• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

southern442

Established Member
This may be the wrong place to ask but is there any chance of any of these units being preserved?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Always
1619705884405.png 1619705919700.png

Flood protection reefs of the Essex coast for @class321

Problem is if nobody wants even really nice historic units, letting them rot away, there no hoped for these!

southern442

Established Member
:lol: that is very true!

Perhaps in better days the Electric Railway Museum could've taken one on. In my opinion they definitely are historic, they've worked in so many different places and were of course the first units in a very long and successful line of Mk3-derived EMUs.

DustyBin

Established Member
As reddragon said buying it is the easy bit. You need somewhere for it to go, then you have to get it there and then you need to preserve and protect.

I think best future (if there is one) for these units in preservation would be with an EMU equivalent of the AC Loco Group. They'd need to be kept on the mainline and used for tours, charters etc. and earn their keep. I'm not aware of such an organisation existing unfortunately.

I'd love to see some examples of MK3 based EMUs preserved but you only need to look at what happened with MK1 and MK2 based AC EMUs to get an idea of the future, sadly.

gallafent

I'd love to see some examples of MK3 based EMUs preserved but you only need to look at what happened with MK1 and MK2 based AC EMUs to get an idea of the future, sadly.
Yes, it's a chunk of my youth that was spent travelling on 310s, then 317s, then 321s, ……… will be sad to think that there won't be any of any of them preserved!

Bikeman78

Established Member
I think best future (if there is one) for these units in preservation would be with an EMU equivalent of the AC Loco Group. They'd need to be kept on the mainline and used for tours, charters etc. and earn their keep. I'm not aware of such an organisation existing unfortunately.

The EPB preservation group has aspirations to get one or more of its EMUs back on the third rail at some point but who knows when it will happen. Presumably the idea is to put a Motor Luggage Van on each end to mitigate agianst health & safety concerns. Plus they'll go like greased lightning with the extra power.

As regards 317s, I'm not expecting any to be preserved, hence making the most of them now. It's a pity the GEML turn has gone so no chance of 100 mph any more.

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
The EPB preservation group has aspirations to get one or more of its EMUs back on the third rail at some point but who knows when it will happen. Presumably the idea is to put a Motor Luggage Van on each end to mitigate agianst health & safety concerns. Plus they'll go like geased lightning with the extra power.

As regards 317s, I'm not expecting any to be preserved, hence making the most of them now. It's a pity the GEML turn has gone so no chance of 100 mph any more.

I follow the EPB Preservation Group and enjoyed some MLV haulage on the East Kent Railway a few years ago. They’ve done really well to achieve what they have so far, it would be great to see one of their units on the main line one day!

adc82140

Established Member
One of the exLO 317/8s was dragged to Eastleigh a while back. Any particular reason why just this one went early?

Ewan M

One of the exLO 317/8s was dragged to Eastleigh a while back. Any particular reason why just this one went early?
That would have been 317890 and it had been stored at Wembley for a while. Sadly has since been cut up at Eastleigh

Established Member

Bikeman78

Established Member
According to a Facebook post I've seen, the units were 340/883/338.
317338 and 317883 have not worked for a few weeks. On the other hand, 317340 was out all day on Tuesday attached to 317729. Odd that PRM units are going in the bin whilst 317/7 carry on in service.

Ewan M

Nit long until the 317/6s are rendered extinct. Wonder how long it’ll be before 662 makes its last trip?

ScotGG

Established Member
How many now scrapped and how many remain? Can't see a full list. Thanks