• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
345008 seems to have had a PIS reset and is now using the original script which included having an interchange at Forest Gate, saying 'Liverpool Street via Stratford' and the screens seem to be fuzzy.
I thought Liverpool Street via Stratford was still in the current script, and that the Forest Gate interchange was mentioned, but only off-peak? I can't comment on the fuzzy screens, I don't ever recall that being an issue - it was the audio they had trouble with for the first year or so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I thought Liverpool Street via Stratford was still in the current script, and that the Forest Gate interchange was mentioned, but only off-peak? I can't comment on the fuzzy screens, I don't ever recall that being an issue - it was the audio they had trouble with for the first year or so.
Current script uses just plain 'Liverpool Street'. The interchange at Forest Gate is mentioned as only an exit on the current script. It says 'Exit for Wanstead Park Station' whereas the original says 'Change for London Overground lines'. Audio mostly seems to be fine with a few glitches. Nowhere near as bad as when they were first introduced.

iphone76

The Wi-Fi system has been enabled on a few of the 345s in the East and West. Its called "tfl wifi". Posters have been added to the trains.

Established Member
The Wi-Fi system has been enabled on a few of the 345s in the East and West. Its called "tfl wifi". Posters have been added to the trains.
We have been told all of them on the West apparently including the 360s have been done but it is still 50:50 on the East side. Indeed I did notice a few had TfL WiFi yesterday when I was out and about.

Railperf

Established Member
No WiFi on the 360s yet but some on the 345s
These are very fast accelerating trains - 0-80mph in 60 seconds. On the other hand any performance advantage with the faster acceleration seems to be lost by the very cautious braking approach to most stations - even on a dry rail - compared to the turbos!

matt_world2004

Established Member
These are very fast accelerating trains - 0-80mph in 60 seconds. On the other hand any performance advantage with the faster acceleration seems to be lost by the very cautious braking approach to most stations - even on a dry rail - compared to the turbos!
Theres a late night 345 service that is Hayes Ealing Broadway and Paddington only and it does the trip in about 10 minutes.

samuelmorris

Established Member
No progress to report I expect. With Heathrow still inaccessible to 345s, the crossrail core opening now a very distant dream, unless there's to be a U-turn on the decision not to run too many sets in 7-car formation, the status quo will carry on for quite a while yet. The only thing that might change this year is operation of more GW services from Paddington with 345s.

samuelmorris

Established Member
How much longer have we to wait for this? Why is it taking so long to sort?
I assume, given how late everything else is, they've given up on getting 345s to work with GWATP still active, so are waiting for 387s to replace 332s on HEx services before they serve Heathrow. Once GWATP is decommissioned on the branch they'll be ready to go. Whether anything will be done about stopping at Hayes requiring 7-car units I'm not sure.

I assume, given how late everything else is, they've given up on getting 345s to work with GWATP still active, so are waiting for 387s to replace 332s on HEx services before they serve Heathrow. Once GWATP is decommissioned on the branch they'll be ready to go. Whether anything will be done about stopping at Hayes requiring 7-car units I'm not sure.
387s are supposed to have in cab signalling also though as there is no TPWS fitted to the Heathrow branch.
9 cars can serve Hayes platforms 1 to 4, just not platform 5 (dead-end bay platform).

ijmad

Established Member
387s are supposed to have in cab signalling also though as there is no TPWS fitted to the Heathrow branch.
9 cars can serve Hayes platforms 1 to 4, just not platform 5 (dead-end bay platform).

The suggestion I'd seen was the current signals would be decommissioned and ETCS could be commissioned with a blockade, and the class 322's replaced by 387's and the 360's replaced by 345's at the same time when the line reopened.

The suggestion I'd seen was the current signals would be decommissioned and ETCS could be commissioned with a blockade, and the class 322's replaced by 387's and the 360's replaced by 345's at the same time when the line reopened.
How is that going to be commissioned when testing keeps failing?

ijmad

Established Member

I thought the reason the testing is supposedly failing is interference from the old signalling. If they switch them off entirely and it's just ETCS in the tunnels, the tests might start passing, and they could do it all in a blockade perhaps?

rebmcr

Established Member

I thought the reason the testing is supposedly failing is interference from the old signalling. If they switch them off entirely and it's just ETCS in the tunnels, the tests might start passing, and they could do it all in a blockade perhaps?

They've already successfully tested ERTMS signalling overnight with GW-ATP fully shut down. It was quite a while back now, well into last year.

ijmad

Established Member
They've already successfully tested ERTMS signalling overnight with GW-ATP fully shut down. It was quite a while back now, well into last year.

Fair enough. Things a bit further on than I last remember reading!

There is also in fair honesty not much point running a 9-car Hayes shuttle service as it would simply cart air around. The 7 cars off peak are already very lightly loaded as it is.

True but it would get the 7cars back to the east where they belong.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This morning for the first time ever I saw two side by side on the Crossrail metals at Westbourne Park; 345 031 and 345 032.

I grabbed a picture of this - if it is good enough once I have extracted it from the camera this evening I'll post it up.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This morning for the first time ever I saw two side by side on the Crossrail metals at Westbourne Park; 345 031 and 345 032.

I grabbed a picture of this - if it is good enough once I have extracted it from the camera this evening I'll post it up.

Funnily enough I came out of Paddington a little earlier and noticed two class 345s side by side there as well!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Funnily enough I came out of Paddington a little earlier and noticed two class 345s side by side there as well!

Probably the same pair; there's still very limited time slots in which they can carry out running tests in the tunnels isn't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.