• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
New stopping pattern codes were created for the 315s, which were needed because of the unusual stopping pattern due to Goodmayes being shut for work on the footbridge. Whether the software on the 315s could be updated with such short notice is another matter though.

The 345s take their information via a download from the NR master timetable. If this is not published until after the last update to the units, that won’t work either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
New stopping pattern codes were created for the 315s, which were needed because of the unusual stopping pattern due to Goodmayes being shut for work on the footbridge. Whether the software on the 315s could be updated with such short notice is another matter though.

The 345s take their information via a download from the NR master timetable. If this is not published until after the last update to the units, that won’t work either.

So I have noticed, since the 1st August, that the PIS has been updated and was wondering if this can cope with 'Maryland, Manor Park' now. Also seems to feature a new (to the 315s) See it, Say it, Sort it (it says that even though it is supposed to be sorted not sort it!) that plays on arrival at London Liverpool Street, Ilford and Chadwell Heath.

A friend of mine says the new see it, say it, Sorted announcements is also playing on the 345s but I have yet to hear one in person....

I have heard an automated announcement about the Goodmayes closure on the 345s - badly strung together but that's inevitable when you string 30 separate recordings to make a sentence.

Ethano92

So I have noticed, since the 1st August, that the PIS has been updated and was wondering if this can cope with 'Maryland, Manor Park' now. Also seems to feature a new (to the 315s) See it, Say it, Sort it (it says that even though it is supposed to be sorted not sort it!) that plays on arrival at London Liverpool Street, Ilford and Chadwell Heath.

A friend of mine says the new see it, say it, Sorted announcements is also playing on the 345s but I have yet to hear one in person....

I have heard an automated announcement about the Goodmayes closure on the 345s - badly strung together but that's inevitable when you string 30 separate recordings to make a sentence.
I have heard one on a Western TFL rail 345. I like Emma Highnett's voice so to me it didn't sound as annoying as on other trains. The displays only show the first part however, not "see it, say it, sorted" which makes sense as although that's the strapline. It's irrelevant.

The general response to my original query has been (roughly) that the PIS systems aren't able to cope with changes to the usual route because of the way they recieve their information but why would they program it like that though if it does cause issues like this in service alterations.

theking

On another note the pis on the 315 was working great today announcing the length of the goodmayes closure and the see it say it sorted announcement.

mrmartin

Have we reached max usage of 345s on Liverpool Street to Shenfield until the full service opens? Been well over a year now and still lots of 315s in service. The 345s AC is such a relief in this hot weather!

samuelmorris

Established Member
As far as I know, yes - I believe only half of the 315s are to be directly replaced by 345s until the route from Stratford to the core opens next May. I don't recall where I read that, though.

Probably just as well as the higher reliability of the 315s is all that keeps the service operating to a tolerable standard.

mrmartin

Yes that was my hunch too.

Btw, anyone know if the onboard 4G and WiFi is still on track for crossrail?

AM9

Veteran Member
As far as I know, yes - I believe only half of the 315s are to be directly replaced by 345s until the route from Stratford to the core opens next May. I don't recall where I read that, though.

Probably just as well as the higher reliability of the 315s is all that keeps the service operating to a tolerable standard.
Given that the class 345s have a much easier life than the class 700s, their reliability doesn't seem to be improving much.

plcd1

You are correct about the 315s remaining in service. The supply contract for the 345s shows the delivery / service build up schedule and it was a deliberate decision not to do a mass conversion of the Shenfield service to 7 car 345s as it would leave far too many trains requiring extension to 9 cars in 6-7 months (May to Dec 2019). I posted an analysis of the contract build up many, many months ago on District Dave forum - you may have seen that.

railfanatic

Yes. There is a screen in one of the menus which lists all the stations. (Well if the train is heading to Liverpool Street from Shenfield all the stations say LST - but that is by the by). It would be good if we could select and de-select a station or stations - however - the functionality doesn't appear to have been enabled. (If it ever will).

When there are major changes such as a lot of stations being skipped, we are told to switch off / disable the PIS and make manual announcements and then re-enable when appropriate.

There are a lot of things on the 345 which are not ideal/ easily customisable - the PIS being one of them.

New functionality should be coming soon which would allow the driver to select any number of stations and add or skip them to/from the stopping pattern.

The Goodmayes issue was because of Network Rail not publishing the change to their downstream systems on time.

Termination at Stratford, that was pretty last-minute.com (lol)

I would fix the LST-LST-LST issue if I could, not my system :(

There's about 36 315s vs 10 345s on the East route. On the weekday off peak its half and half. Weekday peak it is maybe every 3 315s you will get 1 345. Weekends most trains are 345s.

Worth noting that's 36 4 car units, making up to 18 8-car sets compared with 10 7-car 345s.

387star

On Moderation
Caught one from Hayes to Padd today for the first time

My first impression was that it seemed quite dark inside although the pattern on the seats was visually quite pleasing

There was a cleaner working her way through the train which was good but no bins were visible. Are there any?

More 2+2 seating than I expected and the padding and backs seem better than the 700s?

Certainly preferably to my 313 later on in the day which was in a vile state

They really take off too although I see this has beennoed numerous times

Ethano92

Caught one from Hayes to Padd today for the first time

My first impression was that it seemed quite dark inside although the pattern on the seats was visually quite pleasing

There was a cleaner working her way through the train which was good but no bins were visible. Are there any?

There aren't any bins which im not a fan of considering its a national rail line. For people who are going to mention the whole safety of a train in central London etc, Thameslink has bins and has been doing just fine, well at least in terms of safety.

Kite159

Veteran Member
What is the current ratio between 315s and 345s on the Liverpool Street route typically?

Last Sunday was mostly 345s, I only saw one pair of 315s floating around when the 360 I was in was caught behind a stopper due to missing it's path due to congestion at Stratford

II

They seem to be performing without many problems on the GWML, when compared to the GEML at least.

Usually at least a dozen 9-car units to be found stabled in Old Oak Common, with the odd 9-car undergoing crew training and testing runs out to Maidenhead. I've not seen one reach Reading yet mind you.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Hmm, anecdotally I am continuously seeing tweets from TfL apologising for cancellations on the west side due to train failures - whether that's GWR stock causing delays, 360s or 345s I'm not sure, but I can't help but think that may not actually be the case. After all, I can't really see any reason why they should perform better over there, the inter-station distances seem fairly similar.

Non Multi

Hmm, anecdotally I am continuously seeing tweets from TfL apologising for cancellations on the west side due to train failures - whether that's GWR stock causing delays, 360s or 345s I'm not sure, but I can't help but think that may not actually be the case. After all, I can't really see any reason why they should perform better over there, the inter-station distances seem fairly similar.
It's the ex-Heathrow Connect 360/2s that are the ones with regular faults, as only the 360/2s can run to Heathrow at present. Apparently these units had minimal maintenance, due the expectation that they would be surplus to requirements after TfL Rail took over.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I have been on an 345 that broke down on the west side so it does happen but it is mainly 360s.

Established Member
It's the ex-Heathrow Connect 360/2s that are the ones with regular faults, as only the 360/2s can run to Heathrow at present. Apparently these units had minimal maintenance, due the expectation that they would be surplus to requirements after TfL Rail took over.

Yes, most faults are the 360s as you have stated. Most days the Heathrow ITT doesn't run and 205 for some reason tends to barely see service. As a result, it means all the other 4 are constantly used all 7 days a week from roughly 0400-0100 with barely any time for maintenance and recovery.

The 345s mind you still have issues and do break down a lot on that side, however there's about 3 spares and only 2 are in service at any one time. It makes it easy to swap out trains if need be. They're also performing much easier duties than what the East side brings.

matt_world2004

Established Member
My train left Hayes 4 minutes late today and got to paddington two minutes early it did 19 minutes from hayes to paddington which considering its nearly stopping at all stations is impressive.

JW16

In the absence of luggage racks, you know what I'd like on the 345s? Just the odd coat hanger here and there. A small request but on a 50 minute journey it would be nice to be able to hang up your suit jacket or coat.

Established Member
And get your wallet nicked which is what happened to a mate on a Norwich train under such circumstances.

387star

On Moderation
In the absence of luggage racks, you know what I'd like on the 345s? Just the odd coat hanger here and there. A small request but on a 50 minute journey it would be nice to be able to hang up your suit jacket or coat.
That can't really work with longitudinal seating

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My train left Hayes 4 minutes late today and got to paddington two minutes early it did 19 minutes from hayes to paddington which considering its nearly stopping at all stations is impressive.

It's only timed for 21 minutes WTT, so I don't think it is that surprising if given a clear run, especially at that time of the night. I think I had a sub-18-minute (or just a few seconds over) run not that long ago on one of the last journeys of the day. I found that they normally hang around stations for a bit off-peak without many people getting on and off, which must suggest that the timing is fairly comfortable.

I think a chauffeur-driven car may be more suitable for your needs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.