• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ethano92

probably inline resistors fitted, rather than "volume turned down"
Either way. On one now and it's certainly a big improvement with stops every 2 minutes. Even the automatic announcements seem quieter.

The gap between "next station..." and "mind the gap between the train..." Has also been extended to 10 seconds. Anyone know why?

Seems to be many more 345s out than last Saturday. Had 2 in Liverpool Street and I think I've already passed to along the route.

The sound of the ventilation is very apparent similar to the original desiro UKs though not as loud. Still weird because the train gets quite stuffy when you get on which I haven't experienced in the 700s yet a few times on the 345s and other bombardier stock.

Why was black chosen for the floor colour, the floors already look worn out. The lighter colour of the 700s seem to be lasting better.

Just a few observations from my current journey on one.

samuelmorris

Established Member
In my experience the floors of both stock look pretty grimey, if anything I'd say the 700s seemed worse. Haven't noticed the 'stuffy' feel at all yet. I find the units quite pleasant, climate-wise.

I have to say I really do prefer the look of the darker floors – the 345s overall are probably the smartest-looking metro trains in the UK. But yeah… they're already starting to look kinda scruffy, which is alarming.

Dave1987

On Moderation
After traveling on quite a few of these 345’s I traveled on a 315 recently for the first time in a while. Makes you realise just how rock hard the seats are on a 345 when you go back to what they are replacing. It’s going to take a lot of wear for those seats to soften up like the politicians are saying they will.

samuelmorris

Established Member
After traveling on quite a few of these 345’s I traveled on a 315 recently for the first time in a while. Makes you realise just how rock hard the seats are on a 345 when you go back to what they are replacing. It’s going to take a lot of wear for those seats to soften up like the politicians are saying they will.
I highly doubt they'll soften up. I've seen no sign of that happening on 700s or 377/6s

AM9

Veteran Member
I highly doubt they'll soften up. I've seen no sign of that happening on 700s or 377/6s
Which is just as well. There's nothing worse than sitting on seats where the foam is collapsed and you can feel the hard mountings below. They should still be usable when the overhauls comes up. The class 700 seats seem to be keeping their shape (in my experience) after nearly 2 years of use so I expect that trains using the same Fainsa range will do similarly well.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Which is just as well. There's nothing worse than sitting on seats where the foam is collapsed and you can feel the hard mountings below. They shoul still be usable when the overhauls comes up. The class 700 seats seem to be keeping their shape (in my experience) after nearly 2 years of use so I expect that trains using the same Fainsa range will do similarly well.

The seats on the 345 are like sitting on a slab of granite. I tried with the palm of my hand leaning on the seats to see if there was any cushioning or give and there was absolutely none. Whatever is inside the seats is absolutely rock solid. After 10 mins it gets seriously uncomfortable. I did think how can the rail industry as a whole be trying to encourage more people to travel by train yet think it perfectly acceptable to have seating like this.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The seats on the 345 are like sitting on a slab of granite. I tried with the palm of my hand leaning on the seats to see if there was any cushioning or give and there was absolutely none. Whatever is inside the seats is absolutely rock solid. After 10 mins it gets seriously uncomfortable. I did think how can the rail industry as a whole be trying to encourage more people to travel by train yet think it perfectly acceptable to have seating like this.
Compare and contrast the seats with those on the S stock, which are soft and reasonably comfortable. Both units specified by TfL, but the S stock does not have to comply with a regressive seat standard stipulated by the DfT.

100andthirty

Compare and contrast the seats with those on the S stock, which are soft and reasonably comfortable. Both units specified by TfL, but the S stock does not have to comply with a regressive seat standard stipulated by the DfT.

S Stock seats do have to comply with LU's very stringent fire safety tests and LU engineers simply applied the tried and tested acceptance criteria...the managing director's a***-ometer test.

samuelmorris

Established Member
But the 700 does and 700 seats, amazingly enough, are considerably softer.

Goldfish62

Established Member
S Stock seats do have to comply with LU's very stringent fire safety tests and LU engineers simply applied the tried and tested acceptance criteria...the managing director's a***-ometer test.
Exactly. Just shows that you can have a seat that complies with stringent safety regulations but still has some modicum of comfort.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Oh I quite agree. However, the S stock was first manufactured in 2009, back when you could still get 377s with sensible seats too (the /5), so things may well have changed since then. I imagine the last batch of S7s in 2016 might have been a grandfather rights issue. The real test will be what seating the new DLR & Piccadilly stock have.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Been a while since it's affected me but the 345 defect that means they have to depart Liverpool Street empty and only pick up from Stratford onwards is still going on I see. I thought this had been fixed? (Offending unit in this case is 022)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Oh I quite agree. However, the S stock was first manufactured in 2009, back when you could still get 377s with sensible seats too (the /5), so things may well have changed since then. I imagine the last batch of S7s in 2016 might have been a grandfather rights issue. The real test will be what seating the new DLR & Piccadilly stock have.
True. We'll have to wait quite a few years for those, of course.

iphone76

Been a while since it's affected me but the 345 defect that means they have to depart Liverpool Street empty and only pick up from Stratford onwards is still going on I see. I thought this had been fixed? (Offending unit in this case is 022)

This isn't the 345 which sits around Bow Junction during the evening peak is it? This is used in times of disruption to start empty from Stratford. I've never known them to leave Liverpool Street empty and start in passenger service from Stratford - but I defer to your knowledge.

samuelmorris

Established Member
This isn't the 345 which sits around Bow Junction during the evening peak is it? This is used in times of disruption to start empty from Stratford. I've never known them to leave Liverpool Street empty and start in passenger service from Stratford - but I defer to your knowledge.
No knowledge here, I didn't even realise one could be stationed there, so that's probably the answer - I'm sure I've seen one leave empty but not for quite a while. The inbound service was cancelled entirely so no obvious indication why this was done.

Established Member
I don't believe this was ever the case, certainly isn't at present as they are leaving with passengers on board.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't believe this was ever the case, certainly isn't at present as they are leaving with passengers on board.
It only ever happened very occasionally, I assume it may have had something to do with the numerous software issues the units had when first introduced (that required a fitter onboard at all times). As I said above, I haven't actually witnessed this happen for some time.

Ex31Rigger

I can assure you that there were no technical issues affecting that unit around that time and date, that prevented it from taking passengers at LST. I suspect the reason it travelled ECS to Stratford as you say, would lie with the DCM, possibly to alleviate overcrowding at Stratford.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The inbound working (2C59) was cancelled due to train fault (MD) - was it a last-minute substitution for another unit then, turning at Bow Junction to reduce the delay?

Ex31Rigger

The inbound working (2C59) was cancelled due to train fault (MD) - was it a last-minute substitution for another unit then, turning at Bow Junction to reduce the delay?
Spot on with that observation, 2C58/2C59 didn't make it out of GPCS, 022 which was stationed around Bow area as spare had been driver training earlier in the day and was called into action to earn its keep.

samuelmorris

Established Member
PIS disabled on 008 today, nice to see drivers making the calling pattern announcements manually, something people will miss when 345s take over fully.

I wonder if the calling pattern variations West of Paddington will be drawn on the maps inside, since they aren't identifiable from the PIS until shortly beforehand?

(Or, wishful thinking, the PIS display software will be redesigned to correct that!)

Established Member
PIS disabled on 008 today, nice to see drivers making the calling pattern announcements manually, something people will miss when 345s take over fully.

I wonder if the calling pattern variations West of Paddington will be drawn on the maps inside, since they aren't identifiable from the PIS until shortly beforehand?

(Or, wishful thinking, the PIS display software will be redesigned to correct that!)
That's interesting as I had 008 this morning and PIS was working....

Doubt any paper maps will show variations in calling patterns as TfL Rail already operates a million different calling patterns on the East Side with some variations too on the West!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed, but with only a small number of stations affected, it's less of a problem now than when the Reading services start which presumably will have a 'not all stations' pattern all day, not just during the peak.

i had it on 2W95 (1354 SNF-LST) and coincidentally also 2W39 (1634 SNF-LST) and the PIS was disabled on both occasions. Presumably something happened after the morning peak.

Established Member
Indeed, but with only a small number of stations affected, it's less of a problem now than when the Reading services start which presumably will have a 'not all stations' pattern all day, not just during the peak.

i had it on 2W95 (1354 SNF-LST) and coincidentally also 2W39 (1634 SNF-LST) and the PIS was disabled on both occasions. Presumably something happened after the morning peak.
We must have crossed each other without knowing! I saw 2W39 upon journeys end at London Liverpool Street. However I decided to go for the 315 sitting on platform 17 instead.

I will look out for it today and see if it is still not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.