• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

Established Member
Personally I don’t think Greater Anglia really care - can imagine as long as they get their new trains in service, that’s all that matters to them.
Well that is rather more important ;)

But lets also face it - plenty of other TOCs HAVE made more of a fuss of retiring their old trains.
What fuss would you want? The last train was at least advertised as such. GA do have a few people who would be keen to have done a bit more but the day job is all consuming at the moment.

Anyway just watched the 22.12 Liverpool St to Hertford East depart from Liverpool St. All good humoured with just the occasional person acting their shoe size rather than their age ;) Guesstimate about 60-80 enthusiasts out for the event, and yes under the pantograph of 343 was the prime spot for some.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milo T.K

Well that is rather more important ;)

What fuss would you want? The last train was at least advertised as such. GA do have a few people who would be keen to have done a bit more but the day job is all consuming at the moment.

Anyway just watched the 22.12 Liverpool St to Hertford East depart from Liverpool St. All good humoured with just the occasional person acting their shoe size rather than their age ;) Guesstimate about 60-80 enthusiasts out for the event, and yes under the pantograph of 343 was the prime spot for some.
Eh well let them act how they want it's the last one. Well back to normality now

prod_pep

Established Member
An enjoyable evening riding the 317s for the last time. Everything seemed good-natured and harmless, although some of the 'normals' aboard the last runs weren't overly impressed. One thing, though: one of the first class seats in 508 was damaged; I hope that wasn't an enthusiast trying a bit of 'looting'.

343's motor coach is indeed a great sound, worthy of the title 'beastly'. I made sure that was my last 317 ride.

kingston_toon

We did the last rounder from Liverpool Street at 2212 and back from Hertford East at 2309. Was chatting to a regular passenger and his wife sat behind us who were both quite interested in what was going on, and in wider transport planning issues. Also good to see a lot of younger enthusiasts out too - they are the future of our hobby.

Pic of the final ECS working out of Liverpool Street just after midnight. Nice to see a class 37 on the adjacent platform!

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_000456.jpg
    IMG_20220717_000456.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Roger B

Seems unlikely. No practical use to any preserved railway and not particularly attractive for mainline running. Suspect the driving car from 317345 will represent 317s in preservation.
What's the story with the TC from 317345, 71621. Your post #596 stated: Reported on the wnxx forum as having been taken to 'The Depot, Caxton'. Is it preserved, being used by a non-rail related commercial enterprise, or what? Many thanks

Kite159

Veteran Member
Personally I don’t think Greater Anglia really care - can imagine as long as they get their new trains in service, that’s all that matters to them.
They must have cared somehow to put on a pair of 317s all day instead of the usual 720 for Hertford East services. If they didn't care about the 317s then they would have had a quiet & unannounced retirement.

With maybe just a little press release after the day saying "Greater Anglia says farewell to the 317s as all services on the West Anglia line are now in the hands of new trains"

Bikeman78

Established Member
An enjoyable evening riding the 317s for the last time. Everything seemed good-natured and harmless, although some of the 'normals' aboard the last runs weren't overly impressed. One thing, though: one of the first class seats in 508 was damaged; I hope that wasn't an enthusiast trying a bit of 'looting'.

343's motor coach is indeed a great sound, worthy of the title 'beastly'. I made sure that was my last 317 ride.
Curious that they ran the units round each other. 317508 was leading out of Liverpool Street the week before.

Plenty of videos on Youtube so the motor thrash will live on. I like this one of 317343+317501.

D365

Veteran Member
Final scheduled day in service - 2O20 arriving at Waltham Cross this morning complete with headboard.
Nice touch from the driver over the PA announcing that this was the final day in service for the 317's.
Very low key corporate communications from Greater Anglia announcing the end. Nothing seen at stations or handouts.
Other than a handful of Twitter messages, and a photoshoot at KGX, the 365s didn't get a send-off either.

Class360/1

Other than a handful of Twitter messages, and a photoshoot at KGX, the 365s didn't get a send-off either.
Aye. all they got was a headboard and another unit added due to high demand.

Whereas, GA listed all the diagrams in advance; gave permission for the CEPG to put up and sell posters and a headboard.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
GA had a fitter at Liverpool Street yesterday to check over the 317s. Overheard him talking to a colleague saying he was checking the over between runs because it's be pretty embarrassing if they failed on the last day.

I was on the 15:09 from Hertford, lots of enthusiasts in the motor car of 343.

Wivenswold

Established Member
The 321s will definitely get a big GA send-off as it represents the completion of the big project. And of all the classes that have left the Greater Anglia area 321301-321330 have been serving Essex passengers for 35 years, the most of any of the classes replaced thus far. There would be scope for some good railtours too as they're cleared to run on the WCML South, ECML to Leeds, GA to Kings Lynn (though not in regular pax service without guard), GA to Norwich and, I believe even the LTS.

But yeah, 317 farewell was fan effort which is a bit disappointing.

StephenHunter

Established Member
I went on the 12:12 service from LST - got recognised by enthusiasts who know me from my heritage railway. The vandalism was a bit of a concern - the 315 Preservation Society aren't happy about as they feel it might endanger a farewell for that class.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
the 315 Preservation Society aren't happy about as they feel it might endanger a farewell for that class.
The 315s need one even less than the 317. They’re horrible insignificant units which have some how managed to crawl on and work for a “brand new” railway.

DustyBin

Established Member
The 315s need one even less than the 317. They’re horrible insignificant units which have some how managed to crawl on and work for a “brand new” railway.

They’ve never been a favourite unit of mine, although having grown up with them my interest spiked following the withdrawal announcement. I wouldn’t say they’re horrible though by any means, and probably no more insignificant than any other 70s or 80s EMU. They’ve done their (rather mundane) job for forty years and done it well; that’s worthy of appreciation in my view.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They’ve never been a favourite unit of mine, although having grown up with them my interest spiked following the withdrawal announcement. I wouldn’t say they’re horrible though by any means, and probably no more insignificant than any other 70s or 80s EMU. They’ve done their (rather mundane) job for forty years and done it well; that’s worthy of appreciation in my view.
It rather dampens my view of unit when the seatback is so short not even the top half of my back is leaning on something - and I’m 5’’11 so hardly a skyscraper - but I’ll agree to disagree for the sake of not wibbling about 315s in the 317 thread. :)

I saw a seat seat head rest missing quite early on although vandalism has been quite common over the years on these units.

There wasn’t a farewell tour but GA advertised their final scheduled diagram while I’m sure that they had a 720 available for the day. It gave me and others an opportunity to have a final trip on these old units. I think we should be grateful for that.

Yes, I travelled quite early on under the pantograph on 343.

DustyBin

Established Member
It rather dampens my view of unit when the seatback is so short not even the top half of my back is leaning on something - and I’m 5’’11 so hardly a skyscraper - but I’ll agree to disagree for the sake of not wibbling about 315s in the 317 thread. :)

Fair enough and yes the low back seats aren’t great, but they’re actually not uncomfortable (to me anyway).

Foxxle

I saw a seat seat head rest missing quite early on although vandalism has been quite common over the years on these units.
I saw many more than 1 seat headrest gone. A couple of seats were just on the floor of the train too - it's sad that this happens and in a way discourages the whole last day/railtour event happening elsewhere

warwickshire

On Moderation
I saw many more than 1 seat headrest gone. A couple of seats were just on the floor of the train too - it's sad that this happens and in a way discourages the whole last day/railtour event happening elsewhere
Another issue. Most likely now is in the next two weeks. Abeillo Anglia most likely unofficially could have run a 317 at very short notice if short of 745 or 720.
So would have possible for another run.
However due to this happening.
By a few mindless individuals. Have spoilt this slight chance from happening and most likely have denied other enthusiasts who couldn't have made Saturday. A possible another run.
So thoughtless. Abeillo Anglia most likely now will probably send the 317s to Ely. And not run them again. As soon as possible. And shortform other services.
Also causing other problems for other customers. Who will now experience. Some overcrowding. They would not have suffered otherwise.
Why do some mindless individuals. Spoil it for others

People taking seat backs and other bits.

There wasn’t a farewell tour but GA advertised their final scheduled diagram while I’m sure that they had a 720 available for the day. It gave me and others an opportunity to have a final trip on these old units. I think we should be grateful for that.

Yes, I travelled quite early on under the pantograph on 343.
Really really bothers me how some rail enthusiasts are so selfish and disrespectful of railway property, let alone the law. Scribbling "farewell" graffiti wherever they please and literally dismantling / possibly even breaking off bits of memorabilia to take home with them. They treat it like drawing in the sand on the beach and taking shells and pebbles home with them. Don't seem to care in the slightest that they're causing criminal damage, possibly committing theft depending on what they're doing and at the end of it all, vandalising parts of a passenger environment which fee paying passengers usually expecting at least a minimal level of quality are going to have to travel in. If people want any railway memorabilia, keep an eye out for anything up for sell online from scrapped stock. I'm really not sure what it is with people who do this whether it's that their half-sharp or entitled or both. Either way, they're among the worst in the rail hobby and ruin things for absolutely everyone.

On Moderation

But lets also face it - plenty of other TOCs HAVE made more of a fuss of retiring their old trains.

People taking seat backs and other bits.
For those wondering why TOCs might not be willing to make an effort/don't care/whatever, perhaps the fact that there's always some idiots out on such workings when they do run helps explain it? Why would they set themselves up for the anti-social behaviour and vandalism - go figure, as they say.

D365

Veteran Member
So thoughtless. Abeillo Anglia most likely now will probably send the 317s to Ely. And not run them again. As soon as possible. And shortform other services.
Also causing other problems for other customers. Who will now experience. Some overcrowding. They would not have suffered otherwise.
Why do some mindless individuals. Spoil it for others
Have the "enthusiasts" really caused enough damage that the units cannot be operated again?

Class360/1

Honestly a small minority of people in the hobby just have to ruin everything.

This is why we can’t have nice things in life.

@D365 if they have taken stuff like headrests, depot staff will have to find the necessary stuff to replace it (which is easy to do). However, it is unlikely GA would want to spend time and money on.

They probably wouldn’t care about the graffiti though.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Abeillo Anglia most likely now will probably send the 317s to Ely. And not run them again. As soon as possible. And shortform other services.
While I agree it’s wrong and stupid, Greater Anglia planned to do this anyway regardless of the behaviour of some on Saturday.

Railperf

Established Member
Honestly a small minority of people in the hobby just have to ruin everything.

This is why we can’t have nice things in life.

@D365 if they have taken stuff like headrests, depot staff will have to find the necessary stuff to replace it (which is easy to do). However, it is unlikely GA would want to spend time and money on.

They probably wouldn’t care about the graffiti though.
I'm not sure genuine enthusiasts would vandalise a train - even for a bit of memorabilia. That sort of behaviour may well put paid to a 315 or 321 farewell tour unless a path can be found to run a 'special' with specific tickets bought for each leg of the journey. To be fair the 317's have been falling apart for some time and seat cushions - head rests missing or dismantled has been part of the WA experience for some time. Luckily i managed to bag a return to Stansted a week ago - quiet on the way out - but pretty full on the way back.