor cult following in their final year, I doubt many travelled from Llanelli to ride on one.

But to end on a positive note, at least one has been saved. The predecessor 306017 has survived due to the dedication of a few individuals, despite a few bumps along the way, so hopefully 315856 can emulate that.

Established Member
However 315856 is now off the power at a preserved railway and the priority for the group will be to stop it deteriorating from as withdrawn serviceable condition, unlike many groups who are trying to bring withdrawn with faults locos and stock back to working order.

I wish them all luck in their venture.
The group are saying they will to restore it to full working as built condition.

We also shouldn't forget that the road move hasn't taken place yet.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I doubt many travelled from Llanelli to ride on one.

Oh, I don't know. Some years ago I exchanged a few words with some spotters on the end of Bethnal Green platform, and they had travelled over from Wales to see the Liverpool Street suburban scene.

The group are saying they will to restore it to full working as built condition.

I'll be watching their progress with interest, but I think I'd rather they be a bit more realistic in their aims. Unless someone was rummaging through the skips out the back of Litchurch Lane around 15 years ago, they won't have the parts necessary to achieve this.

Established Member
Unless someone was rummaging through the skips out the back of Litchurch Lane around 15 years ago, they won't have the parts necessary to achieve this.
And those who point this out get banned from their Facebook group!

O L Leigh

Established Member
And those who point this out get banned from their Facebook group!

In which case, I wish good luck to all involved, both to those running the show and any who might be thinking of lending their support. :s

Why can I keep hearing Pte Fraser’s voice going around in my head…?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well we can probably wrap this up now that they’ve gone.

Thanks everyone :)

DBS92042

Established Member
Thread reopened for @DBS92042 to ask a question.
Thank you

I've seen a photo recently of 315853 at CF Booths however it's undated so unsure of when it was taken. Is anyone able to confirm if 315853 is indeed still intact at CF Booths?

Status
Not open for further replies.