• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Based on this article I thought Crossrail was getting 'auto reverse' and passengers could be carried through the sidings. Plans may have changed though, quite an old article.
Without passengers. While the train proceeds into the siding and back out into the platform the driver will walk through the train to the other end ready for the next eastbound trip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gulf1159

A locomotive has arrived at Old Oak Depot so there should be a move to Ilford this morning. (It didn't happen yesterday.)

1026 Old Oak Depot to Ilford E.M.U.D.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:38977/2021-07-01/detailed

EDIT: Yet again, the move seems to gave been cancelled - the locomotive returning to Wembley without a 345.
You beat me to it

Without passengers. While the train proceeds into the siding and back out into the platform the driver will walk through the train to the other end ready for the next eastbound trip.
So far in trial running we have been told not to use auto reverse despite it being offered on arrival at Westbourne Park sidings. Not sure why but the turn arounds there so far wouldn’t have required it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Reported elsewhere that 345006 has finally made it back to Ilford from Old Oak Depot this morning following a number of different attempts to move it over the last few weeks - presumably still a 7-car unit.

iphone76

Reported elsewhere that 345006 has finally made it back to Ilford from Old Oak Depot this morning following a number of different attempts to move it over the last few weeks - presumably still a 7-car unit.
Yes. I saw it pass Stratford earlier. I also think I saw unit 8 getting ready to be dragged back to the west.

345s on Heathrow diagrams have been terminating at West Drayton platform 5 this evening due to a signal fault at Heathrow. I believe this is the first time that platform has been used in passenger service.

Attachments

• E7B9ABE7-21DA-4383-9BDF-7F7475E810E6.png
    E7B9ABE7-21DA-4383-9BDF-7F7475E810E6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • B2A4C655-C44F-4EAE-834C-59ECF55D66FD.png
    B2A4C655-C44F-4EAE-834C-59ECF55D66FD.png
    902.5 KB · Views: 37

Snow1964

Established Member
The latest Elizabeth Line committee TfL Board papers are now published ahead of next weeks meeting
3.2 Train software updates have driven an improvement in reliability in the Class 345 nine-car full length trains operating the Reading and Heathrow services, but not up to the forecast level, partly due to the emergence of non-software related door defects and other equipment hardware failures. The manufacturer, Alstom, is undertaking root-cause analysis and instigating a fleet-wide component inspection regime.
(Page 23) Now appears to be a problem with the doors and other hardware

4.1 On 16 May 2021, the new Stage 4a timetable between Liverpool Street to Shenfield was launched as planned, using mainly seven-car Class 345 trains. On 26 May 2021 the first three nine-car Class 345 trains entered service on the route. The transition of the Liverpool Street to Shenfield service to a full nine-car Class 345 operation (twenty-two trains) will be later this year.
Only 3 full length 9 car units on Shenfield line, other announcements suggest changeover to full 9car expected to complete during September-October.

The document also refers to 12 train testing from mid July after the current 18 day blockade, and a further blockade in Autumn (no dates yet) but I suspect will want the 7 car trains in the west for completion of lengthening, so only 9car after Autumn blockade.

A later section in this pack refers to the new phase 5b (details have been put in infrastructure thread). Suggests 5b services will be Reading/Heathrow-Abbey wood and Paddington-Shenfield (date not specified but possibly from 14th May 2022)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So far in trial running we have been told not to use auto reverse despite it being offered on arrival at Westbourne Park sidings. Not sure why but the turn arounds there so far wouldn’t have required it.
In the full frequency operation wouldn’t the system be initiated at Paddington?

kevin_roche

I wonder if the current software does not support it yet or maybe they want to see what can be done without using it.

matt_world2004

Established Member
That's brilliant, it means the software is now good enough to no longer mask the other issues and take their blame.
I wonder why the door issues were not picked up after nearly six years of operations on the Great Eastern and three years of operations on the Great Western.

In the full frequency operation wouldn’t the system be initiated at Paddington?
The notes I have seem a bit ambiguous as to when auto reverse would be initiated. They initially mention confirming the train is cleared and closing doors before selecting ATO. They then mention selecting auto reverse on arrival at Paddington westbound platform followed by shutting the cab down which does not make sense as you wouldn’t be able to operate the doors.

My gut is telling me auto reverse would be selected at some point between leaving Paddington and arrival at Westbourne Park sidings.

I wonder if the current software does not support it yet or maybe they want to see what can be done without using it.
The increased frequency in the COS on reopening next week should be interesting!

TFN

I notice that an engineer is always in the back cab on the Heathrow services.

How long will this go on for?

I notice that an engineer is always in the back cab on the Heathrow services.

How long will this go on for?
I’ve been wondering also given that reliability has come a lot way since the early days… Techs are also usually sited at Paddington and Reading too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I had 345048 on Paddington Reading on Tuesday, so it’s entered passenger service. I did check the number several times to be certain.

kevin_roche

The Jacobs report for Period 1 of 2021/22 has been posted on the TfL website. https://content.tfl.gov.uk/project-representative-periodic-report-period-1-2021.pdf

It has an interesting paragraph on the last page about the introduction of FLUs on the eastern side.

The Stage 4A timetable was implemented on 16 May 2021, and infrastructure works to support FLU operations have been completed. FLUs were not in passenger service at the start of the timetable change, as there was uncertainty whether the Central Section would be available at the date when a commitment to starting the service was needed. With FLUs planned to start passenger serviceson 25 May 2021, the fleet available to support the service is currently limited to between 4 and 6, witha mixture of RLUs and Class 315 trains, until the completion of the August 2021 Blockade. From that point, there will be a rapid transition to full FLU fleet.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I had 345048 on Paddington Reading on Tuesday, so it’s entered passenger service. I did check the number several times to be certain.
Yes, 345048 has been in passenger service for a few weeks - first reported on 16 June but likely to be in use a few days before. 345025 has been in use quite a bit this week - the remaining numbers on the bingo card are, as far as I can tell, 345001/18/19/24/32/33/41/45/50/67/69.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Probably no bad thing given how free-range they'll all be once that happens
They won't exactly be as free range as some other fleets given they will be operating through a common core on a high frequency route with only a limited number of branches. If someone is happy with 'bus stop' leaps, it might even be possible to all the operational units in use on a given day once the tunnel is open.

Snow1964

Established Member
Just spotted another snippet in Elizabeth line board papers (page 4)
The planned blockade, for August 2021, would be utilised for synchronisation of the differing software systems and configuration of the passenger services. Any delays in the Trial Running testing would also be recuperated.

I read this as all the 345s will be standardised, same software etc, and updated to same Passenger configuration

As worded it implies all the trains (therefore including 7car units) would be done during the blockade, although I suspect in reality the 7car will be swapped out after line reopens and they can be transferred easily to Old Oak Common.

hwl

Established Member
Just spotted another snippet in Elizabeth line board papers (page 4)

I read this as all the 345s will be standardised, same software etc, and updated to same Passenger configuration

As worded it implies all the trains (therefore including 7car units) would be done during the blockade, although I suspect in reality the 7car will be swapped out after line reopens and they can be transferred easily to Old Oak Common.

Assuming the ELR100 software version is approved.

There isn't that much available space or manpower for 7 to 9 car conversion @ OOC so it will continue at a slow pace till September / October run on till the last of the 7car car units is done.

Availability of locos and paths for NLL drags will also be bit of an issue as the 9car units to the east will need to return west to OOC for heavier maintenance during the blockades too.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Availability of locos and paths for NLL drags will also be bit of an issue as the 9car units to the east will need to return west to OOC for heavier maintenance during the blockades too.
Another blockade would surely just result in the continued use of 7-car units and 315s on the east side with no 9-cars in use, just like the one currently finishing?

It is noticeable that only 345010 has been extended to 9-car since conversion of the 'west side 7-cars' was completed back in April.

How much operational urgency is there in practice for the remaining 18 7-car units to be converted?

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Another blockade would surely just result in the continued use of 7-car units and 315s on the east side with no 9-cars in use, just like the one currently finishing?

It is noticeable that only 345010 has been extended to 9-car since conversion of the 'west side 7-cars' was completed back in April.

How much operational urgency is there in practice for the remaining 18 7-car units to be converted?
It will become pretty urgent by the end of the "summer hols"

hwl

Established Member
Is that just about providing passenger capacity?
Much more than just that.

Having a single 9 car fleet in the Autumn is effectively need for the opening up sequence. (Trial running)

As soon as the core test running and in passenger service 9 cars units have the same software it becomes logistically easier to do conversions.

At which point a 3 week blockade with the "float" of spare 9 car units allows all the 9car unit software to be updated, testing and all the 9 car units to be available for passenger service before the end with enough for circa half of the service on the eastern side to be 9car at the end of the blockade. This enables remaining 315 withdrawal immediately and conversion of the remaining 7 car units by the end of September.

At which point they then need to start addressing most of the Christmas trees, test and other outstanding units (which are liable to take longer per unit than 7-->9 conversion).

345053 is in west service today (annoyingly without the wifi enabled, like some other recent sets).

hwl

Established Member
The Elizabeth Line Trial Running timetable is showing 12 trains per hour this morning. Does not seem to have started well though.

Looks like a problem with one train as it came into the tunnel section from OOC this morning, with knock on effects on everything else....

Status
Not open for further replies.