• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm struggling to get some of the negative comments, looks perfectly fine to me, looks as though not all the lighting may be on as yet, while the moquette is in line with what you would expect from London Transport, and has little to do with the actual train.

Last edited:

TH172341

They look very good - certainly like the exterior design. The interior looks functional, but actually I prefer the style they've adopted to the Class 700s. The 700s look a bit too clinical and exposed bolt heads (I know it's due to functionality). The 345 looks more refined in that respect, and at least the forward/rear facing seats look more of the 379/172 design. Only thing is couldn't the floor have been some wooden effect or something?

Some good pictures here:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ossrail-elizabeth-line-trainset-unveiled.html

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
From that video, it looks like the front bogie is tread braked, whilst the others have the wheel-mounted disk brakes? I would guess that the motor bogies have one type, and trailers the other?

Established Member
TfL gave some dates in recent board papers:
Old Dalby next month,
On network testing Nov 16,
Entry into passenger service in 7 car format May 17,
First 9 car in use April 18.

(On network test location not mentioned but I assume possibly based on Bletchley as per other recent deliveries.)

I'm pretty sure I've seen Ilford mentioned as the base for the on network testing, I'll see if I can find a source for that.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Sorry but I think thats the one of worst interiors for a British train I've ever seen, defiantly the worst TfL operated train. Its too dark, it doesn't look modern and the seating colour is terrible - glad thats not staying. The 700s and S stock interiors are nice and feel fresh, this is depressing. Would have loved if they did do a SNCF Transilien style interior - they are lovely. The best thing about the 345s is the livery. Time will tell if the public will like them as much as the S stock or 700s (I doubt it) and I hope the LO units will be better. The black fronts I need to get used to as well.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Wonder how long it takes for someone to hit the plunger instead of the DRA!

LeeLivery

Established Member
It really does offer a stark contrast to the bright and airy Desiro Cities from Siemens. What remains to be seen is which will be the more reliable!

If the guys in Deutschland are reading this, they're probably laughing.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Oops that should have been GEML! As state above, working out of Ilford initially for testing.

One thing to note was mention of 4x 7 car and 1x 9 car in one of those videos from someone.

They enter service as 7 car first (it's equivalent to 8 x 20m) - platform extensions, new platforms and SDO infrastructure won't be in place initially, but will be in time for the Crossrail core opening, at which point the 7 car units are extended to 9 car.

Established Member
If the guys in Deutschland are reading this, they're probably laughing.

Why it states in one of the articles that the interior colour scheme has been chosen by the customer (TFL) in conjunction with Bombardier as have some of the aspects of the design, so if Siemens had not pulled out and won the contract presumably the colour scheme would have been similar.

Personally I think it makes a change, and I find the interior colour scheme chosen for the 700's to be somewhat cold and austere.

Last edited:

GospelOak117

I love the darker colours of the interior. It makes a change from all the cold white interiors of new stock over the past 10 or so years, some of which appear to get so grubby so quickly (360). I read that TfL chose a darker scheme so as it didn't appear to the passenger that they are sitting in a fridge. Haha that is spot on exacty what being in a 378 feels like. This sure is a contrast to SNCFs new Francilien units running around greater Paris - with all that white and horrid garish colours, I'm definitely preferring our new Aventra already!
Also I hated the idea of trains without yellow fronts - but it does look good with the livery.

class387

Established Member
I love the darker colours of the interior. It makes a change from all the cold white interiors of new stock over the past 10 or so years, some of which appear to get so grubby so quickly (360). I read that TfL chose a darker scheme so as it didn't appear to the passenger that they are sitting in a fridge. Haha that is spot on exacty what being in a 378 feels like. This sure is a contrast to SNCFs new Francilien units running around greater Paris - with all that white and horrid garish colours, I'm definitely preferring our new Aventra already!
Also I hated the idea of trains without yellow fronts - but it does look good with the livery.

Again, I don't know about the 345 interior yet, as it does depend on lighting, moquette, etc. I'm all for darker colours though. However, I have to disagree with you about the Francilien. I think that the colours make the train very welcoming and that the lighting makes the train have less of a 'hospital waiting room' feel. Couple this with decent seating and a good ride quality and it makes a superb commuter train. I'm not saying that I won't like the Aventra, but I already prefer the Francilien to any modern UK commuter train (including the class 700) and struggle to see how the 345 can top it.

Class377/5

Established Member
There's a quote going around stating TfL altered 90% of what the Aventis offered for the class 345.

And the Francillien interior is awesome.

Last edited:

Wivenswold

Established Member
I'm not sure about the interior yet. I think it depends on how the trains are lit - something like that in the Z50000 'Francillien' units of Paris would be good, which does include underseat lighting:

Technicentre_Paris_Nord_-_Joncherolles_-_Interieur_Z_50000_01.jpg

Love that scheme. Class.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Jokes aside that Francillien interior picture reminds me of 321448 :D (For what it's worth I'm one of the few people that didn't find that interior scheme repulsive)

I actually like the 378 interior scheme as well, I don't find it bright and clinical like the 09TS and S-stock, the orange/brown has a 70s/80s vibe about it which is quite different. The 345 interior shown here does a little bit remind me of that, but with a modern colour scheme. I'd have to wait and see it in person - I'd be more than happy to travel on this, compared to a 315 I think the high-back seats with armrests would seem a big improvement. Nonetheless it does seem in stark contrast with the bright environments of metro stock in modern times.

Mordac

Established Member
They look very good - certainly like the exterior design. The interior looks functional, but actually I prefer the style they've adopted to the Class 700s. The 700s look a bit too clinical and exposed bolt heads (I know it's due to functionality). The 345 looks more refined in that respect, and at least the forward/rear facing seats look more of the 379/172 design. Only thing is couldn't the floor have been some wooden effect or something?

Some good pictures here:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ossrail-elizabeth-line-trainset-unveiled.html

I love the hype in that article:
Suggesting the Aventra EMU was 'the best train he'd ever seen', Wild complemented Bombardier on the progress it had made in industrial design and testing over recent years. 'The facilities here in Derby are world-leading now', he said.
If that was really the best train he'd ever seen then I feel sorry for him!

LeeLivery

Established Member
Why it states in one of the articles that the interior colour scheme has been chosen by the customer (TFL) in conjunction with Bombardier as have some of the aspects of the design, so if Siemens had not pulled out and won the contract presumably the colour scheme would have been similar.

Personally I think it makes a change, and I find the interior colour scheme chosen for the 700's to be somewhat cold and austere.

I was actually referring to the reliability!

samuelmorris

Established Member
I love the hype in that article:

If that was really the best train he'd ever seen then I feel sorry for him!

Hyperbole for the press, but bear in mind this will be with context of Metro trains, comparing the units to the likes of ICE trains isn't exactly appropriate :D

Something I noticed about the outside test run video, a distinct absence of the usual Electrostar transformer noise - has the Aventra platform finally introduced a quieter transformer?

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Dedddd
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure about the interior yet. I think it depends on how the trains are lit - something like that in the Z50000 'Francillien' units of Paris would be good, which does include underseat lighting:

Technicentre_Paris_Nord_-_Joncherolles_-_Interieur_Z_50000_01.jpg

My first reaction was WTF?
My second was that is different
My third was that it looks like they adpated their Underground train.

Then I thought about it for a while and realised the seats looked dead uncomfortable and like they had thinnest layers of fabric possible, and were a bit short in height.

But then I really really really want to go on one just for the novelty value of it.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
The seats are actually well padded (for me, anyway) and decent in width thanks to the generous loading guage - they are almost as big as double-deckers. I'm not tall so can't comment on that spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.