• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
7 car 345002 now at Crewe. I believe the 1st 7 car to head over there.

Mileage Accumilation testing on the mainline. Usually a sign that it's a month or so away from delivery to Old Oak Common or Ilford. Hopefully 345001 will follow.

Anyone have any inside information as to when 345002 might come out to play? Can't see that anything has worked the 1529 test path from Crewe to Rugby in some time now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Mileage Accumilation testing on the mainline. Usually a sign that it's a month or so away from delivery to Old Oak Common or Ilford. Hopefully 345001 will follow.

How much mileage would it be expected to accumulate?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
I was just shown a photo yesterday, It was at Liverpool Street station I believe of a Class 345 that had hit the buffers and the cab front all lifted. Not sure when this happened.
Does anyone have any info at all?

rebmcr

Established Member
I was just shown a photo yesterday, It was at Liverpool Street station I believe of a Class 345 that had hit the buffers and the cab front all lifted. Not sure when this happened.
Does anyone have any info at all?

If it's the one I remember, it was at Old Oak depot not long after the first 345s arrived West.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
If it's the one I remember, it was at Old Oak depot not long after the first 345s arrived West.
Ah right ok, thanks, so it was a while back. The person with the photo didn't have much detail but a side on photo showed the cab front shoved up quite a bit. Had not seen it before.

Unclepete

Sorry if this has been asked before, but wasn't there supposed to be 9-car workings by now on the western side to H&H, or have I missed it being introduced?

iphone76

Sorry if this has been asked before, but wasn't there supposed to be 9-car workings by now on the western side to H&H, or have I missed it being introduced?

No - you haven't missed it. Hopefully from sometime in January 2019 when the 7 car 345s will return to the East side and replace more 315s.

Buggleskelly

I take it these units will be rebranded as TFL Rail, as I think I read further up on this thread that all 9 car units have Elizabeth Line branding on. By the way, when will the east side see 001/2 and 004 in service?

Established Member
I take it these units will be rebranded as TFL Rail, as I think I read further up on this thread that all 9 car units have Elizabeth Line branding on. By the way, when will the east side see 001/2 and 004 in service?
001 and 004 are expected to be 9 cars and won't be until the Liverpool Street remodelling or the central section and East section are joined up, whichever is first. 002 is expected to be in service some time soon as a 7 car but don't know when.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just gone past OOC class 345 depot and there appears to be a set with its leading vehicle (western end) at an angle pointing slightly upwards as if it has derailed. Can anyone provide any further info?

TFN

I've just gone past OOC class 345 depot and there appears to be a set with its leading vehicle (western end) at an angle pointing slightly upwards as if it has derailed. Can anyone provide any further info?

Just seen it again at 1533. A lot of orange hivis around. Doesn't look good :/

TRAX

Established Member
Just to make sure, in the west the 345s only run from Paddington to Hayes & Harlington is that right ? Or do they venture further west ?

Trailfinder

They also run to Reading on test / training runs. I watched one depart OOC for Reading on OTT yesterday.

TRAX

Established Member
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mention that I was asking just for passenger services.

A7rud

Is it possible to view any class 345s on shed, from Old Oak Common Lane? If so, can any be ID'd with or without binoculars?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Should be all 11 diagrams by the May timetable change. It has been stepped up from 8 to 9 since the last change in December.

I guess when the full length units eventually come into use on the western side, the 2/3 reduced length units can head back over to the east to allow the 345s to operate most services at weekends & off-peak, with the 315s coming out during peak time?

Established Member
I guess when the full length units eventually come into use on the western side, the 2/3 reduced length units can head back over to the east to allow the 345s to operate most services at weekends & off-peak, with the 315s coming out during peak time?

Weekends all services can be 345s. Monday to Friday the 345s are targeted at the heaviest loading peak services, to help reduce dwell times and improve punctuality. That means they aren’t always in the right place to work all the off peak services, as the platform working at both Livetpool St and Shenfield dictates what forms what.

Last edited:

Established Member
Weekends all services can be 345s. Monday to Friday the 345s are targeted at the heaviest loading peak services, to help reduce dwell times and improve punctuality. That means they aren’t always in the right place to work all the off peak services, as the platform working at both Livetpool St and Shenfield dictates what forms what.
Indeed this - although the timetable itself generally remained untouched at the December timetable change, it was mostly to do with changing around what train during the PM peak was a 315 and what was a 345.

On the old timetable, majority of the 345s had been booked to do trains leaving London Liverpool Street after the 1800 departure I think it was however many customers complained that too many of the departures, particularly during the summer where they wanted a train with AC, were 315s between 1700 and 1800 (of the 15 departures during this time I think only 3 trains were 345s or something like that?). Now especially after 1730 a lot more trains have been converted to 345 operation however this has meant other trains outside of these times have been reverted back to 315 operation.

As someone who enjoys class 315s this is obviously welcome news as a lot of the trains I get have converted back from 345s to 315s! (Yay :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.