• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Even though they have only tested one carriage wouldn't the coupling mechanics need to be tested too in extreme weather to make sure the they dont freeze open or shut, or Come open due to expanding and contracting metal in heat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Even though they have only tested one carriage wouldn't the coupling mechanics need to be tested too in extreme weather to make sure the they dont freeze open or shut, or Come open due to expanding and contracting metal in heat.

They're a standard dellner coupler aren't they?

Bobcp

345018 (9 coaches)comprising :- 340118/340218/340318/340418/340518/340618/340718/340818/340918 was transferred from Derby Litchurch Lane to Old Dalby in the early hours of December 29th.

Shunter_69

345002 is currently undertaking some mainline mileage accumulation between Brentwood and Ilford. This is the first time it's left Ilford yard under its own power.

zn1

would it sound sensible for all stock by now to have electric heated windscreens?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
electric heated windscreens surely are fitted as standard by now...

simple simon

345002 is currently undertaking some mainline mileage accumulation between Brentwood and Ilford. This is the first time it's left Ilford yard under its own power.

Any idea of what time of day? Or is it only at night?

I looked on RTT quoting a location of Ilford EMPD but it did not help me very much.

Maybe the runs are 'ad hoc' so dont appear on RTT?

Simon

Established Member
All at night at the moment. They are operated by DB Cargo so appear as freight trains on RTT. Also the testing is such that only the departure time off Ilford is any guide as to what is actually happening.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Those unit numbers are going to be a right pain to try and grab for sight (and if like on some Voyagers I've seen lately keep clean) (hopefully the coach numbers will be easy enough to spot) :(

Excellent news on them starting visiting Liverpool Street on test, May will be here soon

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm not sure if these are the first to have (or not have) it but its odd to see a UK train without the yellow panel...

Shunter_69

345002 failed shortly after leaving Ilford for testing this morning and has returned to the yard.

fgwrich

Established Member
In an unexpected twist, TFL / Crossrail have revealed that the 345s will contain an unnoticed and new form of track friendly suspension...

Attachments

• IMG_8156.JPG
    IMG_8156.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 526

Class377/5

Established Member
In an unexpected twist, TFL / Crossrail have revealed that the 345s will contain an unnoticed and new form of track friendly suspension...

I can't get the phrase "no expense spared" out of my head after seeing that!

D365

Veteran Member
Definitely won't want to be seated in the driving coaches then! Even my 96 stock brio looked more comfortable :D

Jedipickles

345005 reportedly on the move towards Wembley behind 67024, presumably going onto Ilford later...

su31

It would appear that the 345s don't / won't fit into many of Liverpool Street's platforms.

Something that needs to be sorted very quickly. I seem to recall reading (but can't locate the source) that only four platforms out of 18 are gauged for the 345s. And these are all random platforms, not consecutive, or the 'proper' TfL Rail platforms.

Jonny

Established Member
It would appear that the 345s don't / won't fit into many of Liverpool Street's platforms.

Something that needs to be sorted very quickly. I seem to recall reading (but can't locate the source) that only four platforms out of 18 are gauged for the 345s. And these are all random platforms, not consecutive, or the 'proper' TfL Rail platforms.

Was that ever factored into the planning, though?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pretty sure that was from one individual photo with no evidence, and I believe has already been debunked on here?

It came up in this other 345 thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142987&page=2

... and sounded like a mountain being made of a molehill to me. Fine tuning of platform edges is pretty much par for the course with new stock introduction isn't it? Network rail have £billions to spend on the on-network Crossrail changes, it would be amazing if they didn't have it in hand during forthcoming weekend engineering works, like all the other minor alterations for stepping distances they have done elsewhere on the route.

Hughqq

I'm going to be at Stratford this morning from 11 ish until about quarter past 12, anyone know if a 345 may pass through today between those times?

D365

Veteran Member
I'm going to be at Stratford this morning from 11 ish until about quarter past 12, anyone know if a 345 may pass through today between those times?

As long as they fit through the platforms ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.