• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
A better way of doing it would probably be some audible cue from the door sounders, but I don't imagine that would meet DDA legislation, so perhaps an audio announcement will be necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
A better way of doing it would probably be some audible cue from the door sounders, but I don't imagine that would meet DDA legislation, so perhaps an audio announcement will be necessary.

Another way to do it would be stickers to the effect of "at some stations, you may need to press the button to open the doors" on the doors + announcements to that effect when leaving the core section. Or simply add "doors will automatically open on the * hand side" to station announcements in the core section. The last thing I'd personally want is a return to the audio onslaught of the 458/0s

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Aw, I love the 458 door sound! I miss the old voice going:

“The door buttons are now activated!”

leomartin125

Been doing some digging on Realtime Trains and it seems unlikely that the 345 at Old Oak is going to be based at Maidenhead for testing, especially now it's at Old Oak Common Crossrail Depot.

I have found some paths, which state that commencing 11th December, Crossrail (XR) will operate test trains to Heathrow or Reading as shown:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XR

Also lots of paths to/from Heathrow for XR trains (Crossrail) from 11th December:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XR

Looks like it will officially start testing on 11th December. That's quite a change from start of November as originally planned.

Established Member
All those paths are shown as (Q). Runs if required. All it means is there are paths in the timetable that might be used, or might not.

iphone76

Expect to see a few more 345s in passenger service from Monday associated with the new timetable. I don't have the exact details as a lot of diagrams are modified for a couple of weeks due to the early timetable change - but eyes peeled. Let's hope some of the issues have been resolved so performance doesn't suffer too much.

Malcolmffc

Is the plan that the Class 345s will entirely replace the existing HC 360s from day 1 when it officially starts running in May 2018? Where will the 360s go?

JN114

Established Member
Been doing some digging on Realtime Trains and it seems unlikely that the 345 at Old Oak is going to be based at Maidenhead for testing, especially now it's at Old Oak Common Crossrail Depot.

One day you’ll learn to trust Realtime Trains as far as you can throw it; and give up trying to glean “gen” from it. Until then you are going to be continually disappointed and reminded at every juncture that it is not an authoritative source of train running information. It is not what operator X want to run on day Y. It is a snapshot of the timetable database. That is all. I could get a daily path from Reading TCD to West Drayton Goods Loop timed for an HST put into it at work tomorrow and I’d almost guarantee there’d be a thread on here within hours with members telling all and sundry what Great Western are planning to do with it.

Where will the 360s go?

It’s outwith the scope of this thread; but to answer in brief - them moving elsewhere is complicated by 3 things: 1) They are owned by BAA/Heathrow Airport, 2) They are a non-standard microfleet 3) Heathrow Express have ambitions beyond their current operation which they could be useful for. There is a dedicated thread for 360/2 future elsewhere; but as I said there I would wager heavily the only place they’re going in 2018 IF HEX don’t immediately have a use for them is warm storage.

Last edited:

Trailfinder

Surely in order to use the new Crossrail OOC depot as a base for testing the class 345 on the GWML, the OHL needs to be be powered up. Has this actually been done yet? I have not seen it reported as such, and it was only recently that the OHL appeared in the vicinity of the carriage wash building (the new 2-track building adjacent to Old Oak Common East Junction).

In delivering 345023, was it just propelled into the depot building by the delivery diesel loco?

leomartin125

Surely in order to use the new Crossrail OOC depot as a base for testing the class 345 on the GWML, the OHL needs to be be powered up. Has this actually been done yet? I have not seen it reported as such, and it was only recently that the OHL appeared in the vicinity of the carriage wash building (the new 2-track building adjacent to Old Oak Common East Junction).

In delivering 345023, was it just propelled into the depot building by the delivery diesel loco?

That's precisely why 345023 being delivered to OOC Crossrail Depot was the most surprising thing, and why they didn't just deliver it to Maidenhead C.S. as originally planned, god knows.

And as far as RTT is concerned, these paths are something, and all we have to go of. They might not have any significance at all, just like ALL the paths to/from Maidenhead Carriage Sidings that haven't been used since early November. But now I'm doubting that the Crossrail Depot at Old Oak actually has live wires to faciliate testing, I'm guessing these paths will be redundant.

345aventra

No the OLE has not been commissioned and some of the sidings were today still being wired up. The OLE is not due now to be live until December, but this of course could change. 345023 was brought into the depot to aid commissioning of the depot maintenance building, the wheel lather etc but this has been complicated by the lack of live OLE

D365

Veteran Member
As above, it's a separate site that won't be affected by HS2/OOC construction works.

Established Member
Interestingly in this new timetable from what I've observed, the Aventra PVR seems to have gone up to about 5 now (previously 3). If you go to any eastbound platform at a TfL Rail station at 7-8am there's a 345 every few minutes now it seems. Getting much easier and easier to catch them, which isn't good news for old fuddie duddies like me who prefer a good 315.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I know there was a rotational warm store of 315s going on with them being placed at Aldersbrook sidings when not in use. I can't help but think the increase in 345s means some may now be placed in storage/withdrawn. Currently only 840 has been withdrawn though I understand it's more of a 840/848 hybid of damaged coaches. Is there a chance that LO will take some to release the 317s for scrap/parts for the GA fleet?

samuelmorris

Established Member
As of the new timetable, a 345 (009 this morning) is diagrammed to go ECS from Gidea Park to Shenfield and back again in the morning peak. Anybody know what this is for?

matt_world2004

Established Member
Does anyone know when the 345s will begin running from Abbey wood to the crossrail cores under its own power?
In passenger service december 2018 I do not know about when it is for testing. I think tfl rail on the Paddington side launches on may 20th 2018

iphone76

As of the new timetable, a 345 (009 this morning) is diagrammed to go ECS from Gidea Park to Shenfield and back again in the morning peak. Anybody know what this is for?

The new diagrams accommdate the closure of the carriage sidings at Gidea Park and the lack of turning capacity in the middle sidings. Thus quite a few trains run ECS Gidea Park to Shenfield and back before starting back in passenger service. In the early mornings a few trains run empty from Ilford depot to Shenfield sidings then back empty to Gidea Park. A few also travel empty from Shenfield sidings to Gidea Park. This will be the case for a few months now until the sidings reopen.

class387

Established Member
I dont think the 360s are going to crossrail the staff are not even being tuped (Some gwr staff are though!)
It seems a bit risky going straight from all 360s to all 345s overnight. Or will HC be operating 345s before the change over?

Status
Not open for further replies.